• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Gear

DTro

This time of year always seems to bring about the age old question of what kind of gear is needed for pursuing these great fish we call the Flathead Catfish.

While it’s hard to make an argument against the KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid) it’s also very hard to recommend sub par gear to someone who wants to seriously get involved in going after these beasts.

All it takes is one broke off fish, due to a bad drag system or weak line, to realize that one needs to match the right gear to the right fish.

In the long run, matching good quality gear to your individual fishing styles will more than pay for itself in dividends.

One can take any species of fish and can make a valid argument as to why certain types of gear are needed.

Heck, I can take a $30 med spinning combo and catch ANY species of fish in the entire state, including Flatheads. But there's a better way.

Is it any more than taking a broomstick type combo spooled with twine and lobbing out a large bait?

My opinion is yes. This is what makes the fishing industry go round. My belief is that if we keep treating these fish as nothing more than a simple bottom feeder that anyone can go out and catch on a snoopy pole, then the fishing industry will continue to put this fish on the bottom of the priority list and will never get the respect that they truly deserve. And again we will find ourselves sitting on our hands waiting for the gear that we desire.

If you find yourself in the position of wanting to spend a fair amount of time chasing these Flatheads. Do yourself a favor and take a few hours and read through a bunch of the threads here in the Cat forum. There is a wealth of knowledge from some great fisherman.

What you will find is a trend. That trend is that the same quality gear (some of which is very affordable) is recommended time and time again.

My advice to you is that if you are going to invest your hard earned money, then invest it into some of these recommendations and I promise you won’t be sorry.

I started out cattin for flathead with the gear that was a little less including my reels. I have now changed and purchased some top of the line gear and will not look back. When that 50+ flathead hooks up, I want to know that both my rod and the reel including the drag will perform well so I can land that fish I have been angling for, for quite some time.

Seems the larger ones will without a doubt test ones gear to the max.

Originally Posted By: harvey lee
Seems the larger ones will without a doubt test ones gear to the max.

I'm not sure about the gear but they'll test one's nerves to the max. grin.gif

Only fish I've ever fished for that'll cause my hands and knees to shake.

Quote:
Only fish I've ever fished for that'll cause my hands and knees to shake.

Hanson

After all the anticipation in winter, seems like the same things happen each Spring. In the early morning hours a clicker goes off in the dark and 3 anxious flathead fishermen crash into each other sure it was their reel going off.

Dtro is right and if you flathead fish long enough you will realize that good quality equipment, maintained at maximum performance will greatly increase your chances of landing big flathead.

If you can't get excited about big flathead please recline in the pine box and stay quiet.

This past weekend found Tyler and I out chasing fish both days, and more than once the conversation turned to flathead fishing. In fact we were on the river yesterday at Red Wing and we were talking about potential flathead spots. It has been this way for probably a couple of weeks already, that is talking about cattin', man did we ever get bite by the bug last year! And then finishing out the season with that 40lber was really cool, 'cause now we know that even we can do it!

I am always on the lookout for good terminal tackle. Swivels, hooks and sinkers are often overlooked. I usually find good stuff when I'm traveling on the coasts. Shore casters have some great stuff for catting. Hans

I remember when I first started out catt'in. Trying to find good gear was more of a trial and error thing than anything else. I lost count of the broken rods, stripped out reels, bent hooks, line that mysteriously disappeared, and floats that ended up floating down to the Gulf of Mexico because the gear was not matched to the size of the fish I hooked into. How I ever stayed fishing Flatheads is a sorry tale of insanity and stubborness!

These days, however, catfish are finally getting the respect all of us have always known they deserved and manufacturers have geared up whole new lines of well made, balanced tackle just for big Blues, Channels, and Flatheads.

One such manufacturer is Zebco which makes the "White Rhino" rod with the Shakespeare Tidewater bait casting reel. Many other major manufactureres have followed suit. and now have balanced equipment specially made for catfishing!

Newer, stronger, thinner materials for lines have been a big improvement too. As have other improvements in terminal tackle.

