• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NILS extension pics.

aczr2k

In case you haven't seen a Nils extension, here is a picture of the one I just recieved. I had an normal extension (shop made) on the Nils but ordered one of these, at $40 I didn't think the price was out of line. Ordered from Nils on Monday and it came on Thursday. For everyone that says you don't need an extension on a Nils, I'd invite you to come and drill holes for me on LOW, you won't get through. ;\)

DSC00542.jpg

Cool to see a pic. Does anyone know if you can get an attachment to hook up to the motor for drilling post holes in the summer? I have plans for a fence and don't want to rent an auger. Though that might be better than damaging the nils. I thought from reading the manual that the motor can and does run an earth digging auger.

Originally Posted By: fishinJohn
Cool to see a pic. Does anyone know if you can get an attachment to hook up to the motor for drilling post holes in the summer? I have plans for a fence and don't want to rent an auger. Though that might be better than damaging the nils. I thought from reading the manual that the motor can and does run an earth digging auger.

I'm pretty sure the motor was designed as an Earth auger motor, so my guess is that you should be able to locate one......somewhere.

The Tanaka (TED-262dh) powerhead used on the Nils is intended as a SMALL BORE earth auger for drilling a small hole (less than three inches dia) in the earth to a depth of about one foot or less. This unit is used by landscapers for planting large quantities of plant/shrub bulbs. My guess is the engine/clutch is NOT intended to drill 8+ inch holes in the earth. I would not recommend it. (do a search for the using TED-262dh and you'll see what i'm talking about)

On a related note, I rented a true earth auger (two man) last season for digging/drilling post holes. It was far far far superior to using the old 'knuckle buster' manual post-hole digger. In dense clay soil, me and a buddy drilled 18 8" holes to a depth of 3.5 feet in about 30 minutes. The 1/2 day rental was under $100.

@aczr2k: Thanks for the pic man. What length is that? With the extension in place, do you need to use a small step-ladder to reach the handles/throttle? ;\)

yeah, I think it would probably be a better idea to just rent the right tool and abuse that ;\)

On a side note, if you have really sandy soil, don't bother with an auger. I tried that for my deck footings. Got the hole bored, pulled the auger out and everything collapsed right back in. Had to do it all by hand.

azc how much ice you guys got? Do you have the long or short shaft Nils? I have never needed a extension on my Nils on LOW, Red, Rainy or even up in Canada. Ya I might have to kick some snow away but always got through.

Im not saying you dont need one Im just wondering how much ice you got and where on LOW are you.

aczr2k,

Thanks for the Great info! I have barely made it through in a few spots up by Knight/Bridges area and was going to have an extension made but now I will just order one. I have the long shaft Nils, don't remember the length, but I do know there is no way I could have drilled holes inside my fish house without an extension because I was right down to the powerhead outside the house.

On a side note, that is the best purchase I have made buying that Nils and have impressed alot of people when I lay it on the ice to warm up. Then when they see I dont goof around with the choke/primer etc and then they watch me drill...The look on their faces sometimes is priceless!

Thanks again for the extension info.

Jason

http://www.hardwateradventures.com

[email protected]

Where did you see those extensions for sale online? I've got the 42" as well and it looks like I might need an extension occasionally for LOW this time of year.

Nobody stocks them online, you have to call Nilsmaster. I emailed the Outdoor Pro Store and they referred me there. Even with 48" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten through, If I had I might have had a water injection, LOL.