• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New "used" sled ?

HNTNBUX

I have been out of snowmobiling since 1995. I have always had a polaris snowmobile and I am debating between getting something like a polaris XC 600-700 or Ski Doo MXZ 600-700. I will be looking around May when the tax rebate checks come and adding some to it or in the fall. Are there any issues with these particular sleds other than brand X is the best? Am I better off waiting until fall or early winter? Thanks.

HTNBUX- THis is a great time to buy a sled, I always buy a new sled that is a year old, great deals! I have a polaris edge X and my wife drives MXZ, they are both excellent sleds and we have never had any trouble with them. I think you would be happy with either sled. One thing you might want to consider is what dealer is closest to your house in case you ever need some repair or parts. Also, the suspension is something to look at since is has changed a ton since 1995, the suspension on my polaris is better than the ski-doo.

But they are both great brands and they are the only two brands that I would buy. My next sled will be another polaris, but skidoo's are great too. Good luck!

What kind of price are you looking to spend? A lot of speculation can be made here on what to buy.....without knowing your price range your going to get a ton of opinions on a possibly a bunch of different years.

Now and for the next 4-5 months is a great time to buy. With that being said, you can still find sweet deals in December if you are willing to wait for the right one. I got a heck of a deal on a used 2006 Skidoo Renegade 3 months ago. I saw a few other sweet deals also.....but you have to be watching all the time as they go quick once they are posted and you have to be ready to go and buy right away.

My opinion is that you can't find a better riding sled than the 2003(and newer) Skidoo Rev chassis. Some don't like the seating position and say it cramps their knees, but I can tell you I am 6'4" and I love the rider forward design. I rode my father in laws 2007 Arctic Cat Crossfire and was not impressed with the seating position. My hips actually got sore on that from the seating position....it's more of the traditional seating IMO.

There were overheating issues with the 2001-02 XC 600's. If you find one make sure it has the updates which include a grey coolant overflow bottle, extra heat exchanger under the seat, throttle position sensor (TPS) reset, and a longer snow flap.

Thanks for the replys. I would love to buy one now but I just got a new Polaris Sportsman 800 HO and my wife a ten year anniversary ring. I have to let that wear off a little before I suprise my wife with a snowmobile in the garage. She is very understanding but I don't like to push too hard at any one time. I will be sure to check for the updates on the Polaris. Thank you.

If you go with the Polaris I would get a 600 and shy away from the 700 and 800 motors. They break belts much more often (my 600 has never broken a belt), and from what I've seen on the trails they seem to be less reliable the 600s.

I've got a 04 700 polaris that I have driven hard for 3500 miles, never had a problem with the belt or clutch. It's been the best sled I have ever owned, I would buy this motor in a heart beat! My buddy has an 800 switchback, never has had a problem!

I would not be worried with the price increase for next fall. With the economy the way it is, there should be some darn good deals from now until the end of the year.

I hate to talk doom and gloom but, we are in a recession and there will be slow sales and great deals for the rest of the year.

I finally paid off my boat last week and mentioned getting the sled to my wife. So Friday morning she called me from work and said she was coming home early and we should go look at sleds. I didn't need anymore than that and came home with a 2004 Pro X 600. Buying in the summer is a little scary but it is a beautiful sled. Now I just have to wait to ride and figure out where to put it.

I finally paid off my boat last week and mentioned getting the sled to my wife. So Friday morning she called me from work and said she was coming home early and we should go look at sleds. I didn't need anymore than that and came home with a 2004 Pro X 600.

KEY WORDS HERE ARE "she called me from work and said she was coming home early and we should go look at sleds"

You are one lucky man HNTNBUX, I am jealous beyond belief! Now That's a Keeper!!!

If you go with the Polaris I would get a 600 and shy away from the 700 and 800 motors. They break belts much more often (my 600 has never broken a belt), and from what I've seen on the trails they seem to be less reliable the 600s.

I have a 01' 800 xc, 144 studs.

Never broke a belt and is very reliable.

Nice sled, but get electric start.

Hard to pull over when cold.

Somewhat heavy.

Stick to 600 if your a lil guy or get stuck alot.