• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Trailers???

prov1900

What is a good trailer for hauling my machine around. I would like to be able to trailer on long trips. Like boat trailers, are there some better than others/some worse? What is a ball park figure for pricing on something you guys/gals recommend? Not looking at an enclosed trailer, although that would be nice. Looking for something that would haul two to three machines.

Am I better off, price wise, quality wise, going with a custom "homemade" trailer?

Looking for any opinions. Thanks.

With more than 2 machines, a 3 place snowmobile trailer works the best. If two or less the atv trailers seem to be the most popular with the larger wheels. Proper maintenance is the most important part.

I have a Karavan 3 place snowmobile trailer and I would rate it right in the middle as far as quality. The Titan trailers seem to be a little better, but the price is higher.

New prices on average are around $1000 for a 8 1/2 x 10 trailer and around 2000 for a 8 1/2 x 16. The longer trailers come with tandem axles, which I like better because they are more stable and ride smoother. The 10 ft. long trailer can be had with a tilt bed, which is nice, but I use a ramp anyhow to strap them sideways.

There is torsion axles and leaf springs for the two different suspensions. I have used both, and the torsion axles seem to be the favored of the two. I didn't notice alot of difference myself. The leaf springs are a little cheaper.

I hope this helps you out with your decision. The guys with the atv trailers can give you their advise as I don't have one.

OK, if you are strapping them in sideways, do you use a cover for the individual ATV? Does wind play more of a factor in that? Speaking of covers, what do you guys/gals use? Is the Cabelas brand (the gray one with the logo) any good? Or is there something better out there? Thanks for the responses. I am giddy now that I have an ATV and can play in this forum grin.gif

I bought a triton 2 place ATV trailer. It is as small as you can get and still haul two ATV's. With a single ATV, I haul it facing forward, with 2 ATV's I haul them sideways. I love it. It has a ramp that stores underneath. The reason I like it so much is it is extremely light, and it is smaller so it takes up the least amount of space in my garage. I've had it for 2 years and would buy the same thing again in an instant. Just my 2 cents.

kdawg,

What did that cost you, if you don't mind me asking. I still haven't got a trailer yet. Just using my ATV blasting out the snow in my driveway. Love it, but need to get a trailer to use it for icefishing.

I have a 6.5x12 utility trailer. It works well, but I wish it was 2 ft longer. I can haul 3 wheelers or 2 wheelers and a fish trap. If it was 14ft, I could haul 2 fish traps and 2 wheelers. I personally like the utility trailers because of the sides.

I have a steel 5X8 trailer that I haul my Rincon in. Not the greatest trailer, but it served the purpose at the time.

If I had to do it all over again, I would splurge and get an aluminum trailer (ALUMA is the brand of preference) that could haul 4 machines or I would get something enclosed to keep the machines out of the elements. The bad thing there is, as 4Wanderingeyes has mentioned in past posts, is the enclosed trailers pull like a parachute.

Go new...I used to deal with my homemade, custom trailers that took allot of maintenace. A new trailer gives you the safety and reliablity to ride more and worry less. Life's too short and a good trailer will last a large part of your life...moving days, hauling lumber, etc.

I got the single axle ATV128 from triton ($1500ish)...It has room for three machines or two machines and a couple ice shanties, mower, tree stands, deer, etc....

I can't remember exactly, but it was in the 1200 to 1400 dollar range. You can call Tousley motorsports which is where I bought mine. I think the exact trailer is the ATV88, but you can look it up on the Triton HSOforum to be for sure. I felt like spending the extra over steel was worth it just due to the corrosion factor in MN alone. Sorry it took me a while to get back at ya, I've been gone for a while. Good luck.

I just sold a Newmans 4x14 single axle aluminum and replaced it with a Aluma 6314 tandem. I have only pulled the new trailer once but the tandem axle is a nice improvment. I also like the 13" wider deck and the extra 2ft of length, I can now put my sportsman with tracks on the trailer with the hitch and my otter lodge still attached. It is a very easy drive up/back off to get fishing.

Remember that those little snowmobile tires have to make more revolutions than larger wheels/tires. I know a few guys that went through 8 spare tires between MN and CO for an Elk hunt. They were loaded heavy and going fast in warm weather.

Don't forget your Big Bore American Machines, "wet" weigh a lot more than most 1-up trail sleds pulled on cold roads.