• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good report. I usually fish Yellow myself but I stuck near the cabin this past Friday and fished Big Clam Lake. Caught a mixed bag of crappie, perch and bluegill but the ice was real soft and the landing on the west side was deteriorating. Didn't want to push my luck so I just called it a year and cleared trees on the property the rest of the weekend. Good Luck.

Yeah and it looks like we'll be having one last shot of some cooler weather this week but it's too late the damage is done. I saw some skim ice where the shorelines pulled away today but once that sun gets high it'll be gone. Hoping for an ice out around April 5th so I can get up there and put the boat lift in and just have everything ready to rock when I get back from Cave Run.

Good luck.

Quote:
and the new size limit regulations

What's that all about?

I like the three fish limit. It beats the one and two that has been the norm for early in the season.

As I understand it, the DNR is responding to public scrutiny related to lake by lake limits being implemented each spring in response to Native quotas. This creates a uniform 3 walleye limit regardless of yearly native harvest numbers.

As I understand it, the DNR is responding to public scrutiny related to lake by lake limits being implemented each spring in response to Native quotas. This creates a uniform 3 walleye limit regardless of yearly native harvest numbers.

I get that, but it says "new size limits". That's what I'm questioning.

I looked up a couple different articles and they inferred that the size and bag limits would be set and not change annually. So by "new" I think they are saying the size limits will be set (as they are now I assume) and not change.

I saw the following when it was still a proposal. I would guess this is probably what was approved, or something close to it. But I haven't seen official word.

Under the proposal:

Waters that now have a 15-inch minimum length limit would retain the 15-inch minimum, but no walleye could be kept between 20 and 24 inches in length and only one walleye 24 inches or longer could be harvested.

Waters with no minimum length limit would retain the no minimum length limit but allow the harvest of only one walleye 14 inches or longer.

Length or slot limits on waters with other regulations (such as an 18-inch minimum length limit) would be unchanged.

Aaron

Hi All-

I just visited the WI DNR HSOforum for regulations on Yellow for the upcoming Walleye season as the following URL.

http://cida.usgs.gov/wdnr_regs/apex/f?p=wdnr_fishing_regulations:lake_regulations:0::NO:20:P20_WBIC:2675200#R770266518172521259

Is the daily bag limit for Walleye changing this year?

Thanks-

Jeff

Thanks Perch.

So 3 walleye\sauger from 15” but less than 20” may be kept, except one fish may be over 24” from Yellow\Little Yellow?

Has there always been that protect slot of 20 - 24 inches on Yellow\Little Yellow or is this something new this year?

Sorry, we're new to Yellow lake as of last year, which I thought it was a limit of 3 with length 15 inches and over.

The 15" minimum has always been in place, there has never been an over 20" rule.

Limit has been as low as 1 to start the season, going up to two or three sometime after opener.

You may take three from Yellow, AND three from Little Yellow.

FWIW, I don't believe there are any sauger in Yellow, at least I've never seen one.

Thanks Perch.

So 3 walleye\sauger from 15” but less than 20” may be kept, except one fish may be over 24” from Yellow\Little Yellow?

Yes, you are correct. I don't ever recall a slot like this. Its typically anything over 15 inches, but the limit historically goes up or down each year depending on native harvests, etc... Sounds like this limit is here to stay for a while.

I know people will gripe that this is even more confusing, but I love the principle of a slot. Ontario does this, and it always made sense to me up there. This really protects the breeders.

Welcome to the lake, now if we can just work on your screen name...It makes me gag a little.... :-) haha

I've always released anything over 20" anyhow, so not a big deal to me. Maybe now it will be easier to convince all my buddies to do the same. wink

Although really, I rarely catch more than a handful each year that go over 20" anyway.

Crappie fishing was slow but steady. Found fish in shallow water with muck bottom and some visable weeds. Water temp near 50. Minnows were the ticket. They were not interested in the tube jigs I love to fish.

You may take three from Yellow, AND three from Little Yellow.

The Daily Bag limit is 5 fish total, regardless of how many lakes you visit in one day. "The total statewide daily bag limit is five walleye. In the Ceded Territory no more than three walleye may be taken from any individual water, but you can fish other waters to fill your statewide total daily bag limit of 5. "

Just don't want anyone getting busted with 6 eyes in the livewell using the excuse of having fished both lakes that day...

I have only fished yellow a couple times. I didn't know yellow had sauger, still trying to figure out the walleye bite. My friend has cabin down river from little yellow.

We could use some advise on catching couple eyes. Her boat can't under bridge between the lakes, but my smaller boat has, is the area just down stream from the bridge at the lodge a good night spot?

Last summer I got over to yellow 3 times all season. So I will not working over the lake. Your info goes no farther than ME.

If you would rather keep your info on the low call me.

ph: on taxidermyforsportsmen.com

Perch and Don, thanks for the slot clarification and the welcome.

I'll hopefully heading out there tonight at midnight to see if we can't catch a few in that slot!

Perch, sorry to inform, but the name is here to stay! You might want to have that gag reflex looked into : )

Good luck to everyone this weekend, I hope to hear of big fish tails come Monday!