• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reloading

mrklean

Matters if you are getting a case trimmer, but for now, watch for streching and for cracks in the neck, those are what we look for when reloading, but BE CAREFULL, its addicting, BAD.... Have fun experimenting. For my .223 and my buddies .22 250 we found 40 gr VMax bullets, but we are now going to experiment with some different powders and i might set up a little experiment to see powder burning speeds. Could be an interesting summer.

Originally Posted By: mrklean
I guess my only question is with annealling and how its done. How long a case will last, i know it depends on the rifle and what not but those are my only two so far.

Annealing is done to soften up the brass so it can be resized and reloaded a few more times. You do this by taking a shallow pan and filling it with about 1/2 inch or so of water. Stand your brass up in the water and take a torch and heat the neck and shoulder of the brass, then tip it over into the water to cool it fast. This will discolor the brass, but that beats buying new stuff. I have used brass many times, you can anneal brass more than once, just watch for cracks and toss them at that point. On another note, you need to measure the length of your brass and trim them into spec after resizing.

i have never annealed my cases. I am fortunate to have a prertty good supply of brass right now and haven't felt the need to anneal at this pt.

I usually trim to spec before resizing, but now that I think about it, you should check after resizing too, since that stretches then cases as well.

Thanks, im not sure how soon ill start reloading still have to do some research on presses and what not. I know I will get a number of different answers but what brand presses do you guys like? I know there is Lee, RCBS i think it is, Hornady, and others.

I just started reloading this past week, and am only reloading handgun loads in 38 Special and 357 mag. I have an RCBS 2 loader, a Lee die set for the 38 Special and an RCBS die set for the 357. I have an RCBS 505 scale and powder drop. I started loading 158 gr. SWC using 4 gr. of Unique in the 38 Special. I have not loaded for the 357 yet. I have an older Speer manual. I've loaded approx. 100 rounds, and have not crimped any of them. I think I need to crimp the 357 mag's, have tried a couple of times on no primer, no power shells, and cannot seem to get it right. They don't appear crimped even when I set for crimping. Any suggestions?!! I am using Unique since it is left over from my shotgun loading days. Is this an OK choice?

I use unique for 10mm and 45acp, you should be fine. When I crimp for my rifle rounds and handgun loads, I crimp to where I just start to see a crimp line around the mouth of the case, Then I back it off until I don't see the line anymore. That has worked for me so far............I should probably start saving my 38/357 brass too..........