• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Push mower

eric29

I need to buy a new mower. I want something that will last 4-5+ years. Last year i bought a cheapy from the neighbor for 40 bucks thinking it was a good buy since it was only a year old and would make it through the summer. It only made it a month. I was thinking bout Husqvarna. What do u guys think about that brand or any suggestions. I want to spend around 300.

Here's a real Earth Day suggestion for you. How about a manual push mower? I've had one for 8 years and I wouldn't go back. They work for lawns under 8,000 sq. feet. Anything more than that is probabaly too big. You should check out the Sunlawn MM2 or the Brill Luxus 38. Blade sharpening every 8 years due to a non-contact blade setup. You can find them 200-250 dollars delivered. They clog on sticks and you have to take a couple of passes if the grass gets too tall but I except those limitations for a mower which always starts, emits no exhaust, very quiet, and no fuel costs. "No Mideast Gas for Minnesota Grass!" That's my rant.

I bought a Craftsman with a Honda motor on it. I had it for 3 years now, no problems. I like the Honda motor on it, its quiet, it doesnt viberate, good on gas, and its a Honda it will last a long time! You will spend a little more then $300 but you wont regret it!

Not sure how much they are now but we have a Toro Personal Pace mower. I think it was around $400 a few years ago. Runs great and cuts good. It's personal pace, so it's not like you are chasing the mower. It started up on the 1st pull this year with old gas and no stabil.

What there's more than one brand of walk behind mower that worth looking at?? Man someone should have filled me in.

I've seen people use everything. I've seen almost everything cr*p out after a year or two. Even a big name import brand that has a huge reputation for being harmonious. That import costs more than a Toro and seems to be prone to engine troubles.

So your options are:

Toro

Toro

or Toro

Well worth the buck and the service department doesnt like them because they are long lasting and trouble free.

Not sure who actually makes them, but the Craftsman mowers are a great value. I have had my self propelled Craftsman for 11 years now, and I have never replaced spark plug yet, and only changed the oil once. I mulch everything, sharpen or get a new blade about every other year, and it starts the first pull every time, honestly, except the first start of the year - this year it took two pulls.

I do now have a garden tractor that I used last year, so the push mower will get less use, but still fire it up every week for trimming. Whatever you get, I think the bigger rear wheels models are better. Good luck, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good mower.

In 2002 my wife and I received a push mower from her dad as he finds old "junk" mowers, both push and riders, and fixes them up and sells them. Well he gave us a KGro mower. It has been a long time since I have heard of KGro products from Kmart. The lady that had it gave it to him since it didn't "work". After a 50 cent part and it works like it was brand new. It starts on the first pull everytime, even after the storage after winter with no stabil or fogging. Just sharpen the blade add fuel, check the oil and it starts after the first pull every time. Great mower, it would be interesting to see how old it is. Would that info be on the serial number somewhere?

I've got a similar Craftsman 6.5 hi-wheel, $175 new. I know they don't have a stirling reputation, but it's been a very good investment (7th year now). I change the oil every other year, blow out the air filter, drain the gas/fog the cylinder in fall. I can't remember the last time it didn't start on the first pull (if ever). Fired up right away this spring.

I've got a Craftsman 6.75 hi-wheel self-propelled that I've had for 7 yrs. I change the oil and plug every other year and I've had good luck with it. It always starts on the first pull.