• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV pulling strength

johncolson

The problem you're likely to have is that the atv won't weigh enough to give you enough traction. Power could be an issue too if you're coming up much of a grade or off a soft bottom, but I would think that weight and traction are going to be the biggest problems.

I am not sure but I would think about any ATV with 4x4 and an engine of 500cc's or higher will work. If you have ever been to any of the moterized portages in the BWCA that is what they use. A few years back I took my family up to Trout lake just off of lake Vermilion. I had a 16 ft Crestliner, loaded with 5 days worth of camping gear and 5 people. (3 kids) Anyway, you pull up with your boat drive it on the trailer and that 4 wheeler pulled us right out of the water up a decent sized hill and put us back in the water on the other side. I never left my boat. I don't remember what kind of wheeler it was but it didn't have any noticible modifications on it other than beefed up tires.

I would think it'll depend a lot on traction surface. My 300 is rated to pull up to 1400# and I have used it to pull a 300bu. gravity box for short distances including up hill. That box probably weighs in excess of 1500# or more.

Bob

Even if you can pull something like that, braking is more of an issue in my eyes. Once something has started moving, it's a real pain to stop on an incline or decline if you don't have the brakes for it.

I have used my Arctic Cat 650 H1 (2007) to pull the folks' 17.5' Sylvan Adventurer with 125HP engine on it. Engine power is all there, no worries. Only problem is at 20mph or greater the front tired don't stick much to the ground, and you have a super wide turning radius. (better if you are running in 4x4)....but the ramp is fairly steep...and there is no problms doing that at all.