• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Enough outboard for Lund S-16?

rockman

I recently picked up an older(mid-70's) Lund S-16,and the rating off of the tag says it can take up to a 40 hp motor.Right now, I have an 18 hp outboard on hand from my last boat.I bought the Lund without a motor.Is an 18hp motor going to be enough power to get me going with this type of boat? I am looking for a new outboard(more hp), but have to use what is already in the garage, for now.I know it may be a matter of going out and just use the 18,but I am looking for any thoughts,or experiences from others on using this size motor for this type of boat.I should add, it is an aluminum boat.

Hi,

by yourself, the 18hp would probably plane the boat well, but get any sort of weight in there and it will be a dog. It still might get on plane, but it will take a while.

Your 18 hp motor I would guess has some age to it as well, which, back years ago, they rated the horsepower of the motor at the engine and not at the prop like they do now. So...with a few percent loss in gearing to the lower unit, the motor is probably only around 15hp.

If you go with a new motor, I would use a bit of caution if you choose a 4 stroke motor....The old boats don't have the flotation to keep the boat level, and if you get into a tail wind, you could fill the back end of your boat in short order. If you can find a good used 2-stroke motor (like the Johnson 40hp...2 cylinder and light weight) that boat would go well.

Steve

The 18 hp is a 1972 Evinrude,so it is a little bit older than the boat.Thanks for the info. I am still chewing on whether or not I want to buy a 4 stroker.Probably will go with a 2 stroke motor.

18 will move you with 2 but wont get you up out of the wtaer the way you want. I would go at least 25 but the 18 will work. I had a plain old 16' and a 15 horse and it was ok with just me but 1 guy in front and it would not plane out.

It also depends on what you're trying to do. I've pushed my 16' Fisher around with my '63 Johnson 5.5hp. It's great for fishing around the bay, but it would take a while to go anywhere of distance and you wouldn't get on plane.

The 18hp will be fine. Enjoy looking at the scenery and pack a beer. It's more enjoyable than going Mach 1.

Originally Posted By: rockman
I am still chewing on whether or not I want to buy a 4 stroker.Probably will go with a 2 stroke motor.

If you are planning to fish alone much, watch the weight & balance factor. A 4-stroke in your h/p range is going to make you squat in the rear. Your boat has a fairly flat bottom. Any amount of wind will cause you to turn like a weather vane.

I had this issue with my '85 Alumacraft. I had a lot of weight in the rear and fished alone a lot. I even had trouble back trolling because I couldn't turn the motor sharp enough to compensate for the weather van effect unless I pulled a drift sock.

A 2-stroke is going to be lighter in this size motor. Also, anything you can do to move weight up front is a plus.

Antone else have this issue?

I had the same outfit a few years ago with a 30 hp Johnson which was enough motor for 3 people and gear to go 24 mph. I'd try and live with the 18 until you can get a 4 stroke.

I now have an S-14 with a 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and that does 24 mph with 2 people/gear and 28 solo. The motor has electric start & tilt & trim and was spendy but totally exceeded expectations in every way. The only downside is the close quarters with 3 people!

Hey Rockman,

I am thinking that the 18 might be a little small for what you are hoping to acheive out of the boat. By yourself you might be able to put it up on plane, but if you put some gear or another person in there, it might be a little tough. For the time being it will probably get you around, but trying to come across a 25 or 30 might do you a bit better. I would stick with a 2 stroke versus the four for a little boat like that, unless you went all the way up to your max at 40 hp.

I have a 14' Lund with a 15 on it, granted I have a bit of drag since it is a long shaft on a short transom, but with two I can get up on plane, with three, it ain't happenin. I pitched down the prop last year and helped a lot, but not enough. You are a bit bigger guy, in a bit bigger boat, so with two it might be tough. I spend quite a bit of time searching the web for boat and motor deals, and if I come across something that fits your needs, I will let you know about it.

I agree with everyone's sentiments here... but, since you've got the 18, put it on and see how it goes. You're not out any money to find out that the performance isn't great, but it'll work until you can find a bigger motor.

Oh, one other thing - if it's supposed to rain, pack rain gear. You're going to get wet on the trip back \:o

marine_man

Yep, all those burgers and beer over time hasn't exactly worked in my favor for this deal with the 18, but I will adapt. grin.gif I will be upgrading for sure in the motor dept., the sooner, the better.

I've got a 16 Lund Laker with a 25 Merc.(2 stroke) With 2 people it's fine, get 3 and a lot of gear, and it's kinda underpowered. 90% of the time I'm alone or one other person, so I get along fine. Alone, I needed more weight up front also, so I moved my battery up front and got a longer hose on my gas tank. If I need the weight up front, I move it up, if I don't it's under the back seat. Just moving the battery up front made a world of difference.