• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck bed liner and tonneau cover

I am planning on buying a new truck soon and know that I want to get a bed liner, tonneau (roll up) cover, running boards, bug shield, and mud flaps. I know I can get these all at the dealership but is there a better way to go about getting these additions? I see that you can buy them at Fleet Farm and other locations and assume I could probably get it cheaper from another location but I'm not too confident in installing these things myself.

What have other's done with their trucks? What is the cost of installation? Is the spray-on or paint-on yourself bedliner any good?

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~Dan

I only have experience with the spray-in liner (Line-X), and I have had nothing but good luck with it. It's been in a little over 4 yrs and is still holding up well through loads of rock/firewood/dirt being shoveled out etc. I've put a few dents in the bed, and it just stays formed to the dent. It also has a lifetime warranty, so if I do take a chunk out of it I can get it fixed for nothing.

I'm in the same predicament. New truck and in need of a spray on bedliner and either a topper or tonneau cover. I many just go with a toneau cover so I can still put the wheeler in the back and fit the whole works in the garage.

I've been told by the dealership that $450 is the cost of the spray on liner. I haven't priced out the cover, but would guess they're somewhere close to that as well.

I initially had a tonneau cover I found new on hsolist for about $120 and used it for 3 yrs. I found that for ice fishing I had issues fitting everything under it (and it was easy to get into if someone wanted to steal everything). I lucked out and found a used Leer topper that matched the color of my truck and I've been happy with it. I tinted the windows darker to make it more difficult to see what's in it. and with the locks it keeps the honest people out. grin.gif

I have a Line-X spray in bed liner, great quality. I also have an Access Roll-up cover, they take about 15 minutes to install.

I have been very happy with both. Access-Cover also has great customer service, I broke the clips that hold the cover in place when rolled up, I called them and recieved the replacment clips the next day zero questions asked.

I have had two trucks with the Vortex sprayed-in bed liner and I love it. It is a good, durable liner. I got it from Waldoch in Forest Lake and they did a great job. I went over the bed rails on my current truck and that is definitely the way to go. I have hauled wood, gravel, fishing gear, etc. and the liner has been as tough as a brick wall.

I have talked with people that have done the Herculiner do-it-yourself liner and it didn't last for them.

I would strongly suggest getting one of the spayed-in liners such as Line-X, Rhino Linning or Vortex.

Originally Posted By: mtwalleye
I was thinking about trying the Herculiner kit. Anyone have any other opinions or experience with this product?

My wife and I put it in her Tundra a few years ago. It didn't stand up very well. Some of it peeled off and it really faded in the sun. It has a chalking appearance to it.

The peeling part might have been our fault but we followed the directions to a T. Its just hard to get a even coat when you apply it with a roller....some areas were thicker than others and it really started to wear after about two years. I also didnt care for the texture of the product...it was not nearly as smooth looking as I was wishing it would be.

On the other hand, I had a Line-x put in my 05 ford s-crew and that thing still looks awesome. going on three years and not one problem. Just my two cents.

Cliffy

I have the Rhino liner over the rail in my Tundra 03 I think it's okay. It has some warping and makes it hard to access the tie down hooks. I guess that's what liners do. Then again it's better than a rubber bed matt. Tundra's have the shallowest of beds, and Fords probably has the deepest. Not sure about current new models.

I've had a TruXedo roll up cover on my truck for almost 7 years now and love it. I am always putting things in it for work where any kind of hard cover just would not work.

Twice over the years I've had issues with the velcro not holding. Once they got me a new piece that slides into the frame part-no charge. Once I needed the cover replaced because that part of the velcro wore out. Only had to pay for labor to install it, maybe $20, for a new cover. Bought it at a topper dealer. Most places that sell aftermarket truck accessories or toppers/campers carry them.

Seems to me they are less than $300.

I got the bug shield and mud flaps through the dealer. I had the Line-X bedliner installed and its still looks very good after nearly 4 years. I bought my Nerf bars and installed them myself so I would think running boards would be easy to install yourself also. I got a topper so I can't help you on the tonneau cover.

I've had an access roll up cover now for 7 years now and have no regrets - no velco replacement, canvas wearing out, etc. It still works and looks great!

I herculined my bed - which turned out pretty good. Since it's under a cover I haven't had any problems with it fading or chalking, but I have heard of that happening to others who don't have a cover for their box - the UV light tends to make it fade / chalk.

The herculiner works pretty good if you don't use your box all day every day, or if you're not throwing metal / rocks, whatever that will chip / gouge it.

It works for me, but it definitely isn't the most durable liner out there by a long shot.

marine_man

I have an Access Cover and after 5.5 years the vynil is starting to crack along the sides where it folds when rolled up (use alot in cold weather). I called Agri-cover today and they are sending me new vynil at no charge. Wonderful customer service!!!

The vynil is cover for lifetime as long as it is installed on the saem vehicle it was purchased for and still owned by the orignal owner.

I would buy no other cover ever! They are simply the best and fastest to open and access the bed!

Spray in bed liner, I would call Armor-thane in Ramsey.

Tonneau cover, try Trucks Unlimted in Big Lake.

Look on line for tonneau cover to get a base price for the color of you truck.

Price them out and see what they say. I know local dealers use them and mark up charges at the time when you purchase a new truck..

Good luck..