• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I believe spring has sprung.

My mother called yesterday, all excited that she had seen 10 robins in a tree next to her apartment. It always annoys her that I generally see my first robin of the year, weeks before she sees one. I was impressed, since I hadn't seen one yet. When I talked to her last night, she upped the numbers to 50 or 60. This morning, the robins were there around 7:30. I told her to call me next time they showed up, in numbers. She called 1/2 hour later and said there were about 30 there. Considering she only lives about 2 miles away, I decided what the heck. I'd grab my P & S and see what's happening. I was quite shocked. There had to be at least 300 robins in the trees, next to her apartment building. I've never seen this many at a time before. They were all over in the trees, and even in the parking lot. It was quite the sight.

The geese, snows and canadians, have been coming over by the thousands. I saw large flocks, just outside of town yesterday, going out to a field. As they landed, I could see the white wings. Last night about 9:30, while walking the dog around the block, I could hear the large waves going over, heading north. I just loved the sounds of the honking. Then I'd hear nothing for about a minute, and then more flocks would come over. They were very tough to see in the the dark on a cloudy night. I came across another guy out listening to them who reported that at about 7:30, he knows there were at least 5 to 6000 geese flying over. The ones I saw today, were flying southeast. I assumed the ones last night were headed to Lac Qui Parle refuge. The ones today must be looking for food or maybe headed to the Rochester area. Whatever, it sure was cool.

Plenty of robin photos. I never thought I would ever enjoy taking pictures of the common robin. Actually, this was fun. The males sure are bright, in the spring.

These were all shot with the Panasonic DMC-FZ7.

2352821310_b19dd9bbac_o.jpg

2351993353_d0ba34b37b_o.jpg

2352821464_4d44672677_o.jpg

2351994263_05efe20e6b_o.jpg

2352821708_f2730e1895_o.jpg

2351994017_54547dd2f4_o.jpg

Cute Couple

2351993781_f4b2d2aafe_o.jpg

Awesome stuff X! Glad to see it. We had a few inches of snow where I am right now. I could sure go for some nice weather and some more birds. Heard my first cardinal in awhile today out in central MN. Send those robins our way!!!

Great shots X, It's nice to see some signs that spring might actually come this year. I was really getting excited until this last round of snow!

Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter

Mike

Originally Posted By: buzzsaw
Look at them all!

Amazing, isn't it Mike. grin.gif

Steve, I've got plenty to go around. Just give me a week or so. ;\)

mmeyer, I'm excited, snow or not. It's just a matter of time.

mcary, just have a little patience.

X-Tackleman, not sure how it is in Marshall for ducks and such, but in Worthington on the lake, there are a wide assortment of divers, goldeneye's, bluebills, and mergansers. Just to let you know, I almost caught a picture of an albino Canadian Goose that was on the lake, also a pair of Trumpeters. This last week in Worthington there have been many great bird sightings, I even saw a Bald Eagle on the way home from ice fishing in Okaboji this afternoon along with thousands of geese!

Originally Posted By: X-tackleman
mcary, just have a little patience.

I must say that you were a touch prophetic. I saw my first robin of the year today in Park Rapids.

Wow XT!...Were talkin robin central here!...never saw that many robins in one spot in my life...lol!......nice images for sure!...and I noticed you captured em with the Lumix grin.gif...no robins here yet...I did see some grackles in a farm field yesterday.... hmmmm.....maybe they were starlings....cold gray and windy here in Hibbing today...9 degrees windchill.....not robin type weather...tough to pull a worm out of the ground with 2 feet of snow in my front yard..... grin.gif

Mccary, I told you to have just a little patience. ;\) By the time you get home, they'll probably be in Duluth.

Yep Jonny, I still like my Lumix. I figured I would need a bit of a wider angle than what my 100-400 lens gives. Speaking of windchill, we are at 3 degrees. Like I've mentioned, we always have more wind down here. eek.gif

I picked my mother up for church this morning, and the numbers of robins are down to 2. I wouldn't blame them if they headed south again. It's pretty blustery here, today. However, while typing this, the sun is trying to make an appearance.

Since I'm stuck spending this afternoon at my in-laws, I'll be driving the countryside looking for hawks or whatever. I guess I won't really be spending the afternoon there. I'll be eating and running. grin.gif The Canby, MN area, which is 30 miles west of Marshall, always has more wildlife, due to it being a bit more hilly and a few more wooded areas. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Nice shots. I think they knew there was a good meal looking at the tree and how many berries have been picked off. No robins up here yet. Missed my chance at a couple of eagles sitting in a tree when I left home yesterday. I stopped on the township road and 1 took off. The other one sat there till I was getting the camera ready and as soon as I was zooming in it took off. Got 1 click and it was way out of focus that I couldn’t even see it. It landed in another grove that was close enough to get some pictures but decided against it because the highway was snow covered and very slippery. Where the eagle landed there were two crows in the same tree. Were they trying to protect their territory? Didn’t see any wildlife this morning coming to the shop. I guess maybe for the first shot I should have drove by and got things ready farther up the road and turned around and tried it. They sure looked big being that close.

Yep, either the berries have all been eaten, or they decided it was just too soon to be this far north. My grandma always said that robins had to walk in snow 3 times, before spring was really here. Well, one more time. Come on SPRING.