• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pushing a plow with a 400cc

Mnfisher

I have gotten some mixed messages from dealers regarding how big of an ATV I would need to push a 60" plow. I have a fairly long driveway. Would a 400 cc be okay or should I go with a 500? Thanks for any help. I sure enjoy this forum!

I used to have a 1998 honda foreman 450 and it had all the power you needed to push snow. I have two chunks of railroad track that are about 18" long that weighed around 200 lbs. and I'd set one in my basket rack and strap the other up front just for weight to get traction.

we have a 400 polaris sportsmen and have no problems...someone has told my dad that most 400 cc wheelers are underrated because they are really 440..im not sure but ive heard that from a couple of people

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I won't hesitate to go with a 400cc to use for plowing if that's what I finally decide what to go with. It sure is hard to make a good decision with all the options!!

The newer 400 sportsmans are 425's actually. They just seem dogged down because they were so heavy. The newest 400 is much smaller and sportier.

A 400 will push snow fine, but a 500 will be better. The Sportsmans work well because they are heavy.

The V-twins do the best because of the low end torque, but most larger atv's will push snow just fine.

My dad had a 400 Sportsman that had a plow on it. There was no problem with pushing snow or blackdirt.

Either way, a larger heavier machine would be a benefit for plowing. If you can swing the extra ching, opt for the Sportsman 500. One of the best motors in the 500 class. I would rate the Can-Am 500 Outtie second, but you also get the V-Twin with the Can-am 500.

Both the Polaris and Can-Am 500 machines give you different 4x4 systems, but both are rated the top 2 in the market (Polaris is #1), both have EFI, and both have IRS.

Both the Polaris and Can-Am 500 machines give you different 4x4 systems, but both are rated the top 2 in the market (Polaris is #1), both have EFI, and both have IRS.

Who rates these 4x4 systems #1 and #2?

I think all of the 4wd systems are pretty good.

I like Polaris because it is true awd on the fly, but I hate the rear tire spin before it kicks in.

Kawi has the only true AWD locker in any speed, but it doesn't kick in as soon as the others.

Yamaha has a good locker and is even better with a modification to get rid of the speed limiter. Suzuki same system.

Never owned or used a Honda, so I have no idea. Same with AC, but it has the same system as Yamaha and Suzuki.

Canam is hit or miss it seems. I have seen alot of video showing how it fails to spin all four, but some say otherwise.

With good tires, I have found that AWD isn't needed as much.

For plowing, I say anything with 4wd and getting past a speed limiter, they work great. I have had problems, bad problems, with a Polaris when one side on the front, shears a shear pin (older models). In that case it is a PITA to back up. Only one wheel spins, you get off-track and it really sucks. have not had any problems plowing with the new Sp500, except it does not have the power or speed backing up that my Prairie 650 had. That was a plowing machine. If I could have kept it financially just for plowing, I would have.

Originally Posted By: jltimm
If pushing heavy,wet,deeper snow, you'll wish you had low range. Especially with a belt driven scrambler!

what makes you think that?

Im even running modified primary and secondary springs, with a secondary roller conversion. My engagement is way higher than stock. I don't remember exactly what my tach says but I know I am up there.

I have a top cog belt which aids alot in cooling but I have never fried or smoked a belt at all.

jltimm,

most any review that is rating the 4x4 systems for ease of use praises the Polaris system. The Can-Am system has been improved to speed their engagement.

I've seen both systems in use and have had a Polaris in the past so take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Where is preddyfast?

If you haven't smoked a belt on a Scrammy, you haven't worked it hard enough. hehe

3 season of XC racing in Hare scrambles etc. Basically GNCC style racing. Not sure what more abuse I can do to this quad, its been worked pretty hard and has never let me down.

I agree that the polaris system is easy to use. Doesn't mean they have the "best" 4WD system in the ATV industry. One of the major reasons polaris sells is their simplicity to ride. Put them in gear and go. Single hand brake that goes to all four wheels. Push the button for AWD. Made in MN (USA). Although their 400-500 Sportsman engines (polaris's best engines) are Japanese (Fuji). When I had my popo the 4WD worked when it wanted to, and when plowing the front tires would engage and disengage making a loud clanking noise that sounded nasty. I have yet to have a problem with the Yamaha or Suzuki system though, and they've been through alot more than the popo ever was.