• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Certinan years, brands to stay away from

setterguy

I can tell you I got a hellova good price on my 06's Gade (a little over half the price you listed). Parted out my 03 Rev and still had money left over to boot after buying the new one. Not a bad shake and I could turn around and make $1000 if I wanted to sell the Gade. Just got to find the right deal at the right time! grin.gif

But I hear what your saying on purchasing new sleds....especially in MN !!!

I was praying for snow all year even though I didn't have a sled to ride!!! LOL

Originally Posted By: CalderPointCabin
if the triples 2 strokes were so great, why has all the OEM's gone to twins and got rid of all the 2 stroke triples?

I really think it is/was a number of things.

- Demand from the consumer. Whatever section of the market is selling the best, that is what the manufacturers will produce.

- Advancements in technology. 1000cc Twin was never previously made in history. Engineers learned how to squeeze more and more horsepower and build bigger displacement motors than they ever had. They learned they could do it with 2 cylinders rather than 3.

- Twins are simpler. 2 carbs vs 3 carbs. You eliminate 1 choke cable, 1 throttle cable, 1 extra fuel line, 1 spark plug, and you don't have to sync 3 carbs together.

- Weight is definitely and has always been an issue. Twins are lighter.

Maybe triples will be the wave of the future as manufacturers are looking for ways to make power while meeting emissions standards. Who knows? Cat's Turbo 4-strokes are pretty impressive however so I wouldn't rule out 4 stroke technology either. One only has to look to Motocross to see what 4-strokes have down to that sport. You can build them light, compact, and still make a ton of power with a lot of snap on the low end.

On another note and entirely off the main topic....the E-tec will be availalble in the 2009 Skidoo's!! grin.gif

Fuel Economy - At 21 mpg US/25 mpg CDN, the 600 H.O. E-TEC uses 15% less fuel than the current Rotax 600 H.O. semi-direct injection (SDI) engine, 78% less fuel than the Polaris 600 CFI and 92% less than the Arctic Cat 600 EFI according to Ski-Doo.

Oil Economy - Most owners will have to add oil just once per season because of the added precision of the system's electronic oil pump and sophisticated computer mapping. The 600 H.O. E-TEC uses half the oil of the SDI and Polaris 600 CFI, and just a third the oil (66% less) of the Arctic Cat 600 EFI.

Emissions/smoke and smell - The 600 H.O. E-TEC is the cleanest 2-stroke snowmobile engine by a wide margin, meaning there's virtually no smoke or smell.

Lightweight - Because of its 2-stroke configuration, the 600 H.O. E-TEC is naturally lightweight for better handling and reducing rider fatigue. The MX Z TNT with 600 H.O. E-TEC model weighs just 415 lbs. (188 kg).

Hassle-free ownership experience - Engines with E-TEC technology start on the first pull every time; run with a super smooth idle and instant response; the platinum-tipped spark plugs are warranted for 3 years; and feature the industry's first automatic summerization function.

600 H.O. E-TEC owners will save real money over the course of a season. And the instant throttle response and near elimination of smoke and smell will make this engine a pleasure to own and ride for sure.

grin.gif

Had 2 96 xlt sp's. 13,000 miles on one and 8,000 on other. Both stock. Love the xtra 12. I did buy my share of inlet needles and seats until I learned of the viton tip. Biggest beef is sore shoulders after a couple hundred miles of riding. Have XC700 now and it sure vibrates more than the triples.

Good luck.

FLaker

Originally Posted By: fishersofmen
I agree with cementhead I have had 2 triples and they are fine. I sense a little bit of envy here from all the twin owners. Seems they've been smoked on the lake one too many times by a three banger!!

The only thing that can beat a F7 is another F7 (or maybe a F1000). Line up all the tripples you got and all you'll have is another sled a F7 will beat. A tripple is fine if all you do is run WFO across a smooth lake all day. Get it on to a tight twisty trail or a road ditch littered with approches and all you have is a heavy sled that feels like it will break in half if you hit another big bump!! Most people ride to have fun, not to get beat up by their sled.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
Enjoy your $7000 PLUS newer machines.... I'll take a $1700 98 XC with M-10 all day over that......especially in the summer with no payments. grin.gif ... that way I don't have pray for snow every year.....can you say killer depreciation!!! \:o

Man, I wish new sleds only costed 7 grand.

Originally Posted By: ArcticCat21

The only thing that can beat a F7 is another F7 (or maybe a F1000). Line up all the tripples you got and all you'll have is another sled a F7 will beat. A tripple is fine if all you do is run WFO across a smooth lake all day. Get it on to a tight twisty trail or a road ditch littered with approches and all you have is a heavy sled that feels like it will break in half if you hit another big bump!! Most people ride to have fun, not to get beat up by their sled.

OH REALLY. HMMMMM that is interesting. Guess I'll have to remember that the next time Im destroying both of them out on the lake.

TriPle has one "p" by the way.

Originally Posted By: 311Hemi
On another note and entirely off the main topic....the E-tec will be availalble in the 2009 Skidoo's!! grin.gif

Fuel Economy - At 21 mpg US/25 mpg CDN, the 600 H.O. E-TEC uses 15% less fuel than the current Rotax 600 H.O. semi-direct injection (SDI) engine, 78% less fuel than the Polaris 600 CFI and 92% less than the Arctic Cat 600 EFI according to Ski-Doo.

The problem with E-Tec is they lost a ton of credibilty with their nonsense and bogus propaganda and foolish infomercials that they put out to promote their direct injection technology.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
The problem with E-Tec is they lost a ton of credibilty with their nonsense and bogus propaganda and foolish infomercials that they put out to promote their direct injection technology.

Whats was bogus about those infomercials? A little facts or opinon would be nice.

I know my pops E-tec has been a GREAT and I am looking at getting one at some point!!! Will the mileage they posted hold true....time will tell. Just don't buy one the first year it's released in a sled!

It's funny how many people like the XCs. I have a 98 XC700 and had to replace the stator at 2500 miles, but other than that it has run great and turned out to be a very reliable sled. Paid 1300$ for it 4 years ago, so you can find them reasonably.

Originally Posted By: ArcticCat21
 Originally Posted By: fishersofmen
I agree with cementhead I have had 2 triples and they are fine. I sense a little bit of envy here from all the twin owners. Seems they've been smoked on the lake one too many times by a three banger!!

Sorry but i will have to disagree with some of your comments,, Before the advancements in the suspensions i will have to agree with you about getting beat up... But as far as out running anyone on the twisty trails or ditchs(Running hard in a ditch is plain foolish,, my youngest girl about cut her head off hitting a telephone post wire... Not to mention culverts).. nah .. all that has to do with is who has the bigger KAHUNAS,,,, In fast,hard and tight... Out is a simple point and pinch deal ... Of course big carbides,lots of studs,and clutching help \:D .. and again i will go back to it is all how you set your sled up.. Of course the experince of the rider has alot to do with it also ,, Just cross paths with the guy i ran down up towards Hill City few weeks back after he ran a 13 year old off the trail... Me and my little XLT mad.gif ,, him on a F7,and his budies on other various Cats and 1 Skidoo \:o

Hey cat21 its funny you said that cause when I bought my 2000, SX700R from this guy 2 months ago guess what was sitting next to it in his garage....yep an F7 maybe 2yrs old. And yes I asked him what was faster. He said on the lake the F7 will take it off the start easily but after a few seconds there goes the triple!!! Don't know why he would lie to me....