• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

F150 Condensation in the engine?

Changed my oil in my 03 F150 last week and noticed on the bottom of the filler cap there was a milky substance that I'm sure is water mixing with the oil. It was just on the filler cap, the oil looked fine when I drained it and I'm not loosing any coolant in the system. I was talking to a buddy and he said that sometimes you can get condensation in there somewhere and that's where it's probably comming from. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

In my Hanes manual, for a lot of the fluid changes, it says to drive it for 20 miles so the fluid is hot and flows out better. I dont think I've drove that truck over 10 miles in the last 3 months. I got to go out to Cokato this weekend to work on the boat so I'll just keep an eye on the coolant level and if it doesnt go away after this weekend I suppose the next step is a compression check. I have to tow our 20' boat up to Kabetogama on opener, I was just hoping I wouldnt have to squeeze a head gasket replacement in there before then.

Thanks for the help guys.

The white milky stuff on the oil cap isnt anything to worry about in most cases. Now if there was white milky stuff coming out of the drain plug, then be worried! As they said, short trips do this. Also a bad pcv can do this as well, may not be a bad idea to blow $6 and put a new one in. But as you said you put alot of short trips on it, so most likely thats all it is from.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if a couple miles at a shot is all you drive, you may want to take a quick peek at your exhaust, also. If you arn't heating it up enough to get the condensation out you may be looking at some exhaust replacement down the road. Stainless exhaust helps but it more expensive.

As stated, the milky stuff on the cap is no big deal. If it were milky white in the pan I'd be nervous.

Ya, 99.9% of the time this is a normal condition . I figure in your case is normal.

This time of year (winter months) with the extreme temp changes in the block, heads and other metal/plastic stuff inside the eng., condensation will occur. The filling cap is one of, if not the highest point inside of the eng. and does not see the constant bath of oil splashing around. This is why moisture builds up at the cap.

I see this more so on Chrysler products than Ford (due to the long neck on the oil filling point), but have seen on almost all engines at one point or another.

I thank you guys again for all your input. Glad, make that really glad, to hear this is common or at least isnt a major problem. I've been limited for the last 3 months on how much I can drive and that changes on Wednesday so at least I can get the vehicle out and on the road for more than just the drive to and from work. Like I said earlier, I've got to do a 50 mile trip this weekend out to Cokato so it should all burn up there. I take hwy 7 so it's 65 mph all the way from St. Bonni to Winstead. That should take care of it.

This is part of the reason the manufacturers recommend more frequent oil chages if you primarily drive short distances. The foam you are seeing is contamination and the filter may not be able to remove it efficiently.

Bob

Fortunaltly for me that was the only stage (except fines) since it wasnt a DUI. All I needed to do was pay $20 reinstatement fee and none of it would have happened, but I didnt even know my license was revoked, got pulled over, then got 90 days no license. I even showed the prosecutor the recipt that I paid my ticket on time, but didnt matter, "I should have known my license was revoked", even though they didnt send me a letter saying so. 2nd one in 2 years they dont have much sympathy. So a $100 speeding ticket turned into a $300 ticket and a 90 day suspension because I waited untill the last few days to pay the original ticket.

But anyway, fells good to be back on the road now. Thanks for the insight guys.