• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many holes can your auger drill?

nd_limit_keeper

I used just about exactly half a tank on somewhere between 75-100 holes with a 20 year old jiffy model 30 one afternoon in late december when the ice was around 10".

EDIT: 3 HP motor and an 8" bit

Don't you love the outtings when you spend twice as much time moving and drilling as you do actually fishing...

Love the old jiffy though the thing's a tank... durable, fast, and HEAVY

Well begining of the week I drilled 65 holes through roughly 28-30" of ice with my Jiffy 2hp 8" STX. Tank was almost full at the start of the day and was pretty empty at the end of the day, Id guess less than 20 holes left. So I guess that makes about 75-85 holes per tank for me.

Originally Posted By: Bemidjifisher
I helped cut holes for the Perch fishing contest on Bemidji a couple weeks ago.. Using a 6" strike master we drilled in the neighborhood if 175-200 holes per auger full of gas. And tore the transmissions out of 3 or 4 of the 6 augers with only 6" bits.

That is why I won't buy a strikemaster. I did the Brainerd contest twice drilling holes and each time burned through 3 augers.

I use an eskimo now. 3 tanks per year on average and 40-60 holes per trip 3 trips per week. Same auger 5 years now and never a problem..

During Fishapalooza, some of the high schooler baseball players doing the drilling ran through a tank of gas on their Strikemasters. I suspect some of them went 200+ holes on a tank. Don't know how big the tank is...perhaps a quart??

I usually have my Nils Blades sharpened at the end of every winter. Some years, like this one, they really need a sharpening. Lots of holes and tons of ice really worked them out this winter.

When I used to run my Jiffy Chipper I could get a couple seasons out of it but it was a beats. 10" 3 horse. You didnt drill a lot of holes with that PIG.