• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Vehicle Tire Recommendations

NCLaker

Question

I can't afford to buy a truck to get my shack around (Otter Lodge) so I use our Honda Odyssey minnivan. The shack fits great in the back. Only problem is that the tires on it stink for traction and need to be replaced.

So I am looking to put new ones on and need some help with recommendations. I need all seasons with good winter snow traction, but are still smooth & quite for summer use. Does anyone have any tire recommendations based on personal experience?? Place to get the best price on your recommendation would also be appreciated.

I've used sites like Tire Rack for feedback, but opinions tend to be all over the map.

Judging by all the other minivans I see on the lakes, I'm guessing that there are many others that are interested in the recommendations or have their own opinions to share. If you have tires that we should stay away from, please feel free o comment on those as well.

Thanks for your help!!

11 answers to this question

For all out snow and ice traction hands down blizzaks have been tops for me. Thew draw back is they are strictly winter tires and most would be lucky to get two seasons out of them. Most of our customers will have them mounted on steel wheels and will typically start putting them on late to mid November and will start taking them off around the end of March.

I have had several sets of Goodyear Regatta 2. Very good in all conditions. I put a set on the mother in laws Pontiac last summer and she likes them as well.

I have had good reviews from our customers who have purchased Goodyear Assurance and Assurance Tripletread tires. I have no personal experience with these.

My wife had Firestone Affinity LH30s on her car and I thought those were great tires in the snow(and all around). Now she has Bridgestone Insignias. They are pretty good but I don't think they perform as well as the Affinity LH30s

Firestone Destination AX,I have a four on my Sport Trac and I get awesome traction on the lake.There is a little less aggressive pattern of this tire,the Destination LE which may be perfect for a mini van. Tires Plus carries both styles [Forest Lk location anyway].

I have some BFG Traction t/a tires on my eclipse and for a performance tire they rock in the snow and ice. I had it out on medicine early ice and it went through the snow great (i did get a couple odd looks, I was pulling the otter sled with a buddy sitting in it behind the car). They ride and handle pretty good in dry and wet weather too. They are directional so you got to make sure you rotate them right (front to back) but for the money are great tires.

I am on my second set of the BFG traction T/A's on a Grand Prix and I really like them. I have used the car for the past 8 years on all my hunting or fishing trips that don't involve towing the boat and have had no problems. Got 65,000 out of the first set.

I will say HANDS DOWN the Nokian WR's! They make an all season tire for driving year round with snow tire like treads. Never having to buy snow tires again or swapping out tires come every winter. I have them on my small van and they are awesome. They are however on the pricier side but worth every penny. The WR's carry the Nokian Hakka Sip Severe Weather Service symbols. Warranty is up to 50K mi.

The downside is they don't make a tire for every vehicle so check with Nokian first. Even if they don't make it if they have a size close enough to your original it should be OK. Speedometer could be off by 1mph-5mph due to this though.

If you want to find out more just google: Nokian WR for their HSOforum.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I am hoping to hold out on tires until early summer. I like the recommendations on the chains ... Sounds like a good reason to stop by Fleet Farm.

As for tires, right now I am kind of leaning towards Bigdogs & Deadeyes recommendations on the BFG Traction TAs. The Nokian WR's look great but are likely too spendy for my wallet.

Keep the recommendations/testimonials coming.