• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6" Power Auger question

poorbiker

If your not a tip up guy going after big northerns and jig for smaller fare like panfish and the occasional walleye a 6 shooter is the ticket. I have a Strikemaster lazer 6" power and I use a 5" hand lazer for early ice and the 5" I use probably 90% of the ice fishing season. Beware I have had big crappies get stuck sideways in a 5" hole when I'm fortunate to get the occasional hog.

Well Biker you could maybe buy that 6 incher if its a good runner thats a great price. Then you could look around and find yourself another bit in a larger size.

I think the main reason a big hole is best is it is alot easier to get the fish turned and up into the bigger holes when you're bringing it in. Big holes are nicer for hanging your transducer in as well.

Depends what one considers big, but I've caught fish that would never make it up a 6 inch hole.

fiskyknut

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 11-14-2003).]

As others said, big fish will fit through a smaller hole. Just getting them started up the hole is the hard part. I use an 8" auger. Two years ago I had a 44" northern hooked in the back/side of the mouth. The fish was completely fought out finning below my hole. Problem was the tip of the fish's mouth extended beyond the hole. It was like trying to walk through a door holding a broomstick sideways. I took some fireline, tied on a hook, dropped down the hole, and hooked him in the tip of the mouth. Cut the heck out of my hands on the initial hookset, but managed to get him in. I would've liked to mount it, being the largest northern I ever caught and useing 4# line, however the season closed the day before. The critical part in landing fish is getting them to start up the hole, the smaller the hole, the tougher it is. Does anyone use those augers that bevel out the bottom of the hole? I wonder how those would work, or if it's worth looking into?

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-14-2003).]

My buddy had one that beveled the hole and it turned out to be just another thing that caused headaches on the ice...

I use an 8" manual for early ice and a 10" for anything thicker than 8"...

------------------
Chells

Can it be luck, Do you think that Pike would come up a 6 inch hole though? I get 40 inch plus Pike on the ice pretty regular up here thru the late ice and I would hate to not have my 'big ten inch'.

You guys can bevel out the hole with a spudbar.

Fisky

[This message has been edited by fiskyknut (edited 11-14-2003).]

Fisky, I don't think that fish would've made it through a 6" hole. The 8" hole was pretty tight the way it was. 8" minimum for me on my holes, I'd sure hate to have a whopper on and not have it fit through the hole. You just never know when that may happen.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I know what you mean. Come up to LOTW and fish with me during that late ice Pike bite and you will surely want a 10 inch hole, because you just never know what may happen!

Better to have and not need than need and not have!

fiskyknut

Right on Fisky 10" all the way. Once you start with 10" you'll wonder why you waited and the next time you'll fish an 8" you'll wounder why anyone wants to fish something so small. I have never fished a 6" like you guys are talking about but that has to be tiny when you drop a vex iceducer in the hole that leaves you with about 4 inchs left over.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I pulled a musky around 34" long through a 6" hole two years ago, but only because two other guys helped line everything up. He was tired after a 20 minute struggle on 4 lb. line and it took three tries to straighten him up. 10" seems the way to go for pike.

Kevin

Buy it and then buy a 9" auger for it. 6" holes dont give ya much room especially if you use a Vex in the hole. 8 or 9" would be best. 6" is ok for panfish but thats about it in my opinion. Even Red Lake Crappies are too big for a 6".