• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do the crappies like this time of year?

Icefisher23

I haven't, but if you post this in the Regional forums you may get a better response in the Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids regional forum. Good luck.

We are heading toward that time of year when jig/lure selection isn't as critical as the mid winter period(at least in my opinion). I like Little Atom Optic Stealths, Marmooskas, genz bugs, forage minnows, ratsos, etc. I like to fish with plastics this time of year as you don't waste time rebaiting. There are lots of great anglers on this site and I am sure you will get some really good info.

fiskas, custom jigs and spins fill most of the space in my box right now for jigs. Add in the nuggies from Little Atom for plastics along with the custom jigs and spins tails for ratso's and shrimpo's. color variety has really depended on water clarity.

Lakes will differ, but I was amazed how few fish bit the minnow on the lake I fished. I usually went out with a buddy that had no flasher and therefore used minnows since he pretty much deadsticks it the whole time. By the end of most nights, it was about 10 to 1 my ratso to his minnow. Many factors could play here but even when I have tried the minnows there havent been too many takers. If anything, minnows worked better during the day and in deeper water, shallow and at night ratso with glow head ruled. I would be prepared to try both presentations.

Good luck, lets get some slabs and bulls before it melts!

I have had sucess with both minnows and euros. Some lakes around the metro have been hammering the minnows but not until late in the day. For constant action, euros have been working bet for me.

I have yet to use anything but minnows, heads/tails or whole and plastics. Nuggies, Wedgies, Little Atoms, various others seem to work as well.

Lures don't seem to matter much either outside of blue and purple being a constant winner. Red hooks, single or treble have been sure bets. Sizes really have not played out any differences either for me.

Crappies have been a daily bite all season and unlike any other I've experienced. Today was another 60+ day for me and the kid to find (20) keepers. Size has been the only issue or challenge.

DO BIG CRAPPIES (11+) run with the schooled smaller ones ?

Very rare to come across any large ones other then suspended above the smaller ones and very periodic. Like only (4) all week so far over 11" which the first ten days of Jan I was getting 3 or four a day 12" - 16" @ 26' - 28'.

Well I went out again last night and no longer did the ratso work, didnt have any minnows but would have been nice to try. Managed 1 crappie out of many that swam by. Same spot I was nailing them most the winter, something has changed for sure. I am worried about the oxygen level. Before last night it had been a week since I have been out there last.

i have been catching the most fish on a little frosty jig with the smallest crappie minnow you can find in your bait bucket, and dont jig it just let it sit there until they hit it. when ever i jig it i wont get a bite but when i let it sit there thats when i catch the fish. i have also been having good luck with a genz worm or a genz bug tipped with 1 or 2 red larvas, but jig the larvas just not the minnows. i would say the smaller the better.

good luck!