• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning question

I have a question I figured I would post regarding some of my rods. First and most importantly...I had them in my boat this fall in the rod locker and noticed that the epoxy? over the labeling and around the eyelets has become very milky in color like it has oxidized or something. Anyway to fix this??? Lastley is there any was to clean the cork handles? THanks

As for cleaning the cork. Most times a soap solution and a soft brush works. I've never tried any stronger solutions other than dilouted simple green. I've buffed them with 0000 steel wool or an auto scotch bright pad rather than sanding. Anyone else?

The epxoy in my experience, is not likely something you can repair, but I've heard of guys trying a buffing. I'll see if I can find where I heard or saw that and if so , I'll pass it on.

I haven't ever tried to repair epoxy, but for the cork I use MR. Clean Magic Erasers. Those things are amazing how well they work. Make handles look brand new with very minimal work. Just dampen the pad, rub the cork, and looks like brand new. It is awesome, I would recommend them to anyone.

I use diluted Simple Green on my reels to clean them up and it works great for that, but all you should need for the cork is a little water and a Magic Eraser.

The epoxy looks like moisture has softened it up. I would take the rods bring them inside and see if the cloudiness clears up after a week. As for cleaning cork, any of the aforementioned tricks work. After cleaning you can always get a fresh surface by lightly sanding it. After that you might consider applying a coat of Guidbrod Cork Seal over it.

I was hoping that it was something like that with the epoxy, but I have had them inside all winter and they still look cloudy. I thought maybe taking a lighter to them, but maybe that would be a bad idea. Afterall it is just cosmetic.

If you take a lighter to the epoxy you will soften it and probably make a mess of it. You could try a hair dryer, used sparingly, you could still soften the epoxy if you get it too hot. Too much of any heat will start to soften it.

Usually cloudy mean moisture under the epoxy into the wraps.

I'm in agreement with Up North. The guys I referred to had a bit of a different situation and even then it was a gamble. You could try the hair dryer. Just be careful. Sounds to me like the epoxy didn't cover or penetrate totally and you got moisture underneath it and in the thread. Getting moisture OUT of epoxy isn't something I know or have heard about. The mix is pretty special to begin with to prevent yellowing, clouding, etc. If it's bad and bothers you, give it a shot. You could always remove the epoxy and reapply it yourself.

Yep, do not use a lighter. You will just make things worse. Sounds to me like the application of the epoxy was poorly done(i.e. moisture or even poor mixing). Like Fullmoon said, you could take the epoxy and even the wraps off and redo it.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but call Lonnie @ Thorne Bros. He can help on this one.

I have had this happen with two of my rods when they sit out in a damp place (rod lockers) and then it either rains or gets cool over night. They always clear up when they are in the sun the next day. They are not tacky when they turn that color.

Don't know what else to say on this one. confused.gif

Wow I have not seen anything like that. From the looks of your pics it looks like the epoxy is pretty bad. Looks like a redo to me. But there maybe someone that has found a fix. Calling Thorne Bros or Midwest Rod and Reel may come up with a solution. Good luck.

Are all the rods same manufacture? About how old are they?

Looks like they mite have used varnish instead of rod finish, mite try lightly sanding with a 3m extra fine scotch pad (gray)

then clean up with denatured alcohol, then recoat with a good quality rod finish. (Try one area first and see how it turns out)

If possible have rod turning while sanding and applying finish.

Hope this helps.