• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHEDDING LAB - WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCF

Any suggestions to help with a yellow lab shedding. He is 10 months old, is a house dog, and sheds alot. We brush him, give him baths, and still keeps on shedding. Any help is appreciated. Have read about some supplements, do they really help??? Thanks

Not much you can do, dogs just shed. My advise would be to not go overboard on the bathing and brushing because sometimes this can make it worse as it dries there skin out. Also, do you feed your dog a good quality food? A healthy coat is the best thing you can do to minimize shedding. If you want no shedding you can get one of those hairless dogs like in the Aston Power movies. Ha, Ha.

dcf,

brushing is very good for your dog , it stemulates the natural oils in the dogs skin. You said your dog is only 10 months old he is still very young . you might want to try putting a LETTIL veg or olive oil in his dry food onece a wwek this will help just about 1 ounce or less. dogs should not be bathed more than 1 time ayr. unless he gets into something that makes him smell really bad.another reason dogs shed is cause of heat in houses when they are hot their skin drys out.check his coat for dandruff dogs can get it from dry skin. if he has it do not bathe but ad oil to his diet this will help. good luck!

I have two labs that are from different lines and they both shed, except on different schedules. So we are almost year round at our house. Like above, not much you can do. I would be careful with too much bathing as labs have oils that they need in their coats. I have found the best is just brushing them to pull out the lose hairs every day or so. Its the kind of a can't stop it sort of deal, can only hope to contain it!!

Originally Posted By: PikeBayCommanche
I got the "furminator" it really works I would give it a whirl if I was you. If you do it regularly it cuts down on the amount they will leave in the house for sure.

Where is the thumbs up icon when you need it!!!

I would also watch giving your dog vegetable or corn oil as they can be high in Omega 6 fatty acids. While they may give you a shiny coat is it very pro-inflammatory.

Your best option (for oils) is to get the dog a good quality Omega 3 fish oil.....if you are looking to add something!! This can help out with skin issues, and is also anti-inflammatory.

Olive oil may be little better than corn oil from what I have heard.

diet is huge in a labs coat but this time a year is when they are going to start shedding like the guys said because they are getting ready for the hot weather. i use a comb made buy bamboo company its about 2 inches wide works great costs about 8.00$ i got it at pet expo in mankato . i brought my lab there and ask them what to use the rest is history. also i feed nutro brand dog food . check out info on this food and talk to some vets.

I am feeding him the large breed puppy Nutri Source. I really don't bath him that much, just when he goes out and comes back all muddy right now, or after some field training. Is there a better food him???

That is an excellent food. Is there a better food for him? Only you and the dog can tell. Smallish, dense stools, good shine to the coat, good growth. If he's not showing this, you may want to try something else. Don't have a knee-[jerk-bait] reaction and change the diet because you've been caught off guard by what is otherwise normal shedding though. Labs shed. Double coats are sometimes brutal. At least the hair doesn't float like my GWP. UGH!

I have a buddy that vacumes his dog with the short little stubby attachment that no one uses. I guess it's for furniture. The dog loves it.

The only solution is a high suction vacum. Be prepared to replace the bags every few months as they begin to smell. Depending on your domestic arrangement you may consider actually running the sucker once in a while yourself.

Definitely need to check out the furminator. My wifes hardwood floor looks like it has a yellow rug on it every day! I'm now supplementing her food with a fish oil capsule and it seems to have helped some on the itching and stuff but the hair is still a flying.

I have a black lab and its that time of year where there coat is a adjusting to the climate. Actually this year after duck and pheasant hunting she spent alot more time indoors and she started to shed. But know it is getting worse.

Hemi hit it on the head with the fish oil. We gave it to our Golden Retriever after we noticed her coat was not what it could have been, and it helped reduce the amount that she shed, which we always figured was a hazzard of having a golden retriever. Also, There is a breeder of dog show cocker spaniels in our neighborhood. They give the dogs an egg every morning, hardboiling a batch every week. I've heard of a lot of people giving them an egg or two every week, some put raw eggs in, but the local veterinarian said that while the dogs won't get sick with salmonella from it, if they come into contact with people, people can get salmonella from the dog.

Try the furminator it works.

also the fish oil or eggs (though the eggs can give them gas)

my dog can clear a room.

we do the fish oil and it has helped.

this time of year it gets bad. but if you try those tips it will help keep it to a minimum.

Overall, grooming is the main thing you can do for your shedding dog and the Furmintor is the best product I have found to fight it. I have tried multiple brushes and shedding blades and nothing has worked as well.

I believe diet can play a part in it, but dogs shed and this time of the year they are starting to blow their winter coat so it's going to be worse for a while.