• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Split Rings

HugoBox

I've read almost every musky article out there in recent months and noticed that about 80-90% of the pictures of lures show split rings. The % in my box is only about 30-40%. These are the details I'm trying to get better at. Is there a general size/brand that you use and are there any lures you don't use them on?

Hiya -

I use mainly Wolverine triple rings. About impossible to straighten out, and you can put them on without a split ring pliers when you need to replace hooks, which I like...

About the only thing I don't put split rings on are bucktails with a fixed hook. Other than that, if a lure comes without split rings, I put them on. Without split rings, fish can really get leverage and tear hooks out, especially if the bait itself is heavy.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hiya -

I have 5s, 6s, and 7s in my parts box, so I just use what fits I guess. Because the triple rings are wider the big #7s don't always fit in the hook hangers on some lures so you have to drop down a size. If they won't fit at all, the Thorne Bros. heavy duty split rings are a pretty good alternative. Actually, the TB rings are very good, and cheap as all get out if you're going to need a lot of them to upgrade some baits.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Spro, size 4 5 6 or 7, whatever fits. . strong as all get out,and made to fit most hooks without fouling inside the eye of the hook, never had one turn rusty. but because they are so strong and top quality,they aint cheap. also not easy to change a bad hook. triple rings are strong and easy to change and if they fit the eye right are great. sometimes you need a ring if the bait comes without one and you want to change a bad hook,and aren't comfortable spreading open an eyehook, or it is a twisted wire like a bucktail, and you don't have a new wire to retie it. some baits are made without rings for the sole purpose of keeping the hooks far enough apart so they don't foul up with each other. others to keep cost down. i personally use about 99 percent Spro rings, swivels and snaps for all my baits and leaders. they are just top notch and trouble free. not cheap, but the best. the other one percent i'll use a triple ring, mainly for baits that came with them to keep the balance correct or for ease of changeing on certain lures where the hooks are many. with spro a quality extra long nose split ring pliars is a must. rapala has my favorite style. in the end it's really what does'nt bring that bait to far outside it's original intended design. some can be pretty touchy. a couple grams can make a lure do loops sometimes. good luck.

I sound like a broken record, but I really like the Wolverine trips too. 100 count bag is like $8 bucks, so $.08 each, worth it if it means less chance of a failed split ring. Been there.....not a good feeling, I would have paid $80 per split to have that fish back......

Pretty much having split rings on your lures makes it very easy to be able to use the lures over n over even if you cut the hook out of a muskie's mouth... Just carry extra hooks in your tackle box and a good split ring pliers...

I have seen and heard of several people unable to use their lures after cutting them out because they dont have the tools to replace the hooks in the boat...

Now with split rings... just get the hooks replaced and go back fishing with the same lure... Another vote goes for Wolverine Triple Split Rings...

Now having said that...

How would you guys do your homemade flouro leaders??? Would you put a swivel on one end and a split ring on other end? Would you use a solid ring instead??? Reason why I ask is that I did make two batches of Flouro leaders... One had swivels and snaplok and other had solid ring and snaplok...

I just do what Stealth does, barrel on one end, snap on the other. Double barrel sheath on both tag ends and main line. 130lb Seaguar. Some short for regular baits, some long for trolling. I don't use rings at all on leaders.

Originally Posted By: Rebel9921
How would you guys do your homemade flouro leaders??? Would you put a swivel on one end and a split ring on other end? Would you use a solid ring instead??? Reason why I ask is that I did make two batches of Flouro leaders... One had swivels and snaplok and other had solid ring and snaplok...

Hey Rebel9921, I am thinking of trying out flouro leaders this year. Are you using flouro for everything??? How do they work with gliders/jerkbaits???? Thanks for any help!

I'm not Rebel9921, but I use fluoro for everything. I started with titanium and steel, but once I started using fluoro I haven't seen any reason to use anything else. Gliders, JB, Weagles, whatever. Fish don't seem to notice, I caught some nice bass on 130lb fluoro with a Cisco Kid topper \:\)

One interesting trick I saw Chad Cain use was to leave about an inch of tag end at the barrel swivel end of the trolling leader to catch weeds with. The weeds stick on the tag end of the leader (which is perpendicular to the mainline) rather than run down the leader to the bait. I think he uses a trilene knot for that.

I love it... and many others I talk to wouldnt use anything else... If you're planning on buying premade fluoro leaders, I'd recommend Stealth as they're top-notch... I know my leaders can withstand a 43" muskie... and Im confident that they can withstand 50+" muskies...

If you're planning on making them yourself, Thorne Bros can help you out... Like RK regularly preach, get a good crimper (cup to cup)... and be sure to take a lighter to the end before crimping to make a "ball" at the tag for extra security... I know some people would tie a nail knot then crimp the end and put superglue on the knot (Which is what Stealth does)... also when crimping the crimp... make sure both ends on the crimp flares out like a bell... get crimps made specifically for fluoro as the ones made for steel would basically cut into the fluoro as it would expose a weak point and cause the leader to fail... I did make a post in the past about Fluoro when I decided to make my own... heres the link : http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...146#Post1090146

I havent really used much gliders/jerkbaits in 2007.... I mainly use Cowgirls... with some topwaters coming in a distant second... I've used Mag Dawgs, Hellhound, Hawg Teaser, Reef Hawg, and Suicks with my homemade leader but its too early to say if it performs well... I've seen some postings where some are saying they'll try heavier Fluoro with jerkbaits/gliders...

Maybe at one point... I'll tie on a jerkbait leader on one rod/reel outfit and compare with the one with fluoro...

Hope this helps...