• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a water jug as a minnow bucket?

Pharcta2

Just looking for some pros/cons here... I'm trying to get more mobile in my ice fishing. I use a snowmobile (trying to get the scratch for an ATV...but that's another topic wink.gif )
Anyway - I find that my minnow bucket tips over quite often. So I'm thinking about using a 1 gallon water jug cooler (the kind with the spigot on the bottom and the top that screws on) this year. I think it will work, but looking for input from others. Has anyone seen/heard/or done this?

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by Pharcta2 (edited 11-17-2003).]

The problem I see is the water splashes around while pulling behind your sled, freezes the lid so you can't unscrew it when you get to your spot.

I use a small plastic cooler with a handle that locks the lid in place. It will spill a little water if left tipped on its side but for a short time it can handle it. Even this style can be difficult when the lid freezes on. A screw on would be much worse.

ccarlson

I bought an insulated one with the foam liner a few years ago and it's worked the best for me. Cost around 14 bucks.

It prevents the bait from freezing while on the ice and especially while moving around on the ice. If there is too much water in it when want to move it has a slotted lid that I can pour water out of too.

I'd think a thin jug would freeze-up pretty fast if not inside a heated house or portable.

------------------
Chells

This may sound a little strange, but for areas that I have a Good walk to get to I use a Plastic File Cabinet,with a snap lock top lid - it fits just right in my pack basket and I'm sure you could adapt it to a place on the snow machine .

------------------

This is off subject but, I was BSing with someone about ice fishing. We talked about methods of attracting fish to your holes. An idea came up, could a large clear jar containing minnows be lowered down next to your fishing hole to attract fish? Is this legal? Would it work? Like I said, it was just an idea, not a very serious one at that....But it might work.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I also use a small cooler with the spicket on the side. If it does freeze I just rap the top with my scoop and it opens right up. Never tips and spills and keeps water cool wich is what ya want. I also change water often especially when using shiners.
If Im out for a few days on a trip I have a 5 gal. bait bucket that is lined. It has a snap on top and that never leaks either.

I fill a couple of plastic 1 gallon milk jugs full of water. I usally take one along and pour a little water on the ice to shoot through with my transducer. I realize they will freeze if left unatended for long but hey they don't cost much and its easy to find another one.

What I use when running and gunning is a 20oz plastic coke bottle. I attached a lanyard to it which I hang around my neck. I can tuck this inside my coat to keep it warm and out of the way. Works good for wading in the open water season too. As for when I'm in the fish shack I drill an extra hole and put my minnows in an onion sack with a cord attached and drop that down the hole. Keeps the minnows lively, don't know about attracting fish though, maybe. As for transporting them I use a Playmate cooler, the kind with the lid that flips shut.
Lucky

I used to use an old Paint ball bucket they work great! And the lid can't come off. When I got home I have an air pump for an aquarium drop in hose, plug it in and I can keep minnows for a weeks. I still use it at home but use a smaller traveling container.

------------------