• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Proud Parent Eagle shots at their nest..

That's one ugly duckling!! Seriously good shots Marc! That second one is outstanding (I'd clone out that branch)!! Nice work with the new equipment.

Thanks for sharing the pics of the little one. pretty cool.

Thanks guys! \:\)

Sorry I haven't been here lately.. Things have been pretty crazy here at work and home.

Would like to go back out there by the nest on a sunny morning. Will post results as the days go by.

Thanks again!

P.S..I've already cloned the branch! Will post the pic tommorow. My hardrive is at work.

Alright...I've got time now. Got a meeting in about 15 minutes.

Here's the cloned branch pic...

eaglepairnestnoisefilter.jpg

And I've saved the best for last...actually it's not the greatest..but my favorite pic. The whole family shot. (wish that dang branch is out of the way!!) Not sure if I can get the same kind of pose the next time I'm out there on a sunny morning. It's pretty rare for the pair to be up there next to each other at the same time.

eaglepairwithchick.jpg

That day I called my mother and told her to get over to check it out. She came with her video camera. She has a Canon XLH1 camcorder with an EF adapter XL on with a 2X Extender with 100-400, (my lens!) to get this video.

Not very sharp with all the extras on the lens..plus a gloomy day...oh well. Take a look at the you tube link to the eagle video that my mother made...

(HOPE IT'S OK TO POST VIDEO LINKS!) eek.gif

For a better viewing..better quality, but longer to download..

BIGGER VIDEO

Both are the same..but you tube won't show it widescreen format. On the other link shows widescreen.

If you like it..please post comments on her You Tube.

Thanks!

Another update... \:\)

I sneaked out of my house early yesterday morning to get out to the nest. (I was supposed to do some little wood working to do around the house) I couldn't resist the weather being perfect for this.

Once I got there, I couldn't believe my eyes, there were 2 chicks there with the mother eagle in the nest! I quickly as fast as I can took the shot hand held to get that shot...I knew if I had set up the tripod, she'd fly away..Here's the hand held shot..Just one shot of her sitting with 2 chicks. Out of the 424 pics I've taken..this one shot is the only shot I've got her sitting with her 2 chicks!! Full frame here..

momand2chicks.jpg

about 5 minutes later, after I set up the tripod, the 2 chicks came back up and started fighting...about 20% crop here...

2chicks.jpg

I stayed put, taking alot of shots of them, with 2 of them, one chick..they keep moving around alot. I was SO excited, and can't get over the fact that I really thought there was only 1 chick till I saw them both. Wow..

Stayed for about an hour till the male came in with fish. I didn't even know that he was coming in..I was so busy taking shots of one chick till the male came into the picture..and IT JUST SO HAPPENS THE PICTURE HAD HIM BRINGING FISH!! Lucky me!! It looked to me that the eagle had ripped the fish head off, left foot contains the fish head while the right foot contains the fish's body! whoa! Full frame here...

momfood.jpg

I was excited and kept clicking away as he sits with them for only a minute while the 1 chick checks out the food. Both are about 20% crop here..

momsits.jpg

Come here and get your food! \:\)

momsits2.jpg

You can tell the big difference between the male and female..the female is much bigger than the male. And she's looks really beat up, her head feathers looks really messed up, while the male looks charming..smooth and sharp looking. Man, we men have it easy while the mother does all the work..heh!? \:\)

I really had a great morning..I lost track of time, and it was almost 10 am..I had to pack up and go home to work. Wish I could have stayed there all day! When I told my wife that I had some great shots, she looked at them, and said that I got off the hook, and didn't chew my butt off for not working. (whew!) crazy.gif

I could post more pics...just let me know. I've got the chick fluffing her wings, grooming, [PoorWordUsage] \:\/ , etc.. It's very fascinating and thrilling to watch them! \:\)

Sorry for not doing any pp or sharpening work on them..I didn't have time to do that right now..I'm at work. It's good enough to show you what's up with that nest!

Will go back out there in a few days and check and see how they're doing. \:\)

Thanks Dan.

Yep, they have been VERY good to me. I could tell by what kind of mood the adult eagles are in. If they're not in a good mood, they'd screeech at me, or kind of hopping branch to branch..you could tell that they didn't want people around. It's usually a good sunny calm day that they'd let me stand there and pose for me!

I've been VERY lucky so far. I'm hoping the little ones will accept me as they get older.

The only thing I'm worried about are the trees in front of the nest doesn't grow too much with leaves that could block the only line of sight to the eagle nest. Just have to go with the flow I guess. \:\)

Got a question though...do the 2 chicks grow together? I mean, I've heard that depending on the situation, enough food supply from the eagles, or shortage of food, they'd fight, and the strongest would survive? Or do the parents MAKE sure they're fed right and ensure their survival?

Thanks!

If it EVER warms up those leaves will start to be an issue I would guess, but the way we are going that may be a ways down the road. Keep us updated on the progress, this is not something most of us get to experience!

Marc, the chick that hatches first usually becomes dominant and stays that way through upbrining. That's because there's a lag between hatching that might be a couple/few days, and chicks grow at such an accelerated rate that the firstborn chick will have a size and strength advantage right from the start. The older, larger chick will fight for and get the lions share of the food. Eagle parents just drop the food in the nest and let the chicks do what they want. The parents aren't worried about fairness and equality like human parents are.

If the food is bountiful, both chicks are generally fine. If it's sparse, the larger chick will win the fight. Sometimes, the difference between the chick sizes is enough and the food supply low enough that the smaller, younger chick ends up starving and dying.

They don't call them wild animals for nothing.

Steve,

That's what I thought. Just wasn't sure if the parent's job is just to drop the food and period. Let nature takes it's course. Survival of the fitness!

However, the nest is just right on the shore of the lake..plenty of fish in there too. Eyes, Northerns, Pan fish. Shouldn't be a problem for them bring bountiful of food.

I'm just really in awe that I find myself care for them. I actually get worried eek.gif if it gets cold and raining/hail, like it did last night, they wouldn't survive this kind of weather. It's really unusual seasonally COLD this time of the year!! I know..I know.. ;\) It's nature, and they'll be fine. The more time I spent out there, the closer I feel to them! Can't help it!

Here are more pics of the chicks. Most of em are 100% crop.

singlechick.jpg

singlechick2.jpg

singlechick3.jpg

singlechick4.jpg

singlechick5.jpg

Another update!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Been busy with all the spring cleanin' outside!

These pictures were taken Sunday morning. I got up early, 6:30 to get out there and set up the tripod. Only I had a few problems getting a line of shot because of all the new leaves springing up. I decided to set up the tripod on my truck on the top of the cab! Risky, but worth it.

There's lots of pictures here! 8 of em'...

Chick checkin' me out..

eagle1.jpg

Chick is "arguing" with the other chick below the nest...

eagle2.jpg

Mother keeping a watchful eye on them...

eagle3.jpg

Testing out the wings...

eagle4.jpg

Missed the father landing shot.. \:\( Pretty sure he brought food..

eagle5.jpg

All four of them together...well, sort of..that dang thick branch is the way of the male eagle! Argggh!

eagle6.jpg

Better shot of the father shot between the branch..(sigh) wish that wasn't there! Would have been a PERFECT shot!

eagle62.jpg

Another stretching wing shot, only close up..

eagle7.jpg

Looks like they're coming along nicely! \:\) I'm thinking about taking out the pontoon and try it out on that lake in the evening shot when the sun would be on the other side.

Hope you enjoyed them!