• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aftermarket Seats, or ways to keep your "seat" comfy

BoxMN

Another post got me thinking a Seat thread would be good.

I have '95 Magna, and the stock seat was a PITA, literally. I got a Mustang Seat and it really is tons better, and looks tons better too. It is 2-up and the chick-pad is wider and more cush, and my wife likes it a lot better than the stock.

Even with the good seat, if I was going for loooooong trip, I think I would also use sheepskin after hearing good things about those covers.

Anybody have good/bad expereinces with aftermarket seats?

A couple years back at Sturgis there was a guy who put gel inserts into any seat. My father did this to his goldwing seat and he said it made a comfy seat even better, I just wish I would have had mine done. At the time I didn't think it was worth it.

I know Corbin makes a great seat that has been around for quite some time. They make a variety of different styles that offer different benefits.

My mom has been riding for about 20 years and she personally swears by the bead seat covers. They are like 1/2 inch wooden beads that are threaded onto a pad that attatches to your seat. They seem a little uncomfortable while first sitting on them, however they let a little air flow that after a long days ride leaves your rear a little less hurtin. She currently rides a 2007 Honda ST1300 and one of the first accessories she purchased was a new bead seat. I don't have one, but she absolutely swears by the thing.

CA

I've been using a Sheepskin seat cover for the last three years and really like it. Breathes so you don't stick to the seat like without it. Cool in the heat and warm in the cold. Just adds some comfort on the longer rides.

I ride on a Diamond custom seat. We have ridden up to 750 miles a day with no "monkey butt". Some custom seats are great, others are not. Best to ask around and try one if you can. They can be a big investment and what works for one may not work for someone else. A couple of the manufacturers will take it back and modify it so you will like it. Like anything you have to shop around.

I second the sheepskin, if you already have a somewhat comfortable seat. I just got back from Sturgis, rode out there, bought a sheepskin cover while there and rode back. on the way out after about 60 miles i started looking for stoplights to stand up and stretch my legs a little then rode on until I needed to fill up with gas.

With the sheepskin I rode easily for a whole tank of gas without the urge to stop.

AK leather now has sheepskin with gel pad. Ordered a couple of them. Mama loves the one that she got I am looking to sell the one that I got. They are great and great quality as well but the give on the gel pad is no good for me. My butt slides back and forth about 12 inches because of the "play" in the gel pad. OK well maybe it's really only an inch or so but I am very uncomfortable with that feeling. First time my butt started sliding back when I took off I tensed up everything and hurt my lower back. Took the gel pad out and just sat on the sheep skin and I LIKE THAT! Gonna have to order a plain sheep skin. Have sent them an email to see if I can send the seat back and swap for a plain sheep skin. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo