• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger/ YarCraft/Warrior which one and why??

rodmaker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, to compare the Tuffy of the 80's to the Tuffy boats of today is like comparing apples and beef jerky. Not at all the same boat. Tuffy has come out with many new hull designs and models for many different purposes. They even have a new hull design that is going to turn some heads here real soon. I might agree that Tuffy does not have the name recognition as a Ranger/Yar Craft/Warrior, but I would say if some of you were to see a 1760/1890/2060 model up close and ride in one, you might just be impressed. I would also like to mention that I am in no way affliated with Tuffy boats, just happy to own one.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Can anyone comment on the Merc 125 HP's . The ones with 4 cylinders??? When you get down to 2000 rpms, two cylinders shut down.

I've seen a few Warriors advertised with these motors and wondering how they are. Am I better with a 4 stroke, or E-tech, or Opti max??

Not to say anything bad about any of these motors but I personally would go with a tried and proven 4 stroke. For no other reason than I am the conservitive type. Yamaha is giving 6 year warrenties on there 150 and 200 hp 4 strokes threw april I believe. The extra 3 years ussually cost $1500.00

My uncle had one of those Merc 2+2's some years ago and was nothing but trouble and they could never get it to run right. Is this indicative of these engines? dunno....but his wasn't very good FWIW.

I know a couple guys that had these motors, and fished with one of them quite a bit. Both guys liked their motors and they worked great. I haven't heard many complaints about them.

But it's older technology, and carbuerated so noisier / gassier / smokier than any of the DFIs or 4-strokes that are being made today. Of course, it's also a lot less expensive than any of the motors being made today.

Originally Posted By: rodmaker
Can anyone comment on the Merc 125 HP's . The ones with 4 cylinders??? When you get down to 2000 rpms, two cylinders shut down.

They're an ok motor, but they're fairly rattly & don't idle that well. They'll get the job done and run fine at top end, but aren't that great idling around.

marine_man

I own a 1760 (17' 6") Osprey model and fish mostly for Muskies out of it and the occasional walleye trip. It has a shorter beam at 84" than the 1890&2060 which are 19' and 20' 6" respectively with a 96" beam. If you check out Tuffy's HSOforum, they will give you full specs on all of there models including video of the boats in action. Fast hulls. I have a 150 opti on back and get around 50 mph. The rod locker is huge and there is a lot of storage.

Last year I upgraded from a Lund Rebel SC/40 hp Yamaha to a 2001 Skeeter 1775 tiller/80 hp Yamaha. (Basically, I needed a bigger boat for family and trying to fish bigger water.) The more I fish and use it, the more I like it. I'd fished out of a relative's Warrior and would say they are very comparable in terms of space, layout, trailering, etc. I never was in his in rough water, but the Skeeter handles it very well - although I believe all tillers get you wet when the waves get big enough.

I'd been told the 80 Yami was top-notch - and that's proven true. Honestly, I still think I'm in the "getting used to it" stage, but if Year 2 was like Year 1, I'll be a very happy Skeeter-for-life man. P.S. I paid in the range you are looking....but it took some shopping.

I have the ZX2050 skeeter and love the boat, this is the full windsheild boat. but I met a guy from my hometown while salmon fishing on Michigan last year that had the big Tuffy tiler and that boat really handled the water well, we fished side by side for sometime and I was glad to have the windsheild when she got nasty but miss the control of the tiler.for me I made the right choice for the family as well. I'm teaching my 13 year old daughter to run the gps and navigate by depth while I deal with the downriggers and tackle. If you ever plan to do downriggers and depth control fishing on big water this type of boat is just a bit more user freindly. good luck with the new boat.

I know of two people who have two older ones 2001 and their engines blew. (the 4 cylinder ones) They both take good care of their gear.

I know a guide in Ely, he likes it for getting from spot to spot, but runs his electric or kicker for trolling. He said they suck a fair amount of gas.

That doesn't mean you will have problems with yours. I have a 75 Merc and love it.

I own a '96 Warrior and for me it has been a good boat. I have been in the newer Warriors and for me the boat layout is continuely getting worse. The rod storage in the floor to me is a very poor design, takes up to much space. The pro tiller system is not even close to the Mertin's system. When I look for a new boat, I'll stay with glass, but most likely not Warrior unless they make some bigger changes.

Actually in the new Warriors you can get it in two different floorplans, with or without the in floor rod storage. The tournament series has the longer deck with the rod storage. I think that the storage options have gotten much better over the years.

Jason Erlandson

I personally wish they would go back to the older layout with the shorter casting platform.

The new layout without the floor rod storage would be my preference if I were buying new.

Still no luck on the older 2001-2003's. have a few people keeping an eye out for me. I may be contacting you late fall.

You have my e-mail.