• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of Case/bag do you Carry?

I am looking to upgrade my camera bag due to growing collection. I was thinking about the Tamarac Expedition 7 but m not sure. I like the fact that it will hold your tripod for you.

What do you guys like?

I use the Tamrac Cyberpack 8 for my nature work. Holds a ton of stuff and has a hip cradle and chest strap. Tripod goes through loops on one side, monopod the other, and there's a padded compartment in the back for a laptop. Holds 40 pounds of gear and is very comfortable to wear on the back for long hikes. I can fit all my gear in it.

It does't work for weddings, though, so I've got a shoulder bag coming.

I've been trying to find a bag that does it all but I've come to the conclusion that one doesn't exist. So I got a Lowepre Top Loader which I can fit my camera with the 70-200 2.8 in it with my flash on the side. I'll be using that when I go places like the zoo where I some protection and quick access. To store all of my equipment right now I am using a backpack case but I'm not crazy about the fact that you have to unzip the whole thing to get anything in and out so I'm trying to find something to replace it. I think by the time I get done I'll have 3 or 4 bags.

I also like the Expedition 7 pack. I was considering that one as well but my budget didn't allow for it. Someday, maybe.

All I've been using is an old full size camcorder case. It works great for my 30D with 100-400 attached. It has a zippered side compartment for batteries, cards, cleaning stuff etc. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to come up with another idea when my flash gets here, due to the camera and lens taking up the whole bag. Ken, do you still have your Expedition 5?

Quote:
Ken, do you still have your Expedition 5?

Yes, Mike, I do. One of the reasons I was looking for a new bag was because the zipper got something caught in it and on occasion it separates and I was afraid I might lose something. Other reason was because I couldn't stuff everything I wanted to for a day long trip. I'll probably keep it, but use it sparingly for trips "to town". grin.gif

I use a Lowepro Computrekker AV. It has the slot in the back for the laptop, though my 17" widescreen doesn't fit. There are very limited sources for bags that will fit a 17" widescreen and photo gear, but I got a smokin deal on the bag when I bought it so I could overlook that. All of my camera gear fits in there comfortably. It also has some really nice shoulder straps, that are padded and have a shock absorber in them. It also has the waist strap too. Love it for just about everything. I have used it as basecamp for weddings, along with a shoulder bag. The only way I would get something different is getting a deal on one that fits a 17" and being able to sell mine for a decent price.

p-81 I had the same problem. I probably would have looked at an Expedition 7, but it would only fit a 15 inch laptop. I don't plan on taking camera and laptop together often, but I guess I might as well plan ahead just in case.

After using LowePro for over 25 years I switched to Tenba. Holds about 70 pounds of gear and a 17" laptop. Waterproof zippers with rain cover, wide hip belt that is removable, tripod holder in front. Expensive, quality built. It has been bounced around for a few years, lots of air travel and countless athletic fields, used as a chair, footstool, weight for light stands, etc. If this ever wears out most likely will buy another.

Holds 2 camera bodies, 300/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 5 other smaller lenses, light meter, cards, 10 batteries, laptop, 3 battery chargers, blowers, filters, misc. other smaller gear.

Also adding a Pelican hard case for more serious travel in the next month or so.

I could use one today Ken, sitting in Duluth waiting for games to start in monsoon winds and VERY wet fields. I hate to even set a bag down in this slop!

Used the Tamarac Expedition 8 for it's first shoot today. It is big and can carry a lot of stuff - more than you need for just an evening stroll. However, if you're serious about taking some time to get some photos, this will carry everything including the kitchen sink. Carried well. I think a large tripod may make it a little top heavy, but had my light one on today and it worked just fine.

I use the Lowepro AW300, no laptop spot, but I like that I can get a cropped body camera with 100-400 lens in the main top compartment and get it out by swinging the case around with out setting it down. There are compartments for other lens and such if you take it off and lay it down. Fairly comfortable to wear.

DMN