• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outdoor Practice...

Man what a great weekend.. I was up at the cabin testing out my new bag target stand. Had my 3D target bow and was sighting it in for longer distances.(40-50-60-70) Was also playing around with a few of my back tension releases... I shot one of the best 3 arrow groups in my life. Had all 3 shafts touching at 50 yards.

Man I love shooting out doors! Indoors is fine, but just love outdoors! And from the way I was shooting that BT release, might need to make it my starter for a while...

I have 3 of them Tom... Each a little different, I am scared as all get out each time I draw back that I am going to smoke myself in the yapper! Only did it a couple of times a few years back. The one I am most comfortable with is the Carter Attension. Hey, if we are planning on being at the same event some time I'll bring it with so you can check it out. I really only bust them out when I am suffering a little target panic.. they really do help.. but I would never use one for hunting.

BT=Back Tension

Its a hand held release, that works on..... wait for it.... back tension!...

You pull the bow back, and then start to contract at the back pulling on the fingers as you rotate. The release will click as a warning that its about to go off.. then poof, the arrow is gone. You just aim.. there is no trigger. The problem is, if you rotate your hand wrong, it can prematurely release, and you end up punching yourself in the yapper. Its important to pull with your thumb and pointer finger and then slowly pull with your pinky and outer fingers.

For those interested, your brain is somewhat your enemy. It reacts and flinches you so that your arrow will go where your brain wants it to.... To be really accurate you have to train your brain out of it. Just concentrate on aiming, the arrow will go when its ready.

atensionhinge.jpg

This is what many back tension releases look like(brand doesnt matter). That thumb bar is just that, a thumb bar, not a trigger.. there is no trigger. The release works by rotating the release by pulling with the end fingers in a smooth fashion. You can adjust the release as to which angle the release goes off at, and you can adjust it to have a "click" warning, or no warning.

There are quite a few releases in which you can fire a regular release using back tension, but if its got a trigger, its not a true back tension release.

this may sound dumb but the loop on the release,and the loop on the string would that not put to much presure on the nock? or is this a type of release that you dont use a loop on your string? never shot this type of release just use the little goose and like it, but for target shooting how would this help??

Depends on new or used... To be honest, I buy most of mine used. Your never really sure your going to like/love it... Many guys do the same thing, try a release, and then sell it..New I think the Carter Atension retails for about $90. I also have a Zeinith that new I think its more like $130 maybe a little more, but it was nice beucase it came with a training cam that you could put into the release and it would not fire the bow, but would tell you when it would have fired.. so you can practice in your house.. there was no way possible for the bow to go off.. but again you could practice everthign but the shot.

Most of the releases I have bought I paid under $100 for. I am currently looking for a Carter Solution 2.75 which is also a back tension release but has a safty so you cant release the arrow too soon and punch yourself.

There are a few other companies that make a back tension releases as well.. I know stanislowski does as well.. I currentlly only own the Carter Atension and the Zeinith Confort. Then I have a Cascade #10 and a Carter Insatiable which are both thumb triggers.

DD, forgive the fact that I'm a big dummy, but I don't get it. You rotate your hand to release the release??? Doesn't that make your aim off??

Obviously I'm missing something. Fill me in??? Please???

Concerning your original post, yup, nothing beats being outside. I'm not the tournament archer you are and I've only shot inside a few times in my life. I'll take the back yard over the indoor range any day of the week.

Boiler- The ammnt of rotation it takes does not affect your aim as much as target flinch or target panic. The biggest evil in archery or any shooting sport is antisipating the shot and pushing the pin towards the middle while pulling the trigger... a lot of archers pass shoot, they pull the trigger as the pin drops though the target area...

A back tension release take all that out of it. As your not 100% sure when its going to go off... So, you concentrate on aiming... and aiming only.

You can check out one-who-thinks-I-am-silly Proof Archery, by Bernie somethingorother, can't remember his last name. It's a good book with a lot of really good tips. I've only shot in a couple not too seious 5 spot leagues, but my consistency and form have improved immensly. Oh yeah, my scores, too.

Hopefully I'll stay in the recreational league frame of mind. I can hide new shotguns pretty well, but if I start a family like Dietz has....that could be real trouble.

Deitz, this is a totally new thing for me, so please forgive the dumb questions. So, what you're saying is it's almost, in a round about sort of way, like shooting a rifle? With a rifle shot you really shouldn't know when it's going to happen, and the shooter should be a little surprised when the shot goes off. This helps eliminate flinch, which from the sounds of it, is what the type of release you are talking about does????? Maybe??? Kinda sorta????

I'm not a tournament archer. I'd prolly get laughed outta the place if I showed up with my trusty PSE Express with no sights on it. So, some of this is pretty new to me.

I'm pumped... Just bought a new release and it came in the mail today... Carter Solution 2.75, now if this weather would let up, I cant wait to put it to the string.

Its another 'back tension' release, but this one has a safety. When you load the bow you click a thumb bar, it sets the head of the release, and the bow can not go off... which I love.. you then come to full draw and get set and re-set the thumb bar.. the release is now 'armed'.. pull through the shot and poof, the arrow goes by-by..

This is my first back tension release that doest have a click warning on it.. but that shouldnt be needed, as you dont take the safety off till you are ready anywho!

The deer dont stand a chance with you now DD. I wish I could get into practice more than I do but I just dont care for shooting at targets. I do realize that I should so I could make a few more diffucult shots and know my range a little better. I have always figured that if I can hit a softball sized target at 20-30 and 40 yards that I can hit any deer out there. Maybe I could shoot tighter groups or more consistant groups.

How much more accurate are you Dietz with the new style release?

Harv- I think the biggest thing is, I dont get the flyers...With my hunting release and such I will get a flyer every so often, an arrow that goes astray.. I get far fewer with the BT releases...

Keep in mind, I dont think I would ever shoot a BT release for hunting. But I think it teaches proper form and shot sequence and makes me better at shooting my hunting release as well.

Deitz thats a good BT release you got there. I know the safe lock is nice so you dont beat yourself up. I have got a Stan and of what i have used of it i love it. but it has been so long since i have shot my target bow i would prolly hit myself.

i know if i was good enough i would use my BT as a hunting release. instead of shooting a target your shootin at a deer and you still dont know when the shot is going to go off and yet you still shoot better because its all habbit. unlike a trigger release you know when the shot is going to go off and you have a higher chance of messing the shot up.

flatlander, that book you mentioned is a very good book. i bought it when i went to nationals last year and met bernie. he has got a lot of good advise and he has some very good BT releases especially like the carter that deitz just bought.

Hub-In my opinion, While I think you can shoot a triget release using back tension, you really cant get a surprise release, and eventually you end up punching the trigger. At least thats what I do if I dont get on myself day after day.

Fishhunt-Ive shot a few stans, they are very nice too...

Cant wait to vie the ole 2.75 a try!