• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki Eiger???

prov1900

My first time here, because I am about to be the proud new owner of an ATV. Looking at the Eiger, an 07 400. Any thoughts on these? I am going to use it to blade out my driveway and icefishing and hunting. The hunting is pretty tame, so don't need a 700. Thanks for any replies. Again, I am really, really new to the ATV game.

prov1900,

Welcome to the best forum on FM grin.gif. Ok, ok, I'm a little biased smirk.gif Every machine has its ups and downs. Did you purchase already or still in the thinking stage? You should be able to get a 400 for good price, I would think.

Still in the thinking stage. I just turned 40. Had a huge party. I was surprised to find an 01 Kawasaki Prairie 300 in the shed for a present. Pretty cool. The Kaw is/was just a prop, with the promise of something different if I wanted. I don't personally like the Kaw because it is a little cold blooded. The owner wants 3 k for it which comes with a blade. With blue book pricing it sounds about right. But I am now thinking that if I am going to spend 3 on an 01, why not get brand new for 5 or 5500? I like the dealership that sells the Suzukis and Hondas.

What is your thought? I am all ears and still ATV less for a couple of days. Dying to get one though. Never thought I would want one, but with all the cool stuff you can add to them and the thoughts of going to LOW or someplace exotic for icefishing without having to "walk", I am getting jacked about it more and more. Plus I am really getting tired of shoveling my driveway.

Thanks for the replies. Do I need a 700? What is the honest difference, other than the obvious, between the sizes of motors? Meaning, what am I going to get with a 700 that I may not get with a 4? Not being a smart "A", just have no idea.

You don't "need" the 700 wink.gif But after owning it you may desire a little more. Depends on the rider preference. I bought my 500 with basic ice fishing intentions and ended up finding ways to use it on a regular basis. I am waiting for the dealer to get my new machine in.

If you look at differences between the Eiger and the King quad you can see what will better fit your use. Don't be afraid to ask to ride the machine before you buy. You may prefer Independent rear suspension or straight axle.

See if your dealer or some dealer has 07's in stock, as they should be willing to "deal" on them. Your options for Suzuki would be the Eiger 400, Kingquad 450, Vinson 500, Kingquad 700, and new for 08 the Kingquad 750.

You don't need a 700. 700s are good if you wanna go fast or spin big mud tires, thats about it. I have just a little 400 Sportsman, and it does good. If I were you I would look for a machine with, indepentent suspension, 2WD 4WD switch, true or locked 4WD can be nice too. Also if your going to carry things on the racks look for a machine that has good big racks with alot of tie down spots. Alot of the Jap machines have little racks. I would look at the Suzuki King Quad 450, Yamaha Big Bear/Grizzly 400 or 450, Arctic 400 or 500, Polaris Sportsman 500, and maybe the Can-Am 400 or 500.

I was in the same position as you are until about three weeks ago when I bought a 700 King Quad. I don't go fast either but the price difference was ony 3oo dollars compared to the 450 KQ. I know nothing about the other models but I would ask about how much weight the suspensions would handle if you are considering pulling a wheel house. A few bucks more now may save you from getting a machine that won't do the job you wanted. Good luck and enjoy your new b-day present.

Good point on that (wheelhouse) but since I live in the land where 8 inches of ice is a good year, a wheelhouse isn't in my future. I would only be pulling a portable. That brings up my next question. I am storing other people's boats and mine in the same shed. Can I use something that small for jockeying boats around? Short term basis/short distance, i.e. less than 100 feet of towing at a time.

Have a Suzuki King Quad 700, love it. Its great for ice fishing, high clearance and great power and comfortable with 2 adults pulling 2 sleds! Its also a great work machine. I use mine up at the cabin for hauling brush, logs and everything else.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a camo 07 400, tonight. I paid 4700 for it. Couldn't beat the price, or at least that is what I am thinking. No buyers remorse, how could I go wrong. I figure I will get a few years out of this and trade up to a bigger one if necessary. Thanks for all of the advice.