• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a used sled

DTro

For the past few weeks, I've been back and forth on getting a sled or an ATV. The snow so far is kind of helping my decision.

I'm got a pretty good feeling about a sled that I'm going to be looking at tomorrow night. It's an '02 500 Polaris Classic Touring 2up. Has all the goodies with approx 1500 miles.

This would be my first sled, and will be mostly for fishing and some trail riding up north. Are there any things that I should look for in general and also specific to this machine?

One of my worries.

No good place to store it, with my boat being in my third stall and a 2 place wouldn't fit in there anyways. I might be able to squeeze the sled alone into the third stall next to boat.

What do most people do? Keep it outside?

The cold shouldn't hurt it at all, mine lives outside all year long w/ no probs. Snowblow a space on the side of the driveway and your good to go. Make sure you have a cover to keep the snow and salt off and wash off the sled/trailer before/after transporation/storage. This is gonna be a good year to have a sled!

redhooks

I would look at the track 1st, with only 1500 miles it should look like new. If there's chunks gone it's been beat. Take it for a spin it should'nt miss a beat, overall it should look to be in great shape with that low of miles. Check the compression if you can. Good luck

ugh

I'm so bad when it comes to making large purchases. I analyze things until poof it's gone.

That hasn't happened yet. But I wouldn't be surprised. I planned on picking it up tonight, but something came up. So now I get to think even more.

Help a brother out here. Tell me I won't regret this purchase.

The other thing is that I think the price might be a bit on the high side. What would a guy expect to pay for this sled (based on excellent condition with a 2 place aluminum sledbed trailer that has gas assist tilt, traction bars, ski guides and salt shield?

Hey Man,

Pull the spark plugs. How do they look??

Or are they new, ask why are they new & ask to see the old ones.

Ask which oil they used in it.

Feel the engine first to see if it's cold. If it's cold, how many pulls does it take to start it??? If too many, that's probably what'll you get.

How does everything else look in their Garage?? Taken care of or a messy dump?? May indicate how the sled has been treated.....

Check it out real well. If you got a bad vibe, walk away. If not, go for it.

LET US KNOW!!!

Good Luck, bro.

I would say that is a very nice and good sled. Depends on what the price it is on whether it’s a good deal or bad deal. Nice trailer, its what I would want for a trailer.

I used to dedicate a complete single stall of my garage to four sleds. I did this out of respect for the sled and the sport. Driving by someones house and seeing sleds outside, was considered a cardinal sin in my book. Now days, with the lack of snow for like 10 years, I my self store my sleds outside. You can not see them from the road, but they are outside. I cover mine with sled cover and then a tarp from Menards. I stuff the sled with fabric softener sheets (almost a whole little box per sled) before I cover. This keeps mice and chipmunks out better than moth balls. Keep it off of the ground with wood blocks or on trailer and you are good to go.

It looks like Hanson is going with you. I think he is a good guy to have in your camp when looking at a sled. If he can not make it and as long as the sled is not in Bell Plain or Mankato, I would help you look at it. Just give me an e-mail and let me know.

Good luck

P.S.

The trails up here right now are in great condition. The groomers have been out for over a week now. I would figure the further you towards Mill Lacs, the better it gets. The Soo line should be a great ride right now. I feel the trail riding is coming back this year, not just the ditch hopping. I tell ya, you guys think pulling those houses out last weekend was a work out, try going on a couple hour ditch dipping and culvert ducking expedition. That’s a work out grin.gif. Good luck on your sled purchase.

Quote:

How does everything else look in their Garage?? Taken care of or a messy dump?? May indicate how the sled has been treated.....

Good point!

Another very far fetched situation to avoid, is go to license bureau and change over title of sled with seller. This way, if any questions of ownership, the sled is stolen or lien will be found out before sled changes hands. That or call in registration numbers before you purchase the unit or go down and ask the state. They do not mind helping at the bureau. Check the trailers license situation. Is it still a plate, is it current or does it have life time sticker. It does not hurt to call in the registration on trailer either. Cover your bets. Do your homework.

One trick I learned when I was young on what to look for when buying a sled was to look in seat trunk compartment very well. If sled was sunk, during water skipping or going threw ice, you will find debris in seat trunk. Try to see the foam of the seat. If foam is dark yellow/orange and flacks off, it’s seen water. If it’s nice and bright yellow/white, it’s still a virgin to the bottom of a swamp.

I would say $2000 would be in the ball park for trailer and sled. I would say this would be deal range. A little under would be great, a little over would be ok. I have been out of the buying circle for years now, so this is just a thought with today’s rates evaluated in a little and with current snow fall in mind. You possibly have checked this out, but other buy/selling forums for current market price is another good way to find out what the market will bear.

