• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat vs. Polaris

JMo

I am looking at buying a two-up four wheeler and am looking between the Arctic Cat TRV Plus 650 H1 and the Polaris Sportsman X2 500 EFI. Will be used hunting, ice fishing and an occasional trail ride. I was just wondering what others felt about these machines. Thanks for your help.

Easy for me. I don't like Cat unless it had a Kawi Vtwin in it. Still then I would have to look around.

In reality, without my opinion, it would be a tough decision. Both are good tough machines with alot of accessories available. Maybe you could decide by the better dealership or better bargain. I believe AC has a good warranty. Maybe that could be considered. Have you ridden both of them?

having ridden both, either is a good machine. I have a cat that I use for fishing/plowing/trailriding. it is a workhorse and I liked the ground clearance the cat has. my cat will roll right over stumps and rocks that my sisters polaris hits.

if it's smooth ride you're after, go with the po-po. hands down most comfortable ride I've experienced!!

I personally don't like the way the cats turn, always seems like a struggle. On the other hand out of 2 2 bikes listed I would choose the cat for the bigger motor on a 2 up. Polaris will be a better riding machine and the ground clearance difference is right around 1" so that negates that argument for me.

Ride them both see which will fit your anticipated style better, talk to your potential dealers and see which will back you up if there are any issues. A good dealer would be the biggest deciding factor for me. My first ATV I bought solely on price and that dealership was worthless. My newest one seems like they will take care of you, their service is fantastic and they do this without a million $$$ showroom.

i would go for the cat, but i think the cats and the polaris's are the most breakdown happening machines you can get,,,count the posts on here and other atv websites..

i know the cats can go anywhere from the ones i have been around.

i disagree with the breakdown comment, it you take proper care of anything, it won't break down. it also depends on how you use it. if you "use it to it's full potential" it's more apt to see the shop than if you just use it for ice fishing, and pulling the kids around the farm and plowing snow occassionally!!!

LOVE MY CAT!!! that said though, I don't think there is anything wrong with the polaris either.

i didnt intend my comment to take over this fellows post...it was my personal opinion and from experience that is what i see.

no disrespect, i said i would take the cat over the polaris.

dont make this about me, we jab each other on brands all the time as jokes, that is all it was.

I agree with Kodiak 100%. Popo's and Cat's don't have the best track record for standing up to abuse well. The Cat's have the most stock ground clearance and will go through and over alot of things other stock machines won't.

I wanted a 2-up machine and did a lot of research before making a decision. When it came right down to it, there were just things about the Polaris that I liked better than the AC and that swayed my decision. At the time (last year), the Polaris had EFI, a larger capacity gas tank, integrated front storage, turf mode, locking rear differential, larger towing capacity, better diagnostics etc.

The two big things were: 1) the rear dump box on the Polaris whereas the AC has no rear storage/rack. I have used this more times, for more things than I ever thought I would and; 2) The transforming seat on the Polaris. When not in use, the seat tucks under out of sight, allowing full use of the dump box. It's much more versatile than the AC, which has no rear storage.

I outfitted my X2 500 with a front rack extender and brush guard, 2500# winch, plow system and auger carrier. I cannot imagine anything that I couldn't do with it at this point.

My bottom line advice is, go check them out for yourself. You may find things about the AC that you like much more than the Polaris, or vice versa.

With the price of these 2 up machines, it is much cheaper to buy a normal machine and a rear box with a seat and some fender protectors that have the foot pegs. May not be as nice, but how often are you going to use the 2 up? If it is used every time or the longer wheelbase has a use for you, then maybe it is worth it.

Or you could go with 2 machines. It's always safer and more fun with 2 separate atv's.

Thoughts?????..............

I agree Roofer on the 2 separate machines. Riding double on a single machine (non-2UP) I wouldn't recommend. Even though people have been doing it since ATV's were first built.

The problem is having a rider on the back of a single machine is there's more weight behind the rear axle causing the fornt end to be too light to safely operate the machine.

Cat and the popo's are like the chevy verse ford issue. I think people shy away because they are always breaking is there's MORE of them around. All I see out there are cats and polaris'.

Drive them both and look for the best deal.

I was in the market for a 2-up last year around this time. Wanted to use it for the exact same reasons you are looking now. I did a lot of research and really liked both of the options you are asking about. I bought the Sportsman X2 550 EFI and I absolutely love it. What turned me towards the Polaris in the end was the dealer. The dealer I wound up buying from has a VERY good reputation and has taken good care of me after the sale.

I originally thought I'd only use the rear box on rare occasions. Was I ever wrong. That has turned into another huge plus in my opinion.

Whatever your final decision, just make sure it will meet the needs you are targetting it for now, and some of the possible uses later.

Good luck with your search and purchase.