• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pitching Rod?

ptkane

Hiya -

'Perfect' is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but I know what I like...

7' to 7'4" fast action med-heavy or heavy power (depends on the rod mfg on the power - they tend to vary a little bit and a slightly slower 'fast action' heavy ends up performing about the same as a faster med-heavy), fairly short butt section, split grip is nice...

My pitching rods are maybe a little longer than some guys would use, but I fish out of a Deep V rather than a low pro bass boat, so I can get away with a little more length.

It's what I like - your mileage may vary... \:\)

cheers,

Rob Kimm

What do you need a pitching rod for? Keep fishing the 20' range with your buzzbaits and you will be just fine. Leave those skinny waters to us guys that get nervous when the depth finder shows deeper than 6'!!!

Here are my two favorites:

Custom made with Rogue MB705 7” MH 12-20lb ¼-1oz. I like this most pitching situations because its lighter than a 7'6" and I can be a little more accurate with the 7'.

Custom made with Rainshadow IFS904 7’6 MH 10-17lb ¼- ¾ for the thick, heavy stuff. I have a bunch of 7'6" pitching sticks, but this is my favorite because it is a one piece, not telescopic most 7'6" I have seen.

Both are custom made with split grips and no foregrips. They both have spiral wrapped guides too. I love the split grip and no foregrip for my pitching rods. I feel like I have a more sensitivity with no foregrip, and lighter weight with the split grip. You can come on out and play around with them a little bit if you want to.

Longer rods dont make sense to me for pitching. I use 6'6" to 7' rods. My favorite is the heavy action 7' Kistler Magnesium "jig & toad special" with a Diawa Fuego on it. Like Bushwackers choices it has the split grip/no fore grip which seems to be copied by everyone this year. The combo is very light and sensitive. I caught a lot of big fish on this combo last year.

The reason I use a longer rod when pitching is so when I set the hook I am able move more line than if I were to have a shorter rod. I am able to get a better and faster hook set because I can move more line in a faster amount of time once I feel the bite.

Good question.

I look at a couple different situations: If I pitch pads then a 7 or 7'6" is good because I can swing the bait out far with accuracy and land it softly. Also, normally nothing is really in the way of the target of the bait.

However, if I am pitching tall grass and trees coming out of the water, I prefer a 6'10" rod because I may have to pitch over things to get the bait to land in the sweet spot. It works for me.

I mostly use the 6'10" St. Croix heavy action rod for most pitching. I do use a 7'6" rod for pitching jigs.

I do agree that the longer rod will be better for leverage.

Good fishin!

Originally Posted By: st.crioxfishin
The reason I use a longer rod when pitching is so when I set the hook I am able move more line than if I were to have a shorter rod. I am able to get a better and faster hook set because I can move more line in a faster amount of time once I feel the bite.

Argee with that!!!

Anytime you want to come out. Definitely got the fever bad already. Talking bass fishing for a couple hours might give some temperary relief.

Sorry about letting the cat out of the bad on the buzzbait thing, but you can't expect something that successful to stay under wraps forever.