• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funny Shack Stories

Ishmel

I was just reading the interesting catch post and thought I'd contribute a funny shack story.

When I was about 12 or 13 I was fishing in SD with my dad and uncles on a little dam. The little shelter that they set up was just 4 pieces of plywood hooked together at the corners with the little hook and eyes like on a screen door, and the top was another piece of plywood hooked on to the sides with the same rigging. The whole system just sat on top of the ice as a windbreak. I guess it was a very early generation homemade portable. Anyway, the wind started to blow and I got cold so my dad drilled a couple of holes in the shelther and I moved in there to try to warm up. I'd been fishing for about a half hour and the wind just kept getting stronger and stronger. A particularly strong gust came up and wouldn't you know it, the top of the shelter came unhooked and blew right off. This barely had time to register in my brain though, because with no top to hold things together, the whole darn thing folded up with me in it and blew all the way across the dam!

Anyone else have some funny stories?

Was fishing with friend in my shack and he allowed his brother and two friends to fish in his. We heard some commotion outside so dicided to check it out. They had knocked over the Mr. Heater and one person's leg was on fire and the schack had a new hole the size of a door...

A friend of mine says this was on the Michigan Outdoors tv show when he was a kid.

A man was fishing in his shanty with his Black Lab. He hooked a nice Walleye and lost it right at the surface. In the blink of an eye, his dog jumped in after the fish and disappeared under the ice. The man was in a state of shock and figured he had lost his dog for sure.

Meanwhile 20 yards away another fisherman was jigging peacefully in his own shanty, when all of a sudden a Black lab came flying out of his hole. It surprised the man so bad that he turned and ran right through the side of his homemade shanty!

Thats the best ice fishing story I've ever heard. And supposedly its true!

Later,

------------------
Don "AJ" Peacock
[email protected]

Lapeer, Michigan

That'd have to be an awfully small black lab smile.gif

Mine is of my brother and my dad and me up on mille lacs on our yearly trip up there when I was little. My brother had a big eye hooked(5lbs), and as it came out of the hole it fell off. We only go up there once a year, late in the season, in a rented ice shack, so we dont usually catch a lot. So my dad wasn't about to watch this thing swim away. He catapolted off his bunk(keep in mind he was almost 70 with a bad knee and back) and reached down and jammed his thumb up in this eyes gills(we were planning on keeping it). Well, we got the fish, but if you have ever stuck a finger in the gills, you learn fast that they are very sharp, and can cause a lot of bleeding!

That or my first experiece with a pout as a child. My dad caught it(again at mille lacs) as he grabbed it, it wrapped around and around his arm like a snake. I believe I ran very quickly out the door.

I've heard the same/similar story. Kinda wonder about the Urban ( or rural ice) legend status of that one. The way I heard it was they were spearing and the lab got excited by a fish/its reflection or just got excited cause thats what labs seem to do. Dove into the hole and came up in another guys shack a little ways away. Its a good story and I guess stranger things have happened.

I used to take my bird dogs (GWP and Springer) with me everywhere. Then they took to stealing fish for me. They'd pillage the fish outside the doors of other houses, bring them back, and set them on my pile!

Several years ago, my shack blew across Harriet ( really cool, glare ice phenomenon), with two speed-skaters in hot persuit. They and the shack piled up in a big crash at the other end of the lake. They ran out of ice..........

I once owned a golden retriever. She lived to a ripe old age of 14 years. My Father would take daily walks with the dog. He trained her to pick up aluminum cans in the ditches on their walks. We also lived on a lake at this time. A smaller lake with little fishing pressure. At least from others, I fished the heck out of it! grin.gif We always seemed to have just one ice scoop, if more than one person was fishing the dog would fetch the scoop when you needed it. I was helping out in a local kids fishing contest one year and the dog came along. Being a friendly dog, she was left to roam around. After a while I heard people talking about missing ice scoops. A buzz of suspicion was spreading through the crowd. About this time someone yells out, "Hey, that dog's got my scoop!" My dog headed for my shack I'd set up, and went in. When I looked in the shack, there must've been 20-25 ice scoops! We announced over the loudspeaker that the scoops were found, and they were all returned. On the positive side however, she picked up close to 1/2 a garbage bag of empty cans that were left on the ice! smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

My dad was fishing with a few guys he knew from the navy, they were big piros and carried around explosives just for fun (which is strange) but anyways they went out fishing on coon lake. They drilled a few holes and one of them was about 10 feet from a guys ice shack so they could see the flag. The guys pulled up to the shack about an hour later and started b@#chen about the tip up being there so one of my dads buddies went over and moved it why the guys went in his ice shack really p#ssed still. One of the guys came up with a good idea to get the two guys back that were in the ice shack. They had thier half stick of dinomite and a bucket. later on in the day when the guys were least expecting anything out of the ordinary my dads buddy snuck up lit the half stick threw it down the hole and put the bottom of the bucket on it. 2 seconds later the guys came out drenched head to toe. My dad and his buddies just stood thier and laughed at them.

[This message has been edited by powman37 (edited 12-03-2003).]

My cousin was fishing on Mille Lacs, with one other fisherman, after a hard day of fishing and fun they hit the bunks, for some rest, later that night he wakes up and rain or water is falling on his head and jumps out of the bunk to see his buddy standing over him peeing on him. Always sleep with one eye open.