• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Rigging / Modifications

HugoBox

I'm not sure about you guys but I'm always looking for ways to be more effective and/or comfortable on the water. I fish out of an Alumcraft TP 175 and while I really like the boat, I always end up standing up on the bow next to the T/M so I can see follows easier and also I think it gets me closer to the edge of the boat to make figure eights easier. My brother is worried I'm going to end up in the drink so we made a plywood platform that extends the top deck of the bow back a few feet.

If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd do it. We could all probably share good ideas like this.

What things have you guys done?

Other than muskies my wife will fish along with me no matter the weather or conditions. I'm lucky I guess. Shes been known to spend the night on the boat then go to the office then back to the boat after work, know many women like that? And she like watching fishin shows to grin.gif

HugoBox,

Help me picture this, are you standing on the little triangle up front that the TM is mounted on?? I fish a multi-species and main deck is enough for me to see, and I think depth of the figure 8s is often an overlooked factor. I wouldn't want to be too high that I can't bury the rod on an 8, and when she does eat you'll want to keep it from thrashing on the surface.

I once spent a week in Canada sitting on the little front triangle of a 16' aluminum boat but that was becuase my brother casting in the middle of the boat scared me......

Chris

Cjac -

Yep. For whatever reason I'm more comfortable up higher so I added the plywood to make the little triangle bigger so I have more room to stand. It's also nice for sightfishing bass. Good opint on the figure 8 though. That for me is the biggest area that I can get better at. I tend to get lazy and I know it will cost me fish if I don't get better at it - probably has already...

One other little thing I did was to use a sharpie to make a ruler on the outside of the boat at the water line with the numbers upside down so I can see it when hanging over the side of the boat and get a decent measurement on the fish without having to take it out of the water.

I used the same color marker as some of the stripes on the boat so that it doesn't look too messy. I just have a big line where it starts and another at 40" with a line for every inch up to 50". If its that big I'll most likely pull it out of the water for a quick photo and release.

-erik

HugoBox,

Work on the 8 move.....

I had a fish follow this Fall on WBL, where you fish, south tip of Manitau Is. and burned off to the right. So, I did my 8, went deep with the rod coming off the 4th turn off the left side (outside) and had a fish, probably the same one (even though it had peeled off to the right), come in and eat right at my feet. Just hammered it, not a big one, but they are all fun!.....but probably not had I not went deep on the straight-away coming off the turn. Point is, work with the 8s and going deeper on the straights......don't sacrifice you're visual position/comfort for effectiveness.

Chris

Chris -

Generally how long will you keep doing 8's? I'm guessing that the fish's behavior has something to do with it. Also do you do an 8 on every cast even if you don't see fish. Like I said I've been lazy so more times than not Ii probably do a "L" or something like it.

My first night muskie ever came on an 8 next to the boat though - Even compared to several Tarpon I caught in Costa Rica, that boatside hit in the dark was the most exciting bite I've ever had!!

Thanks for the extra info - Erik

Hugo, it depends on what I'm using but with bucktails and cranks I tend to do an 8 on every cast. I didn't used to until I had to kick myself for not doing a very good 8 as I was staring at a huge fish by my feet. Decided to make it habit afterwards.

Ditto on Vahn's comments, I don't do the full 8 enough and it's usually a late or deep folow I didn't see that gives me that kick in the rear of a reminder.

I do the L on all casts, but really should add to it a bit more and make a turn or two, and consistently do so. How long depends on the fish and it's "mood".

Chris

do your 8 everytime. make it a habbit and then its not something you need to remember. i figure 8 everything - walleye gear - bobbers - crappie rig in the ice hole - sometimes when washing the truck/boat i do a 8 with the hose.....

Hugo,

You wouldn't have room in my boat to stand up there because of rigging!

The TM obviously is up there, along with a Vexilar, RAM ball-joint and mount for the GPS, and a remote control for the stereo.

Sorry man, no room for you!

Chris

Safty first...rest is just overkill.

Darn fish don't care.

\:\)

We work out of a 2025 Lund Pro V Mag LE..225 Merc...15 HP kicker...candy X1000...but do most our own fishen out of a 16' Lund SSV with 9.9 Mariner.

Many, mnay big fish in that little red chevette.

\:\)

But fun riggen just the same.

Just razzen ya.

T.

Good point on the safety thing. I had a very close call and almost became a drowned duck hunter a few years back. My brother and dad fished a guy out of 54 degree water a few years back after falling out when boating alone. I now attach the kill switch every time I fire up the outboard. I'm also getting better on the life jacket thing but admittadly have a ways to go - there is no reason not to wear one when under power. Now that I have little kids I think its important for me to set the example for them.

Who are you kidding! You are always up on your perch in front, and stick your [PoorWordUsage]' brother in the cheap seats in the back \:\) Heck, after about a couple hours of that darned muskie stuff, I'm back to my senkos anyway ;\)

Joking aside, that perch Erik is talking about that he made is great, it is big enough to not be unsafe in calm water, a bit too big in fact. Works great in clear water chasing bass in shallows. I don't get into muskies enough to do any 8's, and Erik is always giving me heck about it, ha!

Maybe some day.