• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St.Paul show vs. Cabela's sale

willowcat

Last year I went to the St.Paul Ice fishing show As I have in years past. But the deals were not there like in past years. I talked to a guy at the Ice Team setup,He said that most of the retailers weren,t going to lower there prices because they added another show over in Wisconsin after the St.Paul show. Now at the same time as the Ice show, Cabela's were haveing their big Ice fishing sale. I know a couple of guys that went there. They said that there were a lot of good deals. So this year if they're going on at the same time again and you can only go to one, what one is the best?

My birthday is on one of the Ice Show/Cabela's days every year so in recognition of me, my girlfriend, now fiance(for obvious reasons) comes with me to both and I can pick out a few gifts. Every year I go to Cabela's first and then the ice show. I have found that Cabela's has the best deals, but the ice fishing show has tons of new products to look at. If doing one, I would choose the ice show. Once a year to look at all the stuff I do all the reading about and pick up hard to find products. Prices are not that great though.

im looking at buying a new frabil xltwin and im hoping i can get a little better deal at the show or cabela's ...where do you guys think that i can get the best deal at? im a poor college kid so any help would be appreciated

Bruce's product is the Ice Buster Bobber. And are made by Bruce's company Today's Tackle.
They are one if the sponsors for this seasons I.C.E. Series.

If you have not tried them you might want to take a look on Bruce's site sometime soon... www.icebusterbobbers.com

Most all "local" bait shops carry these as well as they are an FM sponsor product and available here.

I consider the Ice Buster a classic ice bobber. They are unique, druable, and adjustable / trimable so you can "set" them to any hook weight. They will last years!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Willowcat:

Back to your original question. There are deals to be made at shows, but the very best deals are those at the end of the ice season, when outlets that sell all the major brands don't want to be "stuck" with last year's version in March, and will sometimes practically "give" them away, because they're worried about getting "stuck" with "old" models. Frankly, getting a year-old model at drastically reduced prices is better than paying a premium price for what they say are improvements.

I'd name names for those outlets, but you likely can figure them out, and forum rules prohibit such mentions unless the outlets are forum sponsors.

My two-man unit listed for over $300, but I got it for $130 after it was rented for one season by a N.D. guiding outlet. Needless to say, I spent one hour stitching it up and felt vastly lucky for the deal. It even came with the travel cover. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Cubbies11,
Cabela's is located down south in Owatonna, MN. It is about 45 minutes south of Burnsville on I-35. Definetly worth the trip to go look at the store. The taxidermy and all of the products are amazing. Huge store that is geared at the outdoorsman and woman. Also great customer service if anything should go wrong. Just last night I got two personalized collars in the mail for my new little lab and they had the name of the town I live in mispelled. A five minute phone call had two replacement collars on the way and I don't even have to send the mistakes back. Very nice people on the phone and they are just as nice at the store.

If you are planning on buying a big ticket item, I'd suggest going to the ice show on the last day. Compare all the prices and barter the dealers against each other. I've found the Reed's guys and the Thorne guys are really willing to wheel and deal or throw in some extras on that last day.

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

[This message has been edited by Poutmaster (edited 11-18-2003).]

With out the show in Mad town after the St.Paul show it should be like the shows in past years. The good deals should be there then. I know one should almost hit Cabela's to if they are having their sale the same day.