All you have to do is look in catalogs like Bass Pro or Cabela's to see them. In my opinion we have come a long way from when I got started fishng Flatheads back in the 1960's.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Cooter, my favorite Flathead hook for live baits is a 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus.

I used circles on and off for quite a while and just recently "saw the light"

Originally Posted By: UncleKes
I remember when I first started out catt'in. Trying to find good gear was more of a trial and error thing than anything else. I lost count of the broken rods, stripped out reels, bent hooks, line that mysteriously disappeared, and floats that ended up floating down to the Gulf of Mexico because the gear was not matched to the size of the fish I hooked into. How I ever stayed fishing Flatheads is a sorry tale of insanity and stubborness!

These days, however, catfish are finally getting the respect all of us have always known they deserved and manufacturers have geared up whole new lines of well made, balanced tackle just for big Blues, Channels, and Flatheads.

One such manufacturer is Zebco which makes the "White Rhino" rod with the Shakespeare Tidewater bait casting reel. Many other major manufactureres have followed suit. and now have balanced equipment specially made for catfishing!

Newer, stronger, thinner materials for lines have been a big improvement too. As have other improvements in terminal tackle.

All you have to do is look in catalogs like Bass Pro or Cabela's to see them. In my opinion we have come a long way from when I got started fishng Flatheads back in the 1960's.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Good post! Makes me think sweet thoughts...

Correct my if I am wrong, but I figure the 10/0 is spring time and we migrate to a 6/0-7/0 during summer months.

If I remember last year, people (my self also) where kind of throwing the circle to the side in late summer. This all depends on what type of bait you are using. Live or cut!

The "J" started to become more popular.

I have a ton of 10/0 gami octi circles and I will start using them, but there is that learning curve we have to start over again. I lost many fish with braid line and a circle hook last year.

For channels, the gami octi 6/0 circle is the best. After you learn how the set the hook, it is the best for any size channel. IMO

Cool, thanks. Might have to get some of those big 10/0s. I've wondered if even 7/0s are a bit small, especially with the bluegills I use. Of course, we don't have the number of big fish around here that you MN ducks do cry.gifmad.gif

Originally Posted By: shackbash
Correct my if I am wrong, but I figure the 10/0 is spring time and we migrate to a 6/0-7/0 during summer months.

The "J" started to become more popular.

Channels... I prefer circles 80% of the time. I've always been a fan of the Gami Octopus, no circles for the flat, except in unusual circumstances.... I start at 7/0 early in the season and work my way up to the 10/0 as the water warms and the bait size increases.

Nothing in the world like winding up for a Eye Crossing Hook Set on a nice flat. Oh Yeaahhh!!!!

Am dusting of the side of my brain for cat fishing, but does Gami make an octi “J”? I recall they do. Could be wrong though.

Thanks LFC for the correction. I think those of use who are pollywogs, started with the 10/0 and then moved to the 7/0 during the summer. The Blue Noses, started with the 7/0 and then went to the 10/0 grin.gif.

I knew I could drag some good info out of the Pro's ;\)

I too have used the 10/0 Gammi Octupus for Flats and about a 4/0 circle for channels. I was hesitant to use the circles at first but once I got past the learning curve I had great success with them. Does anyone here use circles for live bait for flats? It was something that I considered, even had them up to the checkout and then decided against it. Just wondering everyone else's thoughts.

10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus (J-hook) for livebaiting flatheads.

3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles for cutbaiting channel cats.

When I'm specifically fishing large cutbaits for flatheads, its a "how do I feal" moment if I go with a clicker run J-hook or a tightlined circle hook. If I'm specifically circle hooking for flatheads, I'm looking at a 9/0-10/0 Gammi Circle.

Originally Posted By: crazyice
Does anyone here use circles for live bait for flats? It was something that I considered, even had them up to the checkout and then decided against it. Just wondering everyone else's thoughts.

Last year I switched to Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks for flats and I had no hook up problems at all. I normally use a size 8/0.