• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

plasma vs. lcd vs. dlp

Kodiak

Depends on if you want the best picture regardless of footprint, or if space is an issue then that narrows it down too.

That's the first question that needs to be answered, then go from there.

Could you elaborate on that? I also am clueless when it comes to TV's. I've heard a lot of rumors but I am not too sure about the facts.

I've been under the assumption that LCD is the way to go.

I think I am jumping into the owners catagory today. 56" Samsung DLP 1080p full HD 10,000:1 ratio for $1499 at BB. 4 Yr extended for $249, free shipping and 18 months interest free. Plus if I do the deal by tomorrow they are throwing in an XBox 360 pro with 2 games valued at $350. How can I go wrong?

Windy

Quote:

Could you elaborate on that? I also am clueless when it comes to TV's. I've heard a lot of rumors but I am not too sure about the facts.

I've been under the assumption that LCD is the way to go.

Well a DLP is more of a set-top TV, where it sits on a stand and is well over a foot deep. It's a projection type TV. If space isn't an issue then the DLP can also be considered along with the plasma and LCD.

If you are looking for a wall-mount then the DLP option is automatically thrown out due to it's size and it's narrowed down to plasma and LCD.

Personally I like the picture of a DLP TV over the LCD/Plasma because of the darkness levels they can achieve. LCD is getting much better though and is a good option. I think that as LCD's keep getting larger (which was their biggest drawback when comparing to plasmas which typically can be any size) they will eventually eliminate plasma sets altogether. The negative to DLP's is that they require a light bulb that has to be replaced periodically and that can cost hundreds of dollars for the bulb which the user can easily replace.

If you watch sports then Plasma is the way to go because of the higher refresh rate and contrast ratio. (It won't blur a little with fast movements.) LCD's have deeper blacks, a nicer picture (comparable models) and they have alot longer life expectancy.

If you are going over 42" get plasma because it will be cheaper.

I watched the Superbowl on my Buddies 60" Sony DLP and it was awesome it seemed the best of all worlds but it has a huge foot Print.

My next TV will either be the Hitachi 42" Plasma or the Panasonic 42" or 50" which teh 42's run about a grand.

If you are going to buy an LCD get a Samsung. They suppossably have teh best technology, my Dad one and it is nice.

Don't forget that all these TV's suck without high def.

Just my .02 hope it helps.

Yeah, that's a good point about HD. SD on these HDTV's looks pretty bad compared to viewing on a regular TV because of the resolution and usually you're going up in screen size which never helps the picture quality of SD.....just magnifies the horrible picture that much more. If you don't have a HD source you'll probably be disappointed in the PQ of your new TV. Unfortunately there is more SD content than HD right now, so you'll have to deal with watching a lot of SD on that fancy new TV.

Little birdy told me that a Samsung 46" LCD is going on sale this Friday (door buster sale) at Sears for $1999. This model has been replaced by a new one, but when it first came into the market it sold for over $3000. We have one at work and it's a nice TV. Blows a plasma out of the water with it's 15000:1 contrast ratio and I wouldn't hesitate in buying a slightly older "new" model for that price if I was shopping for one that size.

Limitout,

Just plunked down the dinero and picked up the 56" Samsung DLP and a minor correction to your statement, the slim depth model rings in at 11.5 inches, not the 4 inches to allow a wall mount but at 65 lbs it is very moveable and looks good on the shelf. You need somewhere to put all your boxes anyway unless you are going with a closet mount and then you have to go to your closet to change DVD's. I got the bad boy for all the above specs and sold the X Box for a quick $300 which took my price down to $1199. With a 10,000 to 1 Contrast Ratio how can you go wrong? It is a sweet machine but the sound does leave a lot to be desired so I am lining up a 7.1 In Ceiling flush mount speaker system with about 900 watts of power. Should be Smoking by Christmas!

PS: The light bulb has a 5000 hour lifespan and is covered under your extended warranty, when the red light comes on you call them and they come out and replace the bulb for free.

Windy

Guess I was off by 1/2". grin.gif

Good to hear about the new TV. The lamp replacement is interesting though. I'm guessing it's just a one-time deal then? I had a bulb that lasted well over 4000hrs, and then another that went barely 500! I wasn't really happy about that, but they don't guarantee the life of the bulb so you're basically stuck. Kind of a rip-off IMO.

Limitout,

When you said, well over a foot, I know you were refering to the old models that were about 16" deep. The new slim depth has broken the foot mark by a whopping 1/2 inch but it still looks sweet and the weight is unbelievably light at 65 lbs. And as long as you have the extended warr. the bulb issue is a non-issue, let them do it!

Windy

Windy I see you bought yours at BB, I bought one from them a few years ago, I live about 30 miles away from the closest servicing place. Sure they came out adjusted and worked on my tv, charged me $150 for travel fees/ service call! I too had the extended service plan, I called them up and complained, they told me that, that they pay for only parts and labor, and if I lived outside of the local area, they could charge me for milage and time! I got my money back for the ES. That was just my experience though! It may not be the norm.

Wandering,

Something to consider for people that are a ways from their local store, luckily I have two Best Buys that are within 2 miles of my house, one is about 6 blocks and the other is about 2 miles but I bought the set there because the local tax rate is 6.5% compared to 8.75% in the other county! I also saved on the shipping by picking it up myself in my brother in laws pick up.

Windy

i decided on a 42inch Sharp Aquos LCD. space is somewhat limited in the basement and this will fit nicely into a small seating area next to the larger open area. I got it for 799.99 but its not the 1080 type. Right now its better than what I have and the phrase, "fake it till you make it" suits my budget better. In the future I will be looking at a DLP for upstairs. The wife bought this stupid corner entertainment center a year ago and it will only fit about a 32 inch TV, and 12 inches deep will easily fit on this thing.

I have new 60" plasma 1080 by Pioneer. Very, very nice. A friend of mine owns a home/commercial theather installation business. He mostly does high end installs at homes and restaurants, bars so I got a pretty sweet deal from him on this. He claims there is a big difference between the brands. Brands like Pioneer and the better Panasonics are head and shoulders above the LG, Aveo, Westinghouse, etc. The price reflects that but I guess you get what you pay for, as they say.

We are in the market for an LCD set so I checked out Consumer Reports and for sets over 40" they pretty much have Sony Bravia and a Toshiba model as #1 and #2 rated with a couple of other Sony Bravia models filling in the top 5....just an FYI because I really am pretty clueless about this whole technology except what I have read in posts on FM....

Daze Off