• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Different species?

saskcarp

I like to fish for carp in summer sometimes and burbot in winter. I know these aren't the "holy grail" of species but one tastes good and the other fights well!
Anyone one here ever fish for more unusual species in open water and/or ice?

Goldeye and Mooneye like rivers. I find them in all the tributaries of the Red River basin. You will likely find then in most of the rivers of the Great Lakes basin as well.

Goldeye
goldeye.jpg
The color varies from dark blue to blue-green on the back with the sides silvery and the belly white, iris of the eye is typically yellow to gold and there is an adipose eyelid present, teeth are present on both jaws, often mistaken by anglers as a gizzard shad.

Mooneye
mooneye.gif
Mooneyes have deep bodies that are strongly compressed laterally. Color varies from steel blue on the back to silver sides and a white belly. The eye has a silvery iris. The belly has a fleshy keel but lacks scutes. The head is blunt and rounded with a slightly oblique mouth. Teeth occur in both jaws as well as on the roof of the mouth and on the tongue. There are 15 to 17 gill rakers along the lower limb of the first gill arch. The fish has adipose eyelids. Scales are cycloid and the lateral line contains 52 to 57 scales. The dorsal fin has 10 to 14 rays and inserts forward of the anal fin, which has 26 to 29 rays. Males have a sickle-shaped anal fin, and in females it is concave. An axillary process is found near the base of the pelvic fin.

The main difference between the two at first glance is fin placement. In appearance both are quite similar to herrings, having adipose eyelids, scaleless heads, cycloid scales and a prominent axillary process.

They are distinguished from herrings by the lack of scutes, the presence of a lateral line, prominent teeth and the dorsal fin is inserted directly above the base of the anal fin.
370.jpg

They both will eat just about anything. I often comment if they got very big you wouldn't want to fall in or they will pick you clean like piranhas.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Anything with whiskers is Kewl with me.

grin.gif

Call me Crazy but I love ice fishing for Mooneye/Goldeye. They are crafty critters and can be quite challenging at times. They fight much like a slap crappie will. They are notorious bait pickers, much like a hit and run trout. I have a blast with them.

Some days/nights I really get frustrated, so it just makes me work that much harder at it. Targeting non traditional species from time to time can help to sharpen your skills up.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-21-2003).]

My brother and I were at Washburn Wisc
fishing in Chequagmon Bay, for trout.
Fish were not biting so well that late
morning, and I see some guy all alone
fishing. And he was busy!! I went over
to see what was biting. He had 2# test
and waxies fishing for smelt. I thought
that was kinda odd, but he explained to
me that,"yeh, you can catch a ton with
a seine or dipnet in the spring when
they are spawning, but in the winter
they are firm and not mushy". Which is
true for elepout, trout, and salmon,
or any fish thats not spawning.
TonyS

Dogfish- man, I remember when I was about 8 years old and saw my first dogfish swimming around by the dock. At that time it was the biggest fish I'd ever seen- and man was it ugly. If you've never seen one, its got this fin that basically circles around the whole body. Underwater, its tail looks more like something an eel would have than a fish. And this fin kind of ripples when it swims. Bony head- real ugly. I caught the thing on some nightcrawler, and my dad smashed its head with a rock and threw it in the woods. I don't even think they're bad for the lake, but he's old school and must've thought they were. Anyhow I caught it in the morning and the thing was still alive, with a smashed head out of water in the evening. I've heard that farmers have dug them out of dirt fields, still alive, weeks or months after flooding. Hell of a fish if you ask me.

Bowfin are cool!! Smelly - but cool! My kids have caught a couple each, and each time it was an awesome brawl! Aerial 5lb action on a snoopy-pole! The best was a spawn-time male last May on the Missy in Monticello. His fins were bright neon green and he had a big black and orange spot on the tail. Awesome fight - like a Northern, but with more stamina. We (my kids and I) fish carp and sucker all the time - mostly 'cause it's an easy angling style for kids (and their caretakers wink.gif )

Hey ya'll -
Go to the events forum and check out the Metro RATS (Rough Angler Tournament Series). More of a series of derbies, really. A chance to target those "other" fish for a cash-pot and have some old-fashioned fun & tailgating.

Rob

Aquaman01, that Bowfin you caught was a female. Only the females have the spot on its tale. Another interesting fact about bowfins. Bowfins come to the surface every few minutes to breathe air. They use their swim bladder as if it were a lung. They also use gills to breath in the water. Bowfins have also been around for 390 million years! I don't know why people consider Bowfins as bad for the ecosystem, considering they've been around longer than any other species in our lakes.

I've caught carp ice fishing on Long Lake in New Brighton thru the ice using dough balls for bait just like summer. Hooked the fish in 6 feet of water in March. Only caught 2 but man they fight.