• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater Camera Ice fishing Model

SCCO9803

I'm contemplating the purchase of the aqua-view ice fishing model. Does anyone have any opinions, and are there other brands of ice fishing cameras that are reasonably priced. I was also wondering how the Ice fishing model works in low light depths and at night.
Thanks

The undrewater camera you are talking about is the Ice Pro by Aqua Vu. I've looked at them and they seem pretty decent. As far as visibility at night is concerned I don't know. I haven't had a chance to see one in action yet.

MarCum also has a few underwater cameras.
I've used the OVS500 and the OVS400 and they are both great cameras. Great visibility. Check out the MarCum site, there are a few cameras to choose from:

MarCum Underwater Cameras

Or else feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 11-13-2003).]

Any chance of Marcum unveiling a model at the price level of the Aqua -Vu ice model?I would have to say that is my main consideration in this situation.Haven't used either yet but is definetely something I'm interested in

Yeah, the Aqua Vu is significantly cheaper than the Marcum. Can there really be that much of a difference in picture quality, and features to justify the price difference. All I want it for is to examine the structure under which I fish, and see what kind of fish are down there. I'm not conducting research for my biology disertation, just want to catch fish.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There are a lot of cheap units out there. So don't let price alone be your guiding factor. So whether it's aqua view, vista-cam or a build your own for even less, they are priced less because the over-all quality is less.

If you don't mind the extra work getting your camera pointed the direction you want, visibilty issues, and possibly durability issues while your out there, then go for it.

There is a difference in what you can view, how far you can view and ease of viewing and it all depends on the quality of the unit you're using. They recognize that and that's why they offer quality units as well as the cheaper model.

As for a biology disertation, heck the cheaper aqua view will do fine for that. You'll just have to do a bit more work with it.

Sounds like you had your mind made up already anyway so go ahead and get one. aqua view is a very good company, you could do far worse than that.

Visibility depends on a few things. Water clarity of coarse.
Suspended particles and plankton cut down on visibility bad enough and lights help some but think of headlights in a snow storm. On stained lakes it doesn't take much depth to loose any benefits from sunlight so you'll be relying on the cameras lights. In total dark with moderate stain and particles I'd say 6' visibility?
I've got a camera and it takes some time to setup and twist the cable to find your jig so it doesn't get used as much as I'd like.
MarCum's new VS560 will have blue lights for improved lighting in water with suspended particles along with the IR lights. Another change is the rotating camera. No more twisting cables.

Paul I was typing as you posted. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 11-13-2003).]

I had an Aqua-vu this last year and the monitor went bad on it. I heard it was a "one-time" problem they had with a lot number of the units. The reason I returned it and didn't pick up another one was the problems the dealer I bought it from had with dealing with the company itself. Very hard to work with and wasn't willing to work with the customer. I lucked out and my unit went bad within a week so there were no questions asked on the return. Others I have talked to weren't so lucky. Then again, I know some fishermen who love their units. I just decided to wait and check out other brands and I am currently leaning towards the Mar-Cum.

[This message has been edited by fireman182 (edited 11-14-2003).]

Fireman,

What sort of problems did the dealer have? Aqua-Vu has always been very good about taking care of the customer and generally are quite good about the dealers. But of course there are times when you can NEVER satisfy someone and those times you just roll with the punches.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Hey guys I have an OVS 300. When I fish a pretty clear lake like Mille Lacs, when it just starts getting dark my camera is so hard to see fish with (mostly you can only see there eyes). I was wondering if this is how all cameras are? Or is it becuase mine is a little older of a model? I would really like to have a camera that worked decently at night.

Captain, I had the OVS 500. I like it and I would recomend an underwater camera if it is affordable. Not just for the purpose that it helps you catch fish, but it is a great learning tool. You will learn more then you ever have with an underwater camera. Bottom structure, type of fish, fish reactions, jig action, what fish want, why fish are there, the list goes on and on. And plus, underwater cameras are a lot of fun!

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Vista Cam, bought one for $500 about 8 years ago. Used it maybe 6 times. I couldn't see a thing unless the conditions were near perfect. The best application it had was ice fishing Red, minus the twisting cable syndrome. I never caught weeds while on Red, but with the camera I was able to see some real long skinny ones down there. The camera crapped out 3 years ago, now my tv portion of it doesn't work. I would've been better off tapeing 2 lengths of 2" PVC pipe together forming a set of underwater binoculars, vs. the Vista Cam. I want, and will purchase another camera, it just wont be a Vista Cam.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck