• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what do you think????

wally20

Found a 2000 Polaris 500 remington edition, 1525 miles, tires are 70%, has extenstion racks, looks to be in condition, asking $2900/bo kelly blue book is $2850. What do you think?? Not looking for debate, we've already done that. Anything good or bad about them, previous owners or any thing you know about them?

Thanks for your imput....

In that year Sportsman, it is not an HO. Just pointing that out in case you didn't notice. There is a power difference. I believe the Ho has 38 HP at the crank and the non HO is 32-35, can't remember for sure. I have ridden both and there is a difference, but not alot to be noted IMO.

Also, that model has something like 30 grease zerks. Some people like that, some prefer the newer sealed stuff (gas it up and ride it, like Honda).

According to what I found on KBB is trade in at 2240 and retail at 3200. Looks like you are right in between. Seems to be a decent price according to that. It seemed to hold it's value very well.

1500 miles isn't bad either. I have almost 1000 on my '06.

Is it a private seller or a dealer? With 1500 miles I doubt the stock tires would be at 70%. Maybe see if you can find out something about that.

Heres what you need to look at or check. This era Sportsman has some problems, make sure to check the rear wheel bearings, check the tie-rods and ball joints. We have three Sportsmans a 2002 400, 500HO and a 2003 Sportsman 700. I wouldnt worry about the power much, yeah the HO is nice but its not needed or underpower. But the price sounds good. One thing to check is the U-joints also, I'm not sure if that year had u-joints or cv joints on the rear axles but the cv joints are better. Also another problem is the mechanical seal you cant check that, but look for oil in the coolent or coolent in the oil. But this machine with only 1500 miles shouldnt have any of these problems. When they get around 3000 miles is when these things start going out. The mechanical seal seems to go out more in the twin engines then the singles.

This machine should have the CV's on the drive shafts. It should also have EBS (Engine Braking System).

Roofer was close on the grease zerks. I counted 28 on the SP I had. I never had major problems with mine and I rode it like I stole it.

Another area to check is there is a plastic bushing at the base of the steering stem that goes out fairly quick.

The first 500's were non H.O. motors. Cams had less lift and duration, and used a 34mm Mikuni carb. They left the motor alone and placed it into the Magnum 500. Polaris then gave it a better cam, flow, and larger 40mm Mikuni, and named it the H.O. and it developed 20% more power, polaris placed it in the Sportsman, and also gave it to the Scrambler to help it in sales against it's own 400 2 stroke.

The 1997 500 was the oddball . The 1998 500 was the first year with the new HO motor. They may have put a mixture of engines in different models and I am not sure how to tell on a sportsman if it is an HO or NON HO. It probably says on the quad somewhere.

As far as other things to look for, these guy nailed it.

Originally Posted By: rundrave

The 1997 500 was the oddball . The 1998 500 was the first year with the new HO motor

My SP 500 was a 2000 and the HO came out as a late 2000 model 6 months after I purchased mine (2000 1/2 as some would call it).

the H.O. equipped machines usually had it on the machine. There was possibly some other designation in the VIN or model number that would tell for sure.

It could be that the first H.O. motors had their birth in the Scrambler 500 and finally made their way into the SP in the later '00 models. I don't recall when the Scrambler 500 first came out.

well maybe I was off a year or two, my post was primarily to explain the difference between the 500 and 500 HO.

I know the Scrambler was introduced in '97 as a 400 2-stroke, the Scrambler 500 four-stroke was really only created in '98 because of all the heat that was getting layed down on 2-strokes (emissions etc). Because the two-stroke 400 still spanked it in drag races, first year sales of the 500 weren't up to expectations. So they went back to the drawing board and created the HO.

rundrave,

thanks for that clarification. I was really unsure myself. I just remembered how angry I was to purchase the SP500 to hear news of the SP500 HO was coming shortly after.

I've ridden a couple of the 400 2-strokes and they were quick.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
 Originally Posted By: huntmup
rundrove, if the 1997 sp 500 is an oddball, what would that make my 1996 sp 500? grin.gif

Dan

Antique? J/K

I was thinking Dinasore.

ATC 90, that takes me back to my grandparents farm in 1971, 72 & 73 that machine was a flippen hoot. Man did we put the beat down on that little red Honda.

LEP7MM, WOW thanks for the trip.

Dan

Make sure it doesn't creep when idling in gear, that is a sign of needing the ebs reworked in the primary clutch. Don't be afraid to pull off the seat and side panels and look around for swamp grass remnants in places it shouldn't be. I wouldn't buy anything that appears to have been swamped at one time.