• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to get?

Sandmannd

I was looking at either a sled or a wheeler. After thinking real hard on it I decided I would rather have a wheeler so I could use for hunting and more year round fun. I found a guy that has a few for say. Not sure if they will work for ice fishing and hunting so wanted an opinion. Keep in mind I have a tight budget, but this guy will work out payments for me.

1. An older 1988 2x4 with a 250cc on it for $1200

2. A 10 yr or younger 2x4 with a 350 on it for $2400.

3. A 2002 Grizzley with 1800 miles 4x4. Has a $600 winch on it, has the heavy snow tires on it. It's all sealed and has extra venting on it so it doesn't over heat. Said it sold with all the options he has for $8000, wants $4800.

Now, I lean more towards #3 for what I wants, but #2 is more what I could afford.

Any help would be great.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea SF I thought it was a little high, but I don't know much about them. What do you think would be fair for it?

I checked on the one you emailed me jltimm, it looks like it's abou 150 miles from me so we'll see how it goes. Seems like a nice wheeler for the money though.

An 02 Grizzly is a 600 not a 660 right? There is no way a 600 grizz is worth that! You could get an nice 05 for that! Where do you get a winch for $600? \:o Must be gold plated!!!! \:D

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Yea SF I thought it was a little high, but I don't know much about them. What do you think would be fair for it?

I am not sure about the "value" of a machine but an 02 just seemed really high at that price. I Traded my 2006 Sportsman 500EFI Limited Edition with Hand/Thumb warmers and a 2.5ci warn winch, I checked their HSOforum (jims snowmobile and marine in Holdingford) and they have my old machine with 1425 miles and they are asking $4999. I know they wouldn't have much room to move but they could probably do something ;\) They are only asking $600 over what they gave me on trade in. Here is a picture of it, it wouldn't have all the accesories pictured, just the machine with winch. I had ridden the machine hard at times but it was never abused, washed thouroughly after every ride.

Whatever you decide take your time and test drive the options. A positive thing about purchasing it from a dealer is they will usually check them over and give you some sort of warranty.

Good luck with your search, post some pictures once you get it.

DSCN1232.jpg

DSCN1228.jpg

Sandmannd, I know a guy here where I work that has a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. with a winch and plow and new battery, ready to go for $3100. If your interested let me know and I'll get you his number. This would be a great wheeler for ya, all ready to go with the stuff you need!

I agree, that is an outrageous price on that Grizzly. You could almost buy a brand new one for a little more.

I'm not even going to mention what to get, because there is problems with any of them by just talking with 2-3 people here. LOL

Just keep posting what you are looking at and someone will let you know if it's worth it or not. Rather knowledgeable people here to help you out.

Good Luck! grin.gif

I just have a weird delema. I don't have the money to throw at one right away. That's why I was talking to this dude cause he would do a layaway. I know I really want a wheeler, but I do have a guy that will trade even up for a sled to my latop. Now would this hold me for a year or two and then sell it and be able to buy the wheeler I need? Or would you wait and save and see if you can't get the wheeler. Do wheelers go up in price in the spring, summer and fall?

If buying new you can get a deal on a left over last year model that is brand new still. You can find a few now, but the best time is when the new ones first come out in the fall. That is also when used atv prices seem to be higher because of hunting season.

IMO, if you have a chance to get rid of a snowmobile for a good price, do it! They lose their value much faster, and are harder to sell with the winters we have had. I sold mine and bought another wheeler years ago and never regretted it.

Sand-- sounds like you have quite the dilema going on. I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I would do ( or wouldn't do for that matter) Anyway don't settle for anything less than what you really want. If you want the wheeler I would try to save up and get one that is newer and less apt to give you trouble. I have bought wheelers and sleds before for what I thought was a "good deal" and in the end set myself up for repair after repair which costs money, down time and most of all high blood pressure!! With that said, the guy who wants to trade you a sled for the laptop? All depends on what kind of sled he's offering. What year, make, model, milage, condition etc. My advice would be do what you can to suit your needs and if you think your not going to be happy with what you can afford right now, start saving a little here and there till you can get the machine you really wanted in the first place. You'll be much happier in the end. We've all been in your shoes my friend and I know it sucks to be in a dilema between what you want and what you can afford. ;\)

Nama, you make a very good point. My problem is I always want something now. I think in this case though I will just have to wait, save and get one when I can. I've gone this long without, I don't think another winter will kill me.

jltimm, I have considered that and will look more into it. I have some bills to clean up as well and the boss (wife) doesn't want another payment at this time. But it would be something to look at in the next month or so.

I wouldn't consider a sled at all for your recreational needs. Your limiting yourself and of course sleds loose there value about every minute goes buy. I finally ditched my sleds and bought a used 4 wheeler from a very reliable source....my brother. Other than if you know the owner of a used wheeler seriously consider holding out one more year and save your pennys and buy a new hold over. And don't feel you need one bigger than 500cc. Because even 350-400cc models can do all the same tasks and with smaller monthly payments. I promise you will be happy in the long run if you buy new or almost new.

And any brand of wheeler now days are very reliable so don't get stuck on brands or loyalty to a particular brand.

good luck

mr