• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twin Cites carp lakes

I live in Eagan (just south of the cities) and am looking to shoot some carp this spring and summer. I only have one one spot (lake bylsbe) and want to expand my options, does anyone else carp fish around this are?

Try the St. Croix River - however, I don't know exactly where. You could try Phalen Lake - it's got big [PoorWordUsage] carps! I don't know if they allow shooting carps there though. Good luck!

If you are willing to drive a little try Lake Minnewaska in Pope Co. MN The carp gather in the bays on the north side of the lake.

I have seen them so swimming with their fins out of the water by the hundreds throughout the spring and summer.

What are the regs for shooting bows in the city? I'm guessing the "true" city lakes(minnehaha creek, hiawatha, nokomis, harriet, cedar, isles, calhoun) may not be allowed? Just curios. My bro used to shoot them in Hiawatha and the creek, and got the cops called all the time on him, but don't think he was ever ticketed...?

"it is illegal to discharge a bow in Hennepin County."

Seriously...I called last season because a buddy told me a spot in EdenPrairie where the carp were there for the taking. Was going to go out the next day with the bow, but called the EP PD to make sure and was advised otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Lowblazah
"it is illegal to discharge a bow in Hennepin County."

Interesting because I got the OK from the police chief in Crystal, which is also in Hennepin County.

I'll continue to shoot until told not to. I think you just need to be smart about it. Shooting Lake Calhoun on a sunny Saturday is probably asking for trouble.

Actually he said "its illegal to discharge a weapon in hennepin county, and a bow is a weapon, so technically speaking you would not legally be able to bowfish any body of water in Hennepin county" ...wish I could remember who I talked to.

yeah I thought it was weird too because isnt lake minnetonka henepin county also? I know a few folks who shoot there without incident.

Originally Posted By: Browningbolt
i believe that the dnr regs say that you are allowed to Bowfish in any lake that fishing is authorized, execept trout lakes. I'd double check it though.

That is true, but if city ordinance prohibits you from firing your bow, you are SOL.

So dose that mean that the guys hunting deer in Hennepin County are breaking the law. even though they have tags for that area?

I think they mean guns not bows.

I grew up shooting carp on tonka and never got in trouble.

It is a sticky situation. A bow is considered a firearm in the city. But some city parks have archery ranges in them. Eg. Lake Calhoon and Nokomis used to have Target bales. I have shot Minnetanka in the past without any problems.

Browningbolt im in the same sittuation as you. i live like 2 miles away from lake bylsbe and that the only place i have every bowfished at, besides on the river. just wondering how often you go out on bylsbe. me and my friends are out their every weekend in the boat attacking carp, and i have never seen anybody else out there

EP police are absolute morons so there's no real surprise they said no. I suggest not shooting in EP just because it's too [PoorWordUsage] uptight and people look for reasons to complain. Yeah, i've had some bad experiences.... \:\) Happy Fishing.

Well, theres alot of places you can go... just have to catch them when they come close to the shoreline... i would say early morning or late nights..

phalen lake, keller lake, spoon lake, st. croix river, the chain lakes (mpls), island lakes, many more....

you can also go to the DNR HSOforum and do a Lake finder... that should help... but i've had many success at phalen, island and st. croix... Good Luck!

"Doing it!! Cause Just LOVE It!!"

Lake Calhoun still has target bales on the south side....that are part of a city park I believe. I've talked to guys out shooting carp on Minnehaha throughout St louis park, and edina and I have done it out on Tonka and talked with a CO out there while doing it who had no issue with it. I think as long as you do it safely, and properly dispose of the fish, you shouldn't have any issues.

Lake Calhoun has archery target bales near by? Interesting.

Even if it is/was legal to shoot a bow for rough fish in a lake like that, I can't imagine how many calls people would make to a CO/police if you were out doing it

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_guy
It is a sticky situation. A bow is considered a firearm in the city. But some city parks have archery ranges in them. Eg. Lake Calhoon and Nokomis used to have Target bales. I have shot Minnetanka in the past without any problems.

Which City considers a bow a weapon? You have to check the Legislative Code of the City you are considering. I just searched both St. Paul, Minneapolis, Hennepin County and Eden Prarie and can't find anything about bows.

Yep, Tom is spot on...it falls under a City's codes.

The best way to get a 100% yes or no answer is to email the city (preferably) police dept and ask if bowfishing is allowed in that city. That way if they say "yes", you've got it in writing and you can show it to anyone who might think otherwise.