• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman lantern for heat??

FDMKB

just got back from Red we used two coleman lanterns to heat a 4x10 house, and when we left the lake the temp outside was aboot -5

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

The coleman will give enough heat in a small portable to keep your holes open when it is over or about 20 degrees outside. (It does not keep things warm and toasty however.) After temps plunge below that, especially with wind, you'll need a heater to keep things comfortable and to prevent ice up.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

[This message has been edited by Poutmaster (edited 12-11-2003).]

I use one all the time when it's not brutally cold.If it is I have a sun heater that's more than enough heat.If you have the same Speed Shack as I have,you'll find that even on cold days,if the sun is out,that black canvas really soaks in the sun and usually the lantern is good enough.Good Luck Fishing!!!

I actually wanted to start a post on this. Does anyone know the btu's on a lanturn? Last night it was pretty dang cold and I was fishing out af a 4 x 6 well insulated wood shack and it was hotter than heck in there. I would have turned it down but I hadthe wrong mantels and the werent throwing much light as it is, I had to tie them on with cable leaders.

Stray dog, sounds like you got pretty creative with the mantles.Funny what you can do when in a pinch,eh? Anyway,I don't know the btu's but they seem to heat any smaller portable pretty good unless it's super cold.Also,it's dual purpose because everyone needs some light after dark.Good Luck Fishing!!!

I've used a Coleman lantern to heat my portable for a long time. The only drawback is that you have to be very careful to make sure it doesn't touch the material your portable is made of.It can burn a nasty hole very quickly. There is one thing I've done that helps retain more of the heat. Take an empty coffee can, punch some small holes along the bottom edge. Make sure not to punch them in the bottom itself because that will not help retain heat. Then set the can on top of the lantern with the closed end up. You may be surprised how much more heat this will retain.

------------------
DIRTBALL2

I got a used dual fuel lantern from an uncle and filled it up with unleaded gas. Bright light but it gives off quite a bit of fumes. I also have a propane lantern that I think I will use instead. Does everyone use the propane versions inside their house and use the liquid fuel types for out in the open? Does the white gas work better?

I have been able to fish with temps around 10 degrees with just a coleman lantern in my 2 man portable (with 2 people in it) quite comfortably as long as it isn't too windy. You probably won't want to take your jacket off, but you won't need your gloves that's for sure.

I used to use a double globe Colman for my heat source in the open, and in a 1 man portable Trap.

What I would do in the open was put the lantern in the tall 7 gal pail and sit on the pail. I had added one of those riser seats that will leave open space on the sides for the heat to flow upward and the lantern to get air to burn properly. With an over sized parka on you become a heated tent.

The pail glows enough to still be able to see my rod tip while jigging, good enough for me anyway. If you wish drill a few holes for light to escape from. The opening in the seat razer also allows light to shoot out from between your legs.

In the portable I tried to keep the lanterns between my legs so the heat rose up for my hands. I managed to break a lot of mantles that way too. wink.gif I finally got wise and added a bungee cord to keep from kicking it over all the time.

The pail trick kept me the warmest. Still use it from time to time at dusk to chase walleye. Works OK for a couple of hours then if it's too cold it will eventually catch up to you. I think it is the moisture more then anything that gets you cold after an extended sit?

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

The best all around is the north star made by colman.It has a metal cage around the glass to portect it from falls.It has saved the day on red lake when it was 30-40 below zero.You can get a yellow glass the cuts down on the bright light but gives out luts and lots of heat.Dont wast your money and get the north star

I had one of them dome style catalytic white gas heaters once.

I tried that in the pail trick...bad plan.

I darn near gassed myself with that thing. I had a headache so bad I almost vomited from it.

So....skip that deal...besides it was a smelly undependable pain in the butt to use.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Backwater Eddy;

I too, drop my latern in a 5 gal pail and keep it real close to me. It throws off enough heat to keep my portable warm, plus the pail also seems to help by directing the heat.