• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Vacation

Hi everyone,

We will be up there this summer and I was hoping you guys could give me some must see locations for photos. We will be staying in the Duluth/Cloquet area from late June thru July 5th. Any suggestions? Please.

Yes, it's Split Rock State Park and the Split Rock Lighthouse. It's about an hour up the shore from Duluth. One of the most photographed lighthouses on the Great Lakes, it sits atop a very tall cliff, but they are doing preservation/restoration work on the buildings and lighthouse. Not sure when they'll be done.

Quote:
but they are doing preservation/restoration work on the buildings and lighthouse. Not sure when they'll be done.
It is supposed to be completed on May 14th (atleast the outside portion). Hey what does Split Rock Lighthouse look like with an incredible sunrise that lasted maybe five minutes??? anybody??? Oh hey, heres what it looks like. grin.gifgrin.gif

85230114.jpg

oh wait, another!!

87958174.jpg

85339438.jpg

87969318.jpg

85309300.jpg

87987966.jpg

Okay, enough self promotion... have fun up there!! ;\)

Oh and while your up there, could you get a picture of a Nuthatch in flight?

Originally Posted By: art321
We've stayed at lamb's a few times. Yes it is nice and the lake shore is wonderful there. But it is on the Cross River. The Temperence River is just up the shore aobut 1 mile.

yup, brainfart there grin.gif it's fun hiking up the temperance and jumping off the rocks to the water.

I like staying at Goose Berry Falls State Park. The water falls are cool, YOu have an amazing view of the lake, and you are equal distance between the light house, and Two Harbors and Dulth. I will be staying there on June 14th for the Guiness Book of World Records attempt at the longest continuous ATV parade. Guess I am going to need to rent a nice 10mm wide angle to get all them people in.

DeeDee, make sure you check out Jay Cooke State Park on Hwy 210 between Carlton and Duluth. There are many photo ops around the swinging bridge area (Headquarters of the park) and the many points that overlook the St. Louis River.

DeeDee, the whole area from Jay Cooke all the way up the North Shore into Canada is a must see if this may be your only trip to this part of the world.

Enjoy!

The camp sites are spread out. There is room for RV's with Elec/Water hook ups at the main campgrounds. There is a loop for tent camping and yes there is "remote" camp sites that can be walked into that are not by anyone. There also are a couple of private/city campground areas in the Fond du lac area of Duluth along Hwy 23 just off of Hwy 210. Many walking paths and such with great views. There is a State HSOforum you can look at if you google it. Good luck on your vacation!!