Always ask for at least $200 under what they want, this will help in buying a helmet and other items. After visiting with seller for awhile, feel them out. If it feels right, make up a story about strapped funds and start at $500 below asking price. They will always tell you someone else called yesterday. 9 times out of ten this is a ploy. Do not be afraid to walk away and tell them you want to think about it and do not call until next day in the afternoon. Just showing up is a key sign of interest and you have the funds to purchase this unit from a person who needs money. If they tell you another reason they have for selling unit, its for the money, unless you see a new machine next to it in garage. This will give them time to think about your offer and call you. If you feel comfortable with price, call about 24 hours after seeing the sled.

I tell ya a little short story. When I bought my 03 Bobcat s185, I shot seller a $3500 under asking price offer. It was during an off peak time of year and it was being stored at a friends house. Plus I was in market slightly for one, so I was willing to wait for something cheaper. He said “No”, but offer $1500 off of asking price. I politely said “I would think about it, but it was over my budget“. I went home and kind of forgot about it. 5 days went by and I get a call from this guy wife. She said right away, “do you still want the Bobcat”, I said “yes”. She said I could have it for the price I offered. I went down, wrote a check out in to the lending company he owed money to (Ingersoll-Rand)

and the rest in a check to him. The rest is history

I figure you are out buying sled right now, so this could help someone in future.

Good luck DTRO and post some images of the new purchase.

Well, I pulled the trigger tonight. It was a bit more that your figure Shack. The trailer alone is worth more than a grand from the research I've done.

Everything looks good, has dualie carbides, 12x suspension, trailer hitch.

Motor was cold and it popped right off.

As a bonus, I was even able to squeeze er in next to the boat in the garage!

Thumbs Up buddy! Think you got a good one! Just wish it was Green but oh well....grin.gif

Dtro & I tossed around all sorts of numbers, scenarios, conditions, what to look fors, etc last night and it kept coming up as a decent deal. Could it have been better... maybe. Could it have been worse... maybe. The big question was it a deal that worked for both parties... sounds like it!

Our problem now is we have snow on the ground and people are chomping at the bit to go snowmobiling. I popped into Heinen's this afternoon to pick up a X-mas present and the phone was ringing off the hook there with inquiries about new sleds. The market is going to take a positive turn for a bit.

Quote:

Just wish it was Green but oh well....
grin.gif

For now, I'm sled neutral grin.gif

I would've had no problem being a green goblin. Just none available at the time. I actually called on 2 different Panthers and there were gone already.

I already made my first boo boo. Tilted up bed of trailer, started it up, threw it in reverse and it wouldn't budge.

Tried again.....nothing.

Things went much better after I loosened the ski bars blush.gif

I wouldnt be to worried about the Polaris if it has been taken care of. I have a 95 INDY 500 that I bought used 6yrs ago from my nefphew and the only things that I have had to do above normal maintance was carb kits 1yr because I forgot the Stabil.Use good quality oil and at least 89oct fuel and you should have good luck with that sled. Good Luck!

Quote:

Heinen's

That’s a good place.

I grew up with GM and he is a great guy to call if you need to find something, have a question or shoot the B.S... Also I used to ride with him when I was younger and he is involved in a pretty mean out west trip in Feb. all my buddies go on. He is able to provide a back up sled, if someone breaks down. John is a great guy.

I also have some pretty mean water skipping footage from his old Farm in Rogers.

Dtro: I think you made a very wise and good purchase. I do not know how you could go wrong.

Watch out for Barb wire, culverts and trees. The big three. grin.gif

Good luck and do not kill your self. cool.gif

Welcome to the good guys "POLARIS" camp DTRO. grin.gif

You have purchased a bulletproof machine "seriously" I don't think you could have picked a better machine for what you will be using it for, awesome for icefishing with electric start and reverse, two up when you have to carry another person or the wife and light enough with power when you want to tear up some groomed trails or ditches.

Shack was quite a bit off on his numbers for $2000 you get a 97ish plain-jane 500 "not a classic" with a steal trailer. Just your machine alone would be around $2500 PLUS..and another DIME for the trailer.

I would throw a tow strap in the back compartment the're nice to have in a pinch when your riding with Ditch Pickels.... grin.gif

Congrats!

Really Pier,

Like I said, I have been out of the market for way to long.

Trailers on the other hand never loose value that much, snow or no snow.

Dtro's still sounds like a very nice sled. Like a Roadking on snow cool.gif

That's pretty much what I paid Gary.

Took er out for the first spin tonight. Yikes......this is just a tad different then the old Johnson Seahorse I used to have grin.gifgrin.gif

Funny story, we were riding along the river bottoms and we finally came up to some high ground/large field. I got up and told my wife to take over. She was all excited.....she started easing her way across the field and I shouted, "ah come on you wussy, let's go"

she was just about punch it and I looked to my left and see nothing but antlers above the tall grass!! shocked.gif

I was just about to reach up and grab the brake and this MONSTER buck gets up and jumps straight up. She stops the sled, gets off and shouts..."I'm done" grin.gif

Biggest buck I've ever seen.