• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is "all-braid" bad?

BassProAddict

My 4 setups that I use (Cranking,Jerking,Worming and a utility rod) are all sporting braid line.

Mostly, my reasons are that they are very small and light,doesn't twist much,good camo in green water,longer castability.

I'm not a tourney angler and I'm not skilled enough to look for what mono or fluorocarbon can offer.

Am I missing out on things here? Am I misunderstanding some basics?

Help appreciated.

What i would suggest is that you try to go to a fluorocarbon for worming. And the reason that i would say this, is becuase you are going to get alot more feeling off the line then you would Braid. I am a huge braid guy when it comes to slop and docks, but when it comes to deep water worming, fluorocarbon is tough to beat.

Braided line is awesome stuff, but some downside:

- more visible than fluoro and mono

- no stretch means crankbaits won't dive as deep, and some braids float

- can dig into stumps and wooden dock posts (but I think the abrasion resistance makes up for this)

I think it's good stuff, but you might want to try some mono just to get a feel for when it might be a good line. If you are going to use fluoro, you might want to consider a larger diameter spinning reel, cuz the stuff wants to spring off the spool, especially on the smaller spools.

I run 90% braid. I think if it is working for you, no need to switch. I would assume your using Fireline or Powerpro on those spinning reels. It is tough to beat the sensitivity of those for plastics fishing. If your worried about fish seeing your line, you could always use a 2-3 foot leader of flouro tied directly to your braid. The only thing I use mono for is a crankbait rod. Everything else is Fireline or braid.

I'm using Spiderwire 10lb braid on everything.It's lighter and comes of my 1000 reels quite well.Aside from providing insurance for my lures, I've just really gotten used to it.

I'm mostly concerned if I'm getting reduced action on softplastics due to this or SIGNIFICANT strike sensitivity loss.

i would say anything over 15 feet. I was using braid all around, untill i started to fish more deep water, so anythign deeper then 15 fow, i dont use braid for. Also, when im worm fishing, or jig worming or whatever it might be, that rod and reel will never have braid on it, becuase i want to have the best feel i can have, and i feel is with fluorocarbon

A bit OT, I mostly set the hook when the thump/bump I feel is quick.I've read in a lot of articles that some slow thumps may actually be lunkers as opposed to think it's just a hangup.

Do you "just know" when to set or do y'all think we miss a lot of lunkers by this misinterpretation (and can fluor help in this sense)?

Here is my take on the subject... and if you read my posts a lot, you have seen this before. "What works great for some, doesnt work well for others." You need to find out what works for you.

At one point in my fishing career(if thats what I can call it)I was 100% braid. Had braid on every rod..I too liked the sensitivity, the easier hook sets, the durability. I however got the feeling I could have been getting more bites and loose less fish(I did loose a lot of fish). Now, I only have briad on a few rods, I would say I am 80% floro/mono maybe even more so... I use briad for dock skipping rods, and for slop... thats it. I feel with mono I get more bites and land more fish. It works for me. Find out what works best for you.

BPA-I dont think you can really "tell" how big a fish is by how they suck it in.. .It has more to do with the fishes mood at the time. Also the lure you are throwing has a huge affect into how hard the fish will hit it. For example a Jig N pig bite, is often much different than a drop shot bite.

The best bite I have ever felt... Has to be during a tournament last year.. .Rush Lake, flipping jigs to a weed edge.. Ran into a school or 2-3lb bass.. they hit the jig so hard, you could hear the line(20 lb florocarbon)in the rod guides... it actually made a buzzing noise.. I ended up catching 25 fish in about 30 mins. It was crazy...

however, my fave bite overall... the one you dont feel.. I love it when a dropshot lure just starts to swim away from you... That is the best! never felt a thing, all a sudden your like.. hey, wasnt my lure over about 4 feet a few seconds ago? FISH ON!!!!

This is just me, but I kind of disagree with Bass N Spear blush.gif . I don't think you are going to loose too much sensitivity with using braid in deep water. Think of braid as really small diameter cable. It doesn't stretch! In my experience, the way "most" bass grab a worm in deep water it they hold it, and it feels like a pulse or a

"wet sock" as many say. When I use braid deep it is for feeling mostly what kind of bottom I am fishing, not strike detection. For example when I scan an area with a football jig, I use braid because it transmits the bottom much better than mono.

To use braid all the time is risky business. Esspecially for crankbait fish. You will loose more fish because it doesn't strech. (My walleye buddy says that braid will make cranks run deeper though, and it does, because it is small diameter not a good trade off though for bass)

I ran powerpro on all my reels last year fishing almost exclusively for bass. The biggest reason for this is less frequency of broken line due to slimmers. Don’t get me wrong I had plenty of times I got bit off. But for those of you using mono don’t you have problems with northerns breaking your line in your deeper water tactics?

Not to disagree with you but I had the opposite in deep water just because if the northern turned its head there was no give or stretch so it would break without me even setting the Hook! but I can agree with using power-pro alot. But I still think that on a hot summer day on a clear day floro or mono is the way to go. But it all comes down to what your comfortable and confident with!

I too feel you will get more sensitivity in deep water, braid doesnt stretch.

I'm not sure if BPA's question was directed at me.. maybe was, maybe wasnt..

I found I often times had an extra large hole where the hook was on bass using braid. Unless the hook found some serious meat, IE fatty part of jaw or inside the mouth. I often had a large hole, and the hook could and often would work its way out. I trie dfor awhile to use rods that had more give to them, but then felt I lost the ability to work the lure(much like I hate using a spring bobber for ice fishing) So I went back to more stout rods and mono and floro...

again, what works for some doesnt for others! Go with what feel comfortable.