• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vinyl Siding on Fish house

walksonwater

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with Vinyl Siding on your fish house. How has it held up from trailering down the road and being in the cold?

Info appreciated!

I've been looking around at different options and the aluminum siding gets expensive.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Vinyl siding tends to crack when cold. A fish house tends to flex a little when trailering and vinyl siding generally holds out ok for a while. However, it's the classic case of you can pay a little more now or a lot more later if you go with vinyl siding.

Re-sale isn't as good with vinyl siding either for the above mentioned reason.

If you put it on the hitch end you will get a lot of cracks and chips from rocks off of the pickup tires unless you put a rock guard on the front!
Its cheap,looks nice(if its not broke) and dont add much weight!!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

Thanks for the replys. I was hoping to hear also from some of those that actually have a house with the vinyl on it.

My dilemma is if I go with the nice Aluminum siding, it's going to run me about $1200 to do the sides and roof. My shack is going to be 8 x 16 with an additional 4' v-nose.

The vinyl siding would have to have an underlayment for strength.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-27-2003).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You can get nice aluminum siding for your size house for approximately $630.

You should be able to get by with around 450 feet.

Check out Road King Outdoors - Click here.

Then click on the "Premier" link and scroll down to the Options & Accessories. Their siding is the nice aluminum.

Get the best for less. Definitely try to stay away from the vinyl siding. Vinyl will cost you more in the long run. It will have a tendency to crack, I've seen them after 4 years of use and it's not pretty.

Thanks Rick, I'll check with Matt on the siding. I'm hoping I can get it 16' in length.

The rubber roof is what I am planning to do as well. Thanks for the replys.

I'm still waiting on my trailer to get finished up and then it'll be balls to wall to get it done I'm sure.

Walksonwater I have a house with vinyl siding that i got from a contractor friend .they tore it off a home because it faded a little but i got it for nothing so the price was right. this will be the third winter and so far it has held up fine. I dont trailor it down the road alot though so that could be a concern.also i have a rubber roof on mine with no problems.

I see that you guys are talking about the rubber roofs. Could you tell me the process that you use to do a rubber roof? What size sheeting, pitched roof,flat roof,16"on center or 24" on center,how to tie into sidewalls etc. ?
BTW, walksonwater, have you considered regular house aluminum siding? Thats what I decided on because it is about 90.00 a 100 sqaure feet, and it should hold up a lot better than vinyl, and is light .

[This message has been edited by tightlines (edited 09-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by tightlines (edited 09-27-2003).]

Tightlines,

I've never done the rubber roof install before but I think my brother-in-law will give me a hand with that. From the sounds of it you just need to put an underlayment like press wood and glue. Here's a link I found:

http://frs.flatroofsolutions.com/install.html

I would prefer to do the aluminum for the sides but if it comes down to it I'll go with vinyl. Road King's price's are the lowest I've seen so far. Lenght is the key thought!

I built a 6 1/2 x 12 last year and used aluminum sheets that are 4x10 and it worked great. Riveted the bottom to the trailer and screwed the rest to the wood. Keeps the house on the trailer and stiffens the house up. There is no place for wind to come through except our vent holes. Sheeted the whole house for $250 and you can get it in different colors if there avaiable at the time. Ours is aluminum color with orange peel texture. Can be painted if you wish to do so.

Minneman, Thanks. You're right CDX plywood would be the way to go. Thanks.

jt24, I stopped down at Garelick Steel Co, they have pretty good prices. I'm hoping to get some siding where I don't have screws showing though. I'm still looking. Thanks!

I can't wait to my trailer so I can get started on this thing.

Hey walksonwater: WOW, you are gonna have a nice large house. I was curious as to who you were getting your frame from or are you building it yourself? I bought a roadking from Matt and they build a really strong frame. Let me know because I have a tip for ya if you bought a roadking... Doug

tightlines,

I talked with Road King today and I'll be getting my siding from them, a great price and you can order it in very long lengths.

I just can't wait to get this thing going!

RB

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-30-2003).]