• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Ice Predictions

cubbies11

Well since turnover already happened 2 weeks ago or so. I would say we will will have ice by the end of the 3rd week in november. And if we are lucky we will be fishing by the time thanksgiving comes around.

------------------
Fish ON!

Water temps in the 50's still, but going to fall this week.

I say my first ice expedition in Fergus Falls area will be December 3. It has been a record warm fall so far. Wasn't it 92 degrees at my house one week ago today? rolleyes.gif

Last year my first trip was November 22 on a 800 acre lake, 30 feet deep. We also used my Carsten duck boat to get out there and it was no more than 2" of ice. smile.gif

If I remeber correctly, we usally are out somewhere shortly after thanksgiving. the last few years has been bad for ice formation, but I think we are due for and old fashioned winter so I perdict the satuarday after turkey day. at least I've got my fingers crossed.

My money is on Thanksgiving!

Fished this morning and pounded the walleyes. It was 24 degrees and the line guides were freezing solid and the livewell door froze shut. This gave me the fever for FIRST ICE! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I went to go out duck hunting this morning out here in North Dakota but I had no luck since the ponds that I had been hunting were frozen over. So hopefully by thanksgiving we will be able to have enough to get out.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I predict first it will get really..really cold. Then we will see a crust form on the back bays and sloughs.

This will get everyone all fired up and frothing at the mouth. Much happiness and anticipation will rule the day.

smile.gifOH JOY...ICE!

Then the wind will blow and bust up the ice. This will produce great sadness in the ice fishing community.

frown.gifBUMMER..Ice all gone...Boo Hoo!

Then it will get cold again. More Ice...More rejoice....More wind, more sadness.

smile.giffrown.gifsmile.giffrown.gif

Some time around or after turkey Day somebody will be on a protected back bay and the rush will be on.

smile.gif

A couple of people will get wet, frown.gif then the rush will slow a bit. But not for long as the Ice Fever will be too strong by then.

Whenever and wherever.....just be safe folks!

No need to be Dieing to go Ice Fishing Eh.

Be safe!!

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 10-27-2003).]

With this sudden onset of cold weather I fear a big warm up coming yet. That is not good. I am going to guess, December 11th for good fishable ice.

I will be in SD ice fishing in November hopefully. They usually get fishable ice before us.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Last year we were out 1 week before X-mas on Rice Lake North of Duluth on about 4" of ice. This year is seeming a little colder but I figure about the same time is a good bet.
Keep it safe though I know its hard to resist first ice but its not worth dying for

Another prediction? Someone is going to set the crappie record this year held by Tom Christenson in 1940 5 Lb 0 oz.Black Crappie 21" Vermillion River Dakota County I cant predict whom but I sure hope its someone in the family.
keep dry and warm
Tim