• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biggest high school rivalry in Minnesota

vermilionwally

Quote:

I would agree with all the "Roseau-Warroad" chat but being that I played for Grand Rapids, I'm going to have to go with Greenway and Grand Rapids. However, the rivalry isn't near as storied as it once was.

Yes, the Warroad-Roseau rivalry was big, but as I played for Greenway in the late 70's, I'll go with Greenway-Grand Rapids. The tickets would go on sale the day before, and the games would sell out in an hour. It was a blast, stepping out onto our ice or theirs, the building was packed and loud, and always hard fought games, although G-R had the edge on us those years. As papabear said, alot of us knew each other, or at least saw each other around quite a bit.

agreed on the roseau vs. warroad but in this state, that's almost a given answer! in the cities, i'd agree with Rinc's kennedy vs. jefferson vote and would have to also add in cooper vs. armstrong. that's always a packed house and (at least when i was at armstrong 12+ years ago) almost always would turn into some 'good' fisticuffs on AND off the ice.

The Elk River-Moorhead battles of the mid to late 90's were awesome!! I was also at that game that went 4 OTs....I missed the first 3 periods as we had a traveling basketball game at Hallenbeck Hall then walked over to the hockey game and watched over 3 periods of scoreless hockey until Cullen I believe scored the winning goal....good memories!!