• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching Muskies While Pike Fishing?

Hi guys, I've always wondered about other people's views on using musky baits to catch pike before early June. As far as I go, I LOVE pike fishing, and I'll use most of my smaller (and some bigger ones for trolling) musky lures to chase them before musky opener. I won't go for musky, but most of the spots are similar, and I've had a couple follows from muskies. Do you guys think it's okay to use musky baits before musky opener?

I have caught many muskies on lindy rigs, #5 shad raps, spinner rigs. I'm sure bass guys catch them to. Question is how will the local CO veiw your bait choice. Thowing a 5 of Diamonds 1 oz Daredevil to me means northerns, DC-8 could go either way.

I think I would just wait to whip out the big baits until after opener. On Big Mantrap I've seen people get stopped throwing small bucktails before musky opener. I've never seen a citation issued, but they quit throwing inlines. Technically all musky baits could be used to target large pike, but I wouldn't want to try and defend myself if a CO feels differently about it.

You want to keep it small for the first part of pike season anyways. Big baits just do not pruduce as well as the small stuff for the early part of pike season. My favorite early pike bait is a #9 Shad rap or small bass sized spinner bait such as a smaller Northland Reef Runner.

Yes, they do have the power to decide. It's kind of a situation by situation deal, depends on them, and what they think of you. Witht hat being said, it's just not worth it. Your wallet doesn't need the hit and it's not really great for the fishery either...

I'd listen to JohnnyP, early season they just aren't looking for the big stuff like they are towards fall. Usually the water is pretty clear so I throw some brighter colored baits, usually nothing larger than a 1/2 ounce.

if you are fishing for northerns it is legal to fish for northerns. if you say you are fishing for northerns you are fishing for northerns. but if you say you are fishing for northerns but hoping for a muskie out of season that is a violation. on the flip side. i make lures. i like to test these lures at a lake near my house. while testing them one day a game warden walked onto the dock and asked what i was fishing for. i told him i was'nt fishing just testing lures i made. he said so your not fishing. i said no just testing. he said they got a tip someone was casting large baits and i was makeing sure you were not trying to catch a muskie or something else out of season then he said have a nice day and he walked away without even asking for a license. was the middle of April, these baits were 8 inches long made out of cedar, and a few bucktails and spinnerbaits and a couple topwaters. your fishing for what your fishing for, if it's reasonably possible to get the claimed target fish with the lure you use. i asked another CO about this and he said he would have givin me a ticket if it was obvious i did'nt make those lures. but he would have done the same as the other in this case. funny part was the CO at the lake was the same guy driving a boat on the croix. him and his partner were checking me over for license, livewell and that, i'm showing them some pics of recent catches and their boat goes into gear all by itself and rams my boat, breaks the blade on my electric. was a bummer then but funny now. mabe thats why he almost ran from me at the lake, huh?

From my personal experience, I've caught and seen more muskies and pikes caught while Bass fishing with small baits than when I actually have been throwing the big stuff. Dont get me wrong, I've caught both pike and musky on big lures as well, but I dont know why but Pike's and Skies love the little stuff too. Gotta love when Bass fishing all day on a lake with a good population of Pike's and Muskies and you have the Musky fisherman asking what you're using and you lift your rod up and show them a 5" plastic lol!

if you want to go after pike with big lures before musky opens. REAL SIMPLE FISH A LAKE THAT DOESN'T HAVE MUSKY IN IT!! there are plenty of lakes to choose from wherever you live in the state.

I think its fine. Don't let anyone tell you which baits or tactics to use to catch pike during their open season and don't be intimidated out of fishing where you want to fish. If you are being honest with yourself (i.e. not fishing in a lake with a [PoorWordUsage] population of stunted pike but with a nice population of muskies)the heck with the people who question your motives. That being said it is part of being honest with yourself to use lures you honestly believe are most effectively targeting the pike in the lake.

This is my first venture onto this web site and it seems very informative. I am going to start fishing for Muskie this year. I have never fished for them. Can i have some opinions on line type and strength, rod selection, and pole selection, and baits. It was recommended that I try a bait called a mud puppy. Any help will be appreciated.

WVFRED

Search back in the forum, you will find many threads discussing such things.

For your first rod, something in the 7'6" to 8' range, Medium-Heavy. Cortland Masterbraid, Stealth Ultracast, Stren Superbraid or PowerPro in 80lb for line. Your baits there will be somewhat different than what are popular in Minnesota. You will want some bucktails for sure, after that, I'd try to find some local fishing forums for WV for suggestions.

Start slow and cheap with the baits. You could do alot worse than just getting 1 top-raider, 1 giant jackpot, 1 M&G spinnerbait and 1 9inch Jake. Fish for a coupla months or a year with those until you start to put the pieces together otherwise you WILL spend many hundreds of dollars on wasted baits. Good luck and enjoy.