• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo Ice house owners, please respond

I am thinking about getting a eskimo ice house and was told that the wind goes right through the canvas of the house. Is that true? Is the canvas too thin? Are they cold when it is windy out? Or is it just wind sneaking under the canvas where it meets the ice.

I was also told that when it is windy they tend to flap too much in the wind. I already have a Voyager and like that house but want to get a bigger one.

Please let me know as I really like the Outpost.

I purchase an Eskimo, when I got it out on the lake the canvas was very sub- standard. I contacted Artisan and they said the new cloth they use was better with a h20 proof lining. They sent me a new canvas free of charge including shipping and apologized for any inconvience. The new canvas was all they said it would be and love my house and the company I purchased it from. P.S. made a travler cover for for the house out of the old skin.

fishbitten, when did you purchase your ice house? Do you think the new houses have the heavier canvas? Also how did you contact them? Could you give me that info so I could get ahold of them. Thanks alot for your response

I would also like the info. However I have had no problem with mine. Most of the wind came under last year without any snow to pack around it. I have a traveler and really like it. It was a great shelter for the price. I got it last year at the ice show. I like the green color it makes sight fishing a blast. Mine has a bad zipper however but it is only the top three of four inches so I just call it a vent.

Cubbies

The newer Eskimo houses have heavier, treated canvas. Wind will not blow through the canvas--I doubt wind would blow through any canvas.

They are a decent, lightweight house that provide comfortable seats and quite a bit of room FOR THE COST. They are not the best quality house a guy could own (Otter), but I liked the space better than in comparable Fishtrap models.

My house is easy to set up (flip-over) style and has plenty of room for two guys, a lantern and a heater.

If you pull your house by hand, like I do, an Eskimo will get you the best bang for your buck. If you tow with an ATV or sled, I would get an Otter. I frequently fish by myself, so weight is a factor.

I have also heard great things about their service, which a guy needs when he's not dealing with top of the line quality.

You get what you pay for with this one, but it is adequate for most fishing conditions.

I just got the Eskimo quick flip II deluxe. It was on sale at Fleet for 235.00. For the price I do not think it can be beat. Concerning quality/service. I will have to see. It is good to know that they are willing to assit if there is a problem. One question I do have is that it appears this years model also has changed and has a fold down padded bench seat vs. the two fold downs. Any feedback on the pro's and con's of this change? I will post my impressions later in the ice season. I have another as a back up just in case of trouble..

I had an Eskimo for two years and I can say that it served its purpose in good weather conditions. But once the weather turned I had trouble with keeping heat inside the house. You get what you pay for. Eskimo is trying to get into the market and it sounds like they are making efforts to improve there products so I can't knock them for that. But I have upgraded to a Otterskin Magnum.

Dishman

Ekimo FleetFarm deal, doesthat include the seat as well? Do you think its comperable to the Otter,or others? Might be too hard to pass up. I plan on pulling it by hand.

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 11-26-2003).]

eyehunter,
Eskimo houses an augers are distributed by Ardisam in Wisconsin.
I don't want to post the link here, but if you search the net for ARDISAM you'll find them easily.
Twitter

[Note from Rick: here is the link to Eskimo:
http://www.Ardisam.com ]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-26-2003).]

Another Fleet/Eskimo Question, Is the Quickflip II at Fleet Farm a sale price or regular price? If it is a sale does anyone know for how long? I called Fleet, but they wouldn't discuss anything over the phone- it is against the store policy (they wouldn't even tell me how much they were selling them for!), and I am about an hour from the nearest Fleet.

All

I picked up a QF3 at Fleet last winter just after Turkey day for $199.99. Also got the tow hitch and cover. Had to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive (rain check). Went to the ice fishing show - did some price comparisons there - NO ONE could touch Fleets price.

I used it all last winter - no complaints - other than weight. It's heavy to pull by hand. Mine has seperate fold-down chairs - vs the bench seat this year. Canvas is good quality. Mine was missing one pole out of the box, but a phone call fixed that. Guys that I've fished with like the house.

I've found I can lash my power auger to the chair frame w/ bungys, saves room in the tub for other stuff.

UG

Eyeballs, how long did the set up take you on the Eskimo quickflip. Any issue's I should be aware of before I begin the project. I purchased at fleet last weekend for sale price of 235.00. I plan on putting this together on Friday.