• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger weights?

Cpt. Fish

I am in the market for my first power auger. I am looking at the Jiffy model 78, and the Strike Master lazer Mag. Does anyone know how much a Jiffy model 78 weighs compared to a Strike Master Lazer Mag?

Right now I am leaning a little more towards the Jiffy because I am a little strapped for cash right now.

CPT Fish,
If you are strapped for cash, you might want to look into buying a reconditioned auger. I believe Matchman purchased a reconditioned strikemaster at D-Rock for a great price. They are great people there and are always willing to help. Give them a call.

Oh by the way, I can't recall the actual weight difference between the two but I am almost certain the strikemaster is lighter. I used a Jiffy legend for 2 years and I wasn't too happy with it. It would throw ice chips everywhere and it would also get bogged down at the last 2 inches. So, I got rid of the Jiffy and bought a strikemaster lazer mag and I have not been happier.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Well I am a Jiffy guy so I am going to back them and say that is what you should get. I had a Model 30 that was over 20 years old and it was finally starting to show that it was getting tired. So I got a new Model 34 Stealth they are a sweet machine and I am looking forward to boring ice. Now if you plan to use the auger inside a house a strikemater might be better because they don't spin so fast so they don't through ice as much. I myself use my Jiffy in the house and it make a little of a mess but I can clean it up very easily. I know if you get a Jiffy you will be satified.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Cpt. Fish....

What Model are you looking at in Jiffy? I was looking at Jiffy's web site and I only see Model #76 #77 #79 for a two horse auger.

Jiffy is a little heavier but the gear box and blades will last much longer than a SM.

My personal recommendation would be the Jiffy Stealth with D-Ice'r Armor Drill Assembly with the Ripper Blades.
2002-legend-lightning.JPG
If you need ease of use and low maintenance it is very hard to beat.

If you open old ice holes the stealth is the best there is at it. The new blade configuration stays centered and chews smoothly all the way through.

The Jiffy D-Ice'r ARMOR on the drill head prevents power-robbing ice build-up.
stealthpoint_sm.jpg

6" Jiffy Stealth with D-Ice'r Armor Drill Assembly with Ripper Blade
2 HP 49cc Tecumseh Engine
Weight 33lbs - Model 79-06-DR

For a few bucks more you may wish to opt for the handy-dandy IceHouse handles.
icehouse_sm.jpg
They are designed to allow closer drilling in confined spaces. The IceHouse handle also makes for easy storage and transportation.

The 6" starts out around $370 +/- and works up depending on what size auger you wish. The 9" is as big as you would ever wish to go with the Model 79.

The 8" is the overall best option in my opinion, especially if you plan to open used holes on a regular basis.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>