• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lense Rental Options in MN

Paul

The eagle shoot is why I want to rent something better than I have. Only problem is most buinness hours don't open till 9'ish. And I won't get there in time on Friday to pick something up. I will maybe have to have my bro pick it up on friday and pay 2 days rentall. I just don't see myself being happy with those shots using my current 100-300 f5 sigma kit lense. I works ok with good light, fast shutter and a tripod but other than that it is a little rough. THe Turkey shots I posted last week were with my junky telephoto, which turned out ok, but not great. I will figure something out. Maybe I can get that West company to ship it to me, then I just return it when I am there. I find it easier to pay a $75-100 rental than to plop out 1200-1500 a week after christmas. crazy.gif

West is great, I have used them a couple times before. I rented a 24-70 2.8L for a car show shoot there and I rented a 5D for a wedding shoot there. Great service, but call ahead and get your name on their list for renting a particular lens. You can reserve it up to one month in advance, and the best part about it, if you have your brother or someone pick it up for you on Friday, after 3 o'clock, you get it until Monday before noon to return it for a one day rental fee.

If you need, I work downtown, and I could pick up the lens for you if you were to give me the mula to cover parking expenses as I normally catch the bus to work. I live in Blaine, and unfortunately can't make it to the eagle shoot, but I would be willing to help you out if needed.

Tom

West Photo is the place in the metro area, though some of the more popular lenses have that "well worn look". Another option is to use one of the on-line lens rental companies, there are a couple that are very good. I believe that the rates are very good and you normally get the lens for a longer period of time. Do a google and check the rates, its just another option to consider.

Ahhh grasshopper, your going to like this news! If you pick up a lens after 3:00 on a Friday and return by Monday before noon, West only charges you for one day rental!! Atleast thats how its been when I've rented lenses in the past.

Wow, as polar and buzz pointed out, that's a lot of shooting for one day's rental! I've got a couple things coming next summer down there and that could just make renting another lens or two worthwhile. grin.gifgrin.gif

Paul, which lens are you looking at?

Paul, I was checking out their rental gear and thought I'd comment on some possibilities and offer a suggestion or two.

I saw the 100-400 isn't available. The 70-200 is available, as well as the TCs, so that would get you to nearly 300mm and is a good setup.

You might also consider the 300 f4L IS, which is only $25/day and is very easy to handhold. The 300 f2.8L IS is there as well, but aside from being twice the money it's a lot heavier and would be harder to get used to without a lot of spare time.

Either of those lenses will focus faster and more accurately on your XTi than the 70-200/TC combo (TCs slow AF down ever so slightly), and of course image quality is best with the primes, though the 70-200 is easily Canon's sharpest series of telephoto zooms. All these lenses will focus faster and deliver better IQ than the 75-300, which is a nice lens but has more limitations.

I should also add that panning BIF shots with Canon IS lenses generally work best in IS mode 2, which is designed for panning. Some BIF shooters actually leave the IS off (I leave mine on), because they believe the split second it takes for IS to engage is a split second wasted. I haven't found it to be a problem.

The setting may have something to say about zoom vs prime, though. Buzz has already said that 300mm should be enough, but Buzz, what are your thoughts on the zoom vs prime thing at that location?

I will say their lens rental rates are quite good, and stretching that "one-day" rent over the whole weekend is outstanding. You may find some limitations over what's actually available since the shoot is now only about two weeks away, so it's probably a good idea to give them a call.

Sounds like it's going to be a LOT of fun whichever lens you get. I see lots of CF cards getting full in a hurry and a whole new thread on this board full of cool. eagle shots. grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve, I was also looking at an online option of some different prime lenses. compy called lenserentalpro or somehting to that nature, They had good reviews and I could get a 2 week rental with insurance for only $116. Would give me some good quality time to get used to the lense. I am just worried that with the way my shedule will be I will not have time to get a lense in the cities without relying on my brother, who is a engineer for the railroad and is on call 24/7 7days a week. SO just not sure the best way to proceed. All I know is I am not going into that setting with my P-O-S 100-300 sigma. MY sigma has good quailty on some things but not on others, in a bright sun it is great. THe pics I took at the air show in Fargo shooting at 1/2000 sec iso100 turned out fantastic but knowing my luck, It will be dark, cloudy, hazy, foggy, raining, snowing, blowing, blizzarding, monsoon and a tornado all at once in the exact spot buzzsaw sets me up in, and everyone else will have nice clean sun shots with a cold brisk air to make the colors pop. ( i had better becarful don't want to get "UN-invited" tongue.gif

Needless to say, My other half is a little peturbed that I am spending to much $$ on photography gear and not getting anything in return (yet). WOrking on small people and pet portfolio to start marketing my self as and in-your home or setting people with their pets photographer. I beleive that in a market the size of Fargo/Moorhead and surrounging (aprox 300,000 strong) I should be able to make enough taking pictures for people then custom designing calenders, christmas cards, etc to buy my one nice 70-200 f2.8 L. laugh.gif

Sounds like you've got it figured out well.

I started doing photography professionally with the idea that I could make enough just to continue to upgrade my equipment over time, but soon become so interested in it that I eventually abandoned my day job.

I think you'll have a nice market where you are for what you'd like to do, and wish you the best good luck with it!

The online thing sounds pretty good (I don't know that company, but there are plenty of good reputable equipment rentals online), and they'll likely have all the lenses already talked about.

Definately give them if you would like to rent one of the lenses. The 300 F4L IS should be pretty easy to get, otherwise the 70-200 is probably available, I think they have 4 total in the 70-200 models for rental units. When I rented the 24-70, they had three rental units. The weekend rental rates are great there, and if I ever need to rent equipment, I would schedule it for the weekend. Using a 5D for a weekend to shoot a wedding was a dream come true. I am just waiting to see if they will get a 1D MKIII or a 1Ds MKIII for rent in there anytime soon. I can imagine their rates would be 200 and 300 respectively, which is a great price to rent one of those bodies.

Paul, I would think your area would be large enough for a pet photo studio. I ran across a HSOforum and gallery of a pet portait photographer in Burnsville, MN. He has some awesome photos. He actually invited me to stop in, next time I'm in the area. Unfortunately, I doubt Marshall is large enough for anything like this. Of course, you'd need to spend more money on lighting, backgrounds and props. Just a few shoots a month could bring in some serious bucks. You just have to convince the other half that it takes money to make money.

Paul thats why I mentioned the online renters, I know a few folks who have been very satisfied with their experiences. Rates as mentioned above are better for a longer period of time. I'm sure you will find something that works.

Good thoughts, XT.

Paul in the meanwhile (if you want studio space eventually), you can style yourself as the type of photographer who comes to the client and works in the client's familiar and comfortable surroundings.

While studio work can produce stunning images, I emphatically don't want studio work because I don't care for it. That's totally just my preference and bias and not meant as a negative toward the many talented studio shooters.

Also, many clients appreciate a photographer's willingness to come to them, and you can tailor your approach in that direction until you get some studio space, if studio space is what you eventually want.

And just as most clients like a variety of posed and action types of portraits, I'd guess they would like both types of shooting for their pets.

Eventually, you certainly could offer pet photography both ways. To build a bit of a library, you can photograph the pets of friends and rellies to help develop your own style and offer examples to prospective clients.

It's a lot of fun building up toward finding that first batch of clients. grin.gifgrin.